Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2019, 05:31 AM   #1

03 fuel tank removal /fuel problem

New to me 03 Discovery 39s Cat 3126. Drove 60miles home and parked in driveway . Start in the morning and pull into shop. No start after that moment. Cranks fast (12.6volts) almost runs but stops when key is released. I crack line just after the pressure relief valve on back of head and do not have fuel spray (cranking)then unhook line completely and have only a drop of fuel. Remove fuel filter which has rubbery black goop on “in” side of filter. Cut open filter and find black media. I have blown air towards the tank and pressurized tank to move fuel forward. I intend to drop the tank and replace fuel lines and install Davco 382 filter in place of spin on.

It appears the dual fill pipes final connection to the tank ends in 1 1/2” ish threaded pipe into the top of the tank. Is this correct?? Any other ideas on dropping the tank are welcome. I’m also pondering the idea of a pusher pump addition near the tank . I intend to draw fuel from a bucket to see if I can get the Cat running in the interim. Any and all ideas are invited !! I am friends with the old owner who’s last trip was from Southern California to Michigan problem free. He will owe me some cocktails
xzostd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2019, 01:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like there was water in the tank then it started growing algae. You have a couple of decent options before pulling the tank. Do a search on fuel polishing in your area where they will come out and pump your tank and run the fuel through a filtering system to remove the algae. The other option which I would probably do first is to treat the fuel with a hefty dose of biocide then buy several fuel filters. Be sure and prime the filters before installing. Once the biocide has had time to kill the algae you then get to drive it till it starts to starve for fuel and keep changing filters untill the algae is gone. This may take several filter changes but the frequency should decrease as the algae is filtered out.

Pulling the tank would be my last resort. I had to have one pulled and it was a major undertaking, first pumping the tank into barrels then in my case part of the body frame work had to be notched in order for the tank to be removed. On my coach it had to be done due to a leaking fuel tank. Took a Freightliner shop two days and was not cheap.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Sounds like there was water in the tank then it started growing algae. You have a couple of decent options before pulling the tank. Do a search on fuel polishing in your area where they will come out and pump your tank and run the fuel through a filtering system to remove the algae. The other option which I would probably do first is to treat the fuel with a hefty dose of biocide then buy several fuel filters. Be sure and prime the filters before installing. Once the biocide has had time to kill the algae you then get to drive it till it starts to starve for fuel and keep changing filters untill the algae is gone. This may take several filter changes but the frequency should decrease as the algae is filtered out.

Pulling the tank would be my last resort. I had to have one pulled and it was a major undertaking, first pumping the tank into barrels then in my case part of the body frame work had to be notched in order for the tank to be removed. On my coach it had to be done due to a leaking fuel tank. Took a Freightliner shop two days and was not cheap.
I’m pretty sure it’s not algae but just fuel line deteriorating but I will know more as I observe my fuel filters. I may add the biocide as a precautionary measure.

It’s alive!! After blowing out line to tank and filter assembly/holder I installed new filter I pressurized tank to prime system and fired her up. (Now keeping in mind that I’ve owned this three days ) to the smell of burning rubber! I shut it down and could see the serpentine belt was off! Alternator was frozen causing the belt failure. When I pulled this into my shop originally I intended to replace fuel lines , belts,alternator,water pump, thermostats etc. as preventative maintenance. I’m only imagining if a non mechanic had bought this unit that had to pay for service The fact that all of my problems occurred while parked in my shop is incredible
xzostd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, problem, removal, tank