Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #15

Austin....I watched your video and much better understand what's happening. Do you have the Owner's Manual? My system is semi-automatic and may differ from yours somewhat. And Lord knows I am no hydraulic technician. But, again, it sure seems like your pump reaches a point where it can no longer build enough pressure, hits a wall...and shuts off when it overheats. Just a guess. In my OManual, there is a good diagram of the Jack Valve Assembly and its 3 jack leg solenoids. There is also a very good wiring diagram. My system includes 3 leg solenoids and a dump valve solenoid. I believe the 3 leg solenoids control fluid to the jacks....and I surmise the dump valve solenoid would control fluid back to the reservoir when raising the jacks. It may be that the dump solenoid is hanging up somehow.

The "trouble shooting" part of my manual lists these possible causes for "Jack Will Not Extend, Pump Is Running" - 1) Fluid level low, 2) Pump harness fuse blown, 3) Dump valve solenoid faulty, 4) Valve solenoids miswired, 5) Other (contact Power Gear).

The thread on this forum that I referred to re the solenoids, with pics, is Things Go Thump in the Night....I believe. Perhaps it would help you in some way. If it were me, I would talk to the P/Gear folks (IF you can get a hold of them) and ask about the dump solenoid. Also, has anyone worked back there in the vicinity of the pump and wiring area that may have dislodged a wire or 2 and perhaps did not rehook them properly?

Good luck, and please let us know what you find out! Thanks....Heap
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I reviewed 'Things Go Thump in the Night'. I too had that problem right up until my current problem. So maybe the two are related. I sent all of my information on this issue to PowerGear this morning and will wait for a response.

It sounds like I have the same system as you, 3 jack Power Gear. I checked the fluid again yesterday. When I removed the filler bolt, a bit of fluid came out but it looked very clean. However it may be the original fluid. Is there a chance that flushing the system and replacing the fluid would solve this problem? Also, is your user manual in a soft copy that you could email to me, or paper only?

buztan99@yahoo.com

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #17

Austin....been my experience that just looking at fluid may not tell one the whole story. Valves and seals could be gummed up or worn, with the fluid looking fine to the naked eye. By the way, my O/Manual is a paper copy, smaller pamplet. I don't have any way of getting you a copy. I would check the Power Gear website if they have one. Perhaps an O/Manual would be there. Many other manufacturers have this kind of info on their sites.

One question...what kind of chassis do you have? If it is a Freightliner like ours, perhaps your local Freighliner dealer might have some experience with these....although they can be a bit expensive.

One other question....does your panel indicate "level" when the pump is still running or after it stops? Your video showed it "level" AFTER the pump stopped running. Maybe if it shows level while the pump is still running, the control board thingy might be at fault....I just don't know. These are questions you need to bounce off of the Power Gear folks.

Re draining/flushing fluid, it wouldn't hurt. And if it were me and the fluid were drained, I would sure be tempted to pull all the solenoids and inspect and clean them. And I would probably order and replace the dump solenoid if the price is at all reasonable. Maybe just a good cleaining of these guys will solve the problem. Nothing complicated...just tedious with a need for extreme care to keep things clean.

Really sorry I can't add much more. Hope someone else on the forum can jump in with some additional thoughts or hlep. Also hope you get it tracked down soon.....Heap.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:31 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here's the latest from PowerGear after they watched my video. >>

The left, right and the power gear logo were blinking at the end of the leveling cycle. This shows a failure mode error and if it is when the jacks are extending this is an internal timer tripping in the control box that timesout the auto leveling to prevent the jacks from overextending. Try and recalibrate the control box to set a new level and see if this fixes it. Make sure also the control box is mounted securely upside down with the arrow pointing toward the front of the coach. If after resetting the zero level this does not fix it, it may be a bad wire harness, touchpad or control box.

Any other suggestions on how a shade tree mechanic can locate and fix is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:48 PM   #19

if you have your jacks down do not remove your fill plug their is a lot of pressure on it and you can be hurt badly just make sure all jacks are up..
algotto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulics, jacks, leveling, leveling jacks, leveling jacks reservoir