Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
05 Revolution repair log : stardate 3-17-14

The rev is out of the Spartan shop with new rear airbags, and engine flashing.

Shop tuned up the genset too, purrs like a kitten.

Off to the next shop to have the musshee wall looked at, and a few other various things.

They removed all of the cabinetry today, and figure there is a total of 5 leaks in the upper drivers area. Wall is being removed as we speak.

BUT they also noticed that part of the roof near the front of the cab has separated. They aren't sure if it's water damage / leak into the interior of the roof, or just a flaw in the roof design, and I'm not yet positive that it's a big enough deal to cry over just yet. (stepping stone bus, might could leave "not repaired" as long as leak is sealed and no further damage is occurring - or maybe it's worth the expense to repair.)

Also, the passenger slide brake/lock is shot, but you can't buy that part without buying the whole motor.

Will know more tomorrow on the leak in the wall / roof, and the anticipated repair process. Wish me luck.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
My condolences. Let's hope it's all down hill from now on.
2007 Saturn Vue RedLine
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
haha, we shall see Whatever happens, it will be fine. Either there's a lengthy expensive repair, or I eat being upside down on a trade... one in the same...

Part of me says if I cough out what's needed to get everything right, then I could make this bus last 10 years or more.

And another part of me lingers on websites with photos of newer buses...

The fiscally smart thing to do is refurbish what I got (bad grammar) and be happy.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:41 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds like you have the correct mindset for RVing. There will always be things to be repaired even if you do trade and buy a newer coach. Sometimes you have to grin and bear it. Friend of mine lost ability for passenger side airbag to level just when we were preparing to leave a local campground in Perry, Ga to move over to the FMCA rally. $550 and a day later all is well. He was pissed at first but then figured to just grin and Baer and move on. It's important to stay positive no matter what. Good luck with your renovation. I have a fleetwood / American coach product so am interested to see how things end up for you. Post some pics if you can!
Longweekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:16 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Will do
Old 03-19-2014, 06:00 AM   #6

Sounds like you have a good shop to work on it. They are very hard to find. Sorry to hear of the additional issues and hope everything works out.
Catch14me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #7

You will get it sorted Jay. You took a gamble when you bought her with a mushy wall, win some, lose some.

Started my flooring saga, check out my thread in the class a forum after this weekend ;-)

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:06 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Tis true - here's the update

Shop found a total of 5 leaks in bulkhead around wall, all sealed now.

Shop is also changing all marker lights on front cab and rear cab too as they are all cracked and full of water.

Readjusted wipers to reset on windshield.

Is installing battery pull out trays while checking the batteries.

Shop also found air leak at the compressor block leaking on both front and rear lines, plus leak at drain low points, tightened those up and exercised the valves, still leaks but only slightly.

Shop found that cabinet over couch is hanging low because the inner piece is separated from the roof, will fix next go around as not enough time right now, fine to ride next trips.

Shop is installing surge protector under bed at the breaker panel.

Shop is looking at what it would take to mount tv in space where cabinet was instead of putting cabinet back in.

Shop found that roof is normal, no water in there, and according to fleetwood, the roof is a floating roof, where the inner is not attached to the outer, so some play is normal there (whew)

Shop said all in all that the coach is in very good condition and won't disintegrate, melt, implode, explode, cause a sink hole, or rip a hole in the universe - good news. He went on to say that these were some of the best coaches ever made, sturdy, solid, very well built. It's just a matter of *some* refurbishment and it should give me years and years of great service - his words. So that makes me feel good.

Also, I received the headlights, and they are going to try to squeeze that swap in too this trip, if not, next trip.

Shop is also going to try to reseal the front and rear cap if they have the time.

He told me that once it's sealed, those seals should be inspected closely every 6 months as gaps form readily with the twisting, and that it's common to have them resealed every year to two years.

So next round will be to fix that cabinet over the couch, tie up the open wall, replace some foggy windows, and then onto some cosmetics - paint and handles. And for me, I personally would like new captains chairs, take out the dinette for something more useful, and possibly re-stuff the couches. So far, I'm well under my 30k fix er up budget.

i REALLY like this shop, they call me and doesn't feed me bs, also, they got a hold of my extended warranty and were very happy to use it! I need to re-up that sucker.

OH they also found that the brake / lock on the passenger slide is shot, so they are replacing that too... that might explain why the slide moves while driving
Old 03-20-2014, 06:14 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
forgot one other thing, sensor on rear leveling jack is bad, shows down when not, swapping that out too.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:11 AM   #10

Jay,
Awesome report. I bought a progressive industries power protection unit, will install in power bay with remote in the front electronics cabinet.

I also have a TPMS in the mail. I chose the tire minder.

I am very curious what they are doing for the battery tray. I would like one. I just replaced my chassis batteries, and am considering replacing my coach batteries. Would be great to have a tray. Will require BOTH a tray and some wiring tho!

I also have a ton of new marker lights sitting on my bench. 2 were dirty/hazed so I thought I would replace all 8. They are OEM Jeep Parts ;-)

Only real evidence of past water intrusion I found in my couch when I pulled up the carpet and tile were:

On passenger front slide, likely due to an open window.

On passenger rear slide - likely due to a slight gap (I can see flashlight light) at bottom when slide is deployed

On drivers front slide under a side window.

For the window ones, it is obvious the water stained the subfloor but was likely a once or twice type of event so probably the windows were accidentally left open.

Front looked bueno.

Any ideas what batter slide tray hardware they are using?

Great that you found an awesome shop!

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Jay,
Awesome report. I bought a progressive industries power protection unit, will install in power bay with remote in the front electronics cabinet.

I also have a TPMS in the mail. I chose the tire minder.

I am very curious what they are doing for the battery tray. I would like one. I just replaced my chassis batteries, and am considering replacing my coach batteries. Would be great to have a tray. Will require BOTH a tray and some wiring tho!

I also have a ton of new marker lights sitting on my bench. 2 were dirty/hazed so I thought I would replace all 8. They are OEM Jeep Parts ;-)

Only real evidence of past water intrusion I found in my couch when I pulled up the carpet and tile were:

On passenger front slide, likely due to an open window.

On passenger rear slide - likely due to a slight gap (I can see flashlight light) at bottom when slide is deployed

On drivers front slide under a side window.

For the window ones, it is obvious the water stained the subfloor but was likely a once or twice type of event so probably the windows were accidentally left open.

Front looked bueno.

Any ideas what batter slide tray hardware they are using?

Great that you found an awesome shop!

Chris
I am not sure what slides they are using for the batteries, but I am sure if you called them, they would be more than happy to tell you. It's bob jones RV, and you would ask for Chris.

They told me this on the front marker lights.

1) He told me something about the fact that they are all tied together somehow, so it's a pain to remove them?

2) He said they lay down a large sheet of styrofoam on the cab up top and then lay down on it as you can't walk on the cap.

3) Replace with LED's so you don't have to change bulbs for a long time.

He said changing the fronts was like a 4 to 5 hour job. I wasn't exactly sure what he meant by "tied together" but he almost made sound as it they were mounted to an internal bar that had to be removed.. not really sure there.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
on the batteries he said the way our coach is wired up, the batteries get pretty constant draw / charge. He told me that checking the water level every 2 to 3 months was going to be important.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
OH one more thing, he said the best place to put the surge protector is behind the transfer switch, he said occasionally generators could spike too, and having the surge behind the transfer switch would keep everything from hitting the breaker board. Sounded smart to me.

The electrical bay doesn't provide access to the transfer switch and the only way to install there is to cut the 50 amp cord and splice inline, but that would be before the transfer.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I might have gone with AGM batteries to eliminate the need to constantly monitor the water levels. That said, even our '11 Revolution lacks a slide out tray for the batteries, which would make eventual service or replacement a lot easier.
2020 Jeep Wrangler toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair