RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2019, 10:52 AM   #1

04 Revolution engine and trans overheating

Hi all,

Just joined today. I look forward to being part of the family and thank you for all of the helpful information i have already recieved.

I have an 04 Fleetwood Revolution 40C with 44,000 miles that I purchased last summer. I have put about 8,000 miles on it without any issues.

During the last 3 trips the engine and trans temp has started to rise together while pulling grades. Last trip the engine temp rose to 225F and the trans temp 1 bar above normal which it never reached anywhere near normal in the past even on the steepest grades. I realize the trans temp is within spec but seems to rise when coolant temp rises?

I have verified the folowing:

The fan is kicking on although i cannot tell if it ramping up to 100% (seems to be)

There is no oil present around the radiator or trans cooler.

I removed the trans cooler and checked for blockage between the radiator and trans cooler, none.

The fan shroud is intact and sealed properly.

Any ideas?
SteveSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSS View Post
Hi all,

Just joined today. I look forward to being part of the family and thank you for all of the helpful information i have already recieved.

I have an 04 Fleetwood Revolution 40C with 44,000 miles that I purchased last summer. I have put about 8,000 miles on it without any issues.

During the last 3 trips the engine and trans temp has started to rise together while pulling grades. Last trip the engine temp rose to 225F and the trans temp 1 bar above normal which it never reached anywhere near normal in the past even on the steepest grades. I realize the trans temp is within spec but seems to rise when coolant temp rises?

I have verified the folowing:

The fan is kicking on although i cannot tell if it ramping up to 100% (seems to be)

There is no oil present around the radiator or trans cooler.

I removed the trans cooler and checked for blockage between the radiator and trans cooler, none.

The fan shroud is intact and sealed properly.

Any ideas?
Where are you traveling and what is the outside temps?

I traveled in Arizona, California, Utah, and surrounding areas this summer. Outside temps normally sat around 100 on most days.

On long grades the coach would easily overheat and alarm out. I usually gear down to get the fan speed up higher and also turn off the dash AC and turn on the dash heat to get the temps down as quick as possible.

Sometimes you have to take it slow with high RPMs to keep the coach cool while traveling in extreme outside temperatures.

I think the worst place for this trip was driving into Vegas from CA. There was a section that was long and relatively moderate grade. When you can't control the temps try droping down to 2nd or 3rd gear.

Overheating is usually why you see big rigs stopped at the top of a hill and/or taking it slow.
atroph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Yours a side radiator I take it?

Your descriptions sounds like a dirty radiator....

Just by removing the transmission cooler may not allow you to really tell if there's a air flow restriction though radiator and charge air cooler.....

It's not a horrible job to remove the CAC and clean it and the radiator while it's out.

I just recently removed my CAC and washed out radiator with simple green, then this July went from Florida to Montana, never got over 200 or so degrees....
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:27 PM   #4

Thank you for the responses. I will remove the CAC and clean thoroughly.
SteveSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:00 PM   #5

Thermostat should be easy and inexpensive to replace. It maybe sticking and not opening all the way.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:54 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Wish I could help but I'm not a Fleetwood guy and far from being a mechanic!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:04 PM   #7

yes to cleaning the radiator and a double yes to downshifting ,, makes a heck of a difference.. I've had the same thing between Reno and Salt Lake .. also going over the grapevine in CA ..
Both of the above help
9dreizig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:10 AM   #8

Have a 2002 revolution with rear rad and cac. Did the Cali to Vegas then onto Utah last year and had my first overheating alarm in Utah on I 70 , a rather steep climb on west end heading east. Had some other high temps on long grades during trip ( yep, I 15 headed from Cali to Vegas) anywho, got home , inspected rad and cac from engine compartment. Cac was worst part, tried to shine a powerful.flash light from Engine side toward out side and could barely see, after 8 hours of cleaning, again and again with all sorts of de greasers, I got it as clean as it probably was from factory. I made a wand that I attached to a garden hose that blew ou at 90% and I stuck it in between the Cac and rad and blew towards the outside and inside , After I felt like it was as clean as possible I took my little inspection camera and snaked it between the rad and cac and it was really clean also did the flash light trick from inside and had wife watch from outside and she said it was really clear. As I said the Cac was worst part being it is closest to engine . The cac has larger cross tubes with less fins than a rad so it makes sense it would become clogged easier and the fact that it catches the blow by oil from the engine adds to the issue. While I was at it I went ahead and changed the coolant and all hoses along with the thermostat. I have not had a chance to see what it does on a big grade , this year we stuck close to home in South Carolina , 3 trips to Surfside beach but one trip to Disney . We have had some hot weather driving and it has not exceeded the 195 temp mark .
Darin1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:30 PM   #9

Nice write-up Darin
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, heat, heating, overheating, revolution