Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2017, 08:45 PM   #1

05 Southwind, Generator issue, runs great but no power at AC outlets.

Left for dry camping on Friday evening. Pre checks included running the generator and verifying all AC outlets worked. I even ran the AC for abut 5 mins. Low and behold once at the camp site needed to run the microwave for a couple mins, turned the generator on started up no issue. I looked at the main panel on the wall next to the bathroom, I see nothing happening on the panel. Normally a green LED light would move around in a clockwise motion and then I would hear a clicking at the main circuit breaker panel as it checks all the breakers, once that is done I would see the LED on the panel lit up next to 30 AM or 50. Well the generator started up but nothing was lit up on the panel.. it was dark, and no power no none of the AC outlets. So I started at the generator, ONAN 5500, reset the two 30 AMP breaker,, no change, I reset the breakers at the main circuit breaker panel in the bedroom, no change, I pulled and verified all 3 fuse at the inverter under the fridge, no change...I reset the GFI AC outlet in the bath room. no change.. so at this point I am out of options. Now back home, I hook up to shore power all works.. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. In addition to that the panel that show water levels, LP, Battery AUX and MAIN reading is completely dead.. no reading when the buttons are pushed... I appreciate your help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2017, 09:02 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Check to see if your battery disconnects are closed. On my Bounder if the disconnects are open the utilities panel is dead. For the issue with the generator you may have a bad transfer relay. It may be stuck on shore power and not switching over for the genset.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #3

Sounds like you have a 2 separate issues at play here. Might be related might not be.
1) No AC power from the generator. You are getting power via your shore power connection. For that I would check the transfer switch. Seem slike you did hte proper thing in checking the Generator circuit breakers and the main circuit breakers. I would alos cycle all of the circuit breakers on and off just as another step. My gut says the transfer switch is the culprit here.
2) No LEDs on panel, no water levels, LP, Battery AUX and MAIN sounds like a wiring/battery issue (maybe because the generator uses the battery to start and it started) or possibly a BCC issue. For that I would troubleshoot via the BCC troubleshooting guide.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #4

so I found the transfer switch in the bedroom under the last chest of drawers. I uncovered it made sure all the power was off. Tapped the switches lightly, everything now works just fine. I can only say that it appears that the switch was stuck. Thanks to all.

Tags
generator, power, southwind