Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2021, 05:53 PM   #1

'06 PA how to separate brake & turn signal lights

For such a large vehicle it has only one red light for both brake & turn signal on each side, and they're not very bright at that. Also, a large reflector section was left completely empty even though the mounting bracket behind it was made to take a bulb socket in that position. Fleetwood, how cheap could you be?? I successfully added a socket for that part.

Anyway, I wanted to add a couple more LED lights to compliment what's there, including a yellow one specifically for the turn signal. I bought a converter that is supposed to separate the brake and turn signals into 2 wires but it doesn't seem to work. From what I've read maybe such converters only work on circuits using PWM (pulse width modulation) to accomplish multi-functionality with one wire.

Chances are this vintage PA just turns the light on constant for brake and on/off for ts. Unless someone knows how to finagle something, maybe with some magic with relays, I'll have to give up on this approach. Anyone know where to find wires up front to distinguish brake from ts's? I'll have to run wires the length of the rig (38') but if that's what it takes...

Ron
vagaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2021, 07:19 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I used a 2 to 3 wire converter when wiring my toad. The 7 blade receptacle on the back of my coach had the brake and signals combined whereas I wanted them separate on my toad. All is working as I wanted it to. I installed diodes in the toad so as not to back feed coach power into the toad electrical systems.
Old 11-15-2021, 06:56 PM   #3

Typically, if the brake light blinks for the signal, the, "split," is controlled by the turn signal switch under the steering wheel. You might be better off running new brake light wires directly from a new brake light switch on the brake pedal, and using the existing wire for the signal only.

Kevin
Old 11-15-2021, 08:19 PM   #4

I hope I'm understanding this correctly.....

Is this similar to the converter you're using?
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-56196-2-...046EKPHY&psc=1

My 08 Terra had 3 tail lights, 1 turn, 1 brake and 1 running, all separate.

I used this converter and wired it in reverse to make 3 brake/turn and running lights instead of the stock.

Sounds like you want to do the opposite?

Did you change the sockets from double filament to single for separate functions?

Which fixture are you using for your running lights?

The wiring should be readily available due to you already have brake, turn and running wires there. Just have to decipher which is which

Yes, very frustrating Fleetwood really cheated out when it came to rear lights
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1962.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	348966   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_119f.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	348967  

Old 11-16-2021, 12:08 AM   #5

Kevin D,
You're probably right. Seems somewhere in there, maybe at the steering column, the left/right signals have separate wires I could use, then find the brake light wire. All of this may have to wait as I need to get other things done before a few days' trip next week.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vato View Post
Is this similar to the converter you're using?

Did you change the sockets from double filament to single for separate functions?

The wiring should be readily available due to you already have brake, turn and running wires there. Just have to decipher which is which
Yes, the converter is the same type. I attached a photo with labels to show how the taillights were originally configured. About half the area only has a reflector and an empty area that was obviously meant to have a light in it.

There is no double filament involved. For the brake/turn light there is a single wire and a single filament bulb. The bulb is simply on or off rather than switching between low and high intensity. Yes, it's that hokey.

Since the signal is not "encoded" in any way such that the converter could split them, the converter is useless. When I wired in the converter I got nonsense results. So, I think as Kevin D said, if this means enough to me I'll have to tap into the separate signals at the front of the coach. Sigh...

The only improvements I was able to make is changing the puny little running light to a brighter LED and adding a socket with the same type LED to the empty space. At least now it has 2 running lights on each side that are more visible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA-rear-lights.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	348973  
Old 11-17-2021, 06:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagaron View Post
There is no double filament involved. For the brake/turn light there is a single wire and a single filament bulb. The bulb is simply on or off rather than switching between low and high intensity. Yes, it's that hokey.

S
The only improvements I was able to make is changing the puny little running light to a brighter LED and adding a socket with the same type LED to the empty space. At least now it has 2 running lights on each side that are more visible.
You should have wiring back there. You may have to open the split loom (or untapped the wire bundle) to find your wires..

There is usually an industry standard regarding colors

Yellow-left/driver brake/turn
Green-right/pass brake/turn
Brown-running
White-ground

Always confirm yours are correct

see these pics...

The first pic is the 7 pin trailer plug wires. these should be an independent circuit from your tail lights and fused independantly. I suppose you could use these if you wish

The second pic is my rear lights wire loom. I assume you should have the same or very similar

Due to our similar year and brand I would assume our wiring should be very similar
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	349161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	349162  

Old 11-23-2021, 06:29 AM   #8

Thanks, Vato. I will check this out when we get back from our trip this week. I had considered the trailer plug wiring but thought its brake/turn would give me the same problem. I will see...
Old 11-23-2021, 10:30 AM   #9

There’s one filament in the bulb that is the brake light. The power to that filament is broken by the turn signal flasher. You’d need to retire around the flasher to do what you want. Send the brake light past the flasher. The flasher breaks the original circuit. You’ll need to reconnect the flasher so it makes the circuit to your yellow lights.

Tags
brake, light, lights