Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2015, 01:38 AM   #1

12 V Lights Flicker

Hello everyone...
I was wondering if you could help me out. My 12v overhead lights flicker and get dim when on shore power but the lights get brighter and are fine with the engine running. Thus, I assume with the engine running I am not using the converter. I did notice that my shore power cable (hooked to the camping shore power) is missing the ground plug. Could this be an issue?

Sometimes while on shore power...my air conditioner takes a couple times before it kicks on. It tries to kick on...then stalls (surges)...then kicks on.

I do have a multimeter with me.

I believe that my converter is located under the refrigerator but how would I check the converter?

I have a 2011 Fleetwood Bounder Classic. You have helped me in the past...so I am anxiously waiting for your RV expertise.

Thank you for your time!
jstarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2015, 11:37 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Start by disconnecting from power then open your Automatic Transfer Switch box. Tighten each wire connection and also check for burned wires. This is actually a maintenance item that in my mind should be done at least once a year.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #3

Easiest way to check the converter is to measure the battery voltage unplugged then measure it plugged in. Should go up or you are not charging your batteries or supplying your 12 V appliances.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:21 PM   #4

I'll second Nothermark. I am guessing your Air Conditioner is also running of the AC from the shorepower, the symptoms may be caused by the bad connections that Bdpreece points out. Measure the shorepower voltage at the outside box, then at an inside socket and then with the Air Conditioner on. All should be very close to the same value. (+/- 0.3 volts or so). If there is a lot of difference then you are losing AC voltage due to bad connections or damaged wiring. This can affect your battery charger, as well as make your AC appliances die an early death. And not having a ground to the RV is just a life-threatening dangerous situation.
Starsekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:52 PM   #5

Thank you. The battery voltage under the steps (house batteries) do rise with the engine on and falls when the engine is off. I believe this is the way to check the batteries?
Old 10-07-2015, 12:54 PM   #6

Thank you. I probably should know this...but where is my Automatic Transfer Switch box. It is located above the passenger seat or are you speaking of the converter under the fridge?
Old 10-07-2015, 12:55 PM   #7

Thank you. I will check these voltages.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:03 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstarch View Post
Thank you. I probably should know this...but where is my Automatic Transfer Switch box. It is located above the passenger seat or are you speaking of the converter under the fridge?
Most probably located very close to the end of your power cord. Mine is in the compartment where the cord is stored for traveling. If you throw the AC breaker at the box when you turn it back on you should be able to hear it transfer (thunk)
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #9

1. Yes on checking battery voltage. Converter voltage into batteries should be a little less than the engine voltage in my experience (14.2ish vs 13.8ish).
2. Not familiar with your coach, but the transfer switch is often in the same compartment as your shorepower cable. (If you have one, they are only necessary if you have a generator or inverter that supplies 115VAC into the coach wiring)
Old 10-07-2015, 01:21 PM   #10

Great!! I know where that is located. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2015, 01:22 PM   #11

Thank you. I know where that is located. Thank you for your response!
Old 10-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #12

I know you have thought of this, but it doesn't hurt to say it; unplug your coach from the shore power pole before you open the transfer switch box.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:10 PM   #13

And test the connections, both screw and wire, for voltage before you tighten them.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:26 AM   #14

Yes, I will do that. For now...I only found a junction box in the area with the shore cable. Opened the junction box and everything looks fine with wire nuts. I still need to locate the transfer switch.

Tags
light, lights