Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #1

12 volt to toad

2013 Bounder 35k
The plug outlet on rear of coach has 7 contacts. Brake and directional connections are ok but no power to 12 v terminal (black wire). Called Fleetwood who said it was Ford chassis problem. Ford said Fleetwoods. - Surprise! Bounder said it may be fuse under dash. No fuse box there. Fuses for tail lights are in box under hood but all fuses are good.
Almost ready to run wire from batteries to rear to keep toad charged while traveling. I have run a wire to toad battery from plug on front with 30 amp fuse
Any ideas where fuse might be on coach.. ?
Golfergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2017, 07:45 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfergo View Post
2013 Bounder 35k
The plug outlet on rear of coach has 7 contacts. Brake and directional connections are ok but no power to 12 v terminal (black wire). Called Fleetwood who said it was Ford chassis problem. Ford said Fleetwoods. - Surprise! Bounder said it may be fuse under dash. No fuse box there. Fuses for tail lights are in box under hood but all fuses are good.
Almost ready to run wire from batteries to rear to keep toad charged while traveling. I have run a wire to toad battery from plug on front with 30 amp fuse
Any ideas where fuse might be on coach.. ?
I would bet it never was wired with a extra 12volt power line. Most people just run a charge wire. I have a TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer
I have never installed because I don't have a problem with my toad battery going dead. I think it is still in the basement storage.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:25 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
See my thread here: Two Electrical questions 2016 Canyon Star--- Toad & Solar

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289313

I found wiring was run by Ford but not connected on either end. Good luck!

Wes
Wesslvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:38 AM   #4

Golfergo-

Here's the scoop.

Ford does not provide a 12V charging line on the F-53 Class A motorhome chassis. They leave that up to the "coach builder"- in your case, Fleetwood.

Some manufacturers do run their own. Our coach has one.

It pains me to say it, but I no longer trust what REV Group (current Fleetwood manufacturer) technical support says about any of their non-current coaches. I could trust them until last February, when they moved the tech support to Indiana, and many, if not most/all, of the old-timers didn't make the move. On my calls since then, they seem anxious to disavow any knowledge or responsibility for information on older coaches.

That's a long-winded way of saying that your coach may have a 12V charge line. A place to look for evidence is in your owner's manual. Page 5-4 shows a hitch connector diagram, and the 12V charge line is called out. The next place to look is inside any fuse boxes Fleetwood provides for chassis-related circuits. You are not interested in any Ford fuse boxes. The owner's manual implies there may be a fuse box inside the outside front compartment. If you can discover such a box, and the cover has a label, it may call out a charge line fuse.

NOTE: Typically, a 12V charge line is ignition-switched; if so, it will only show a signal with the ignition on.

Here is a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts with the terms "2015," "Bounder" and "charge line" in them.

It may seem like too much effort to search for a charge line, but the benefit is that future owners of your coach will not have to figure out what you did.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:05 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Golfergo-

Here's the scoop.

Ford does not provide a 12V charging line on the F-53 Class A motorhome chassis. They leave that up to the "coach builder"- in your case, Fleetwood.

Some manufacturers do run their own. Our coach has one.

It pains me to say it, but I no longer trust what REV Group (current Fleetwood manufacturer) technical support says about any of their non-current coaches. I could trust them until last February, when they moved the tech support to Indiana, and many, if not most/all, of the old-timers didn't make the move. On my calls since then, they seem anxious to disavow any knowledge or responsibility for information on older coaches.

That's a long-winded way of saying that your coach may have a 12V charge line. A place to look for evidence is in your owner's manual. Page 5-4 shows a hitch connector diagram, and the 12V charge line is called out. The next place to look is inside any fuse boxes Fleetwood provides for chassis-related circuits. You are not interested in any Ford fuse boxes. The owner's manual implies there may be a fuse box inside the outside front compartment. If you can discover such a box, and the cover has a label, it may call out a charge line fuse.

NOTE: Typically, a 12V charge line is ignition-switched; if so, it will only show a signal with the ignition on.

Here is a link to a Google search of iRV2 posts with the terms "2015," "Bounder" and "charge line" in them.

It may seem like too much effort to search for a charge line, but the benefit is that future owners of your coach will not have to figure out what you did.

Unless the F53 chassis purchase spec is unique to Newmar (I doubt the wiring runs change), I believe you are mistaken.

See my linked post above. The wiring is there, just not connected on either end.

Wes
Wesslvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:56 AM   #6

Wes-

The "spare" orange and black wires are unique to Newmar- their solution to Ford's choice to omit a charge line on the F-53.

On our coach, the charge lines runs through the Front Distribution Panel, located in the first outside compartment on the driver's side. If Monaco/HR and Fleetwood gas coaches were made similarly (I believe they were under the same brand umbrella, maybe even on the same assembly line), then I'm hoping the OP finds his charge line there.

Now the brake controller pre-wiring: That's by Ford, and the same on all F-53s since at least 2000 or so.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:15 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
After reading these posts I thought I'd better go check to see if I have power at the 7-pin connector (I have the 2016 Bounder 35K) since I'll be hooking up a toad charge line as well (my CR-V sometimes loses power and sometimes doesn't while towing).

It turns out that MY rig does have power.

Just throwing an extra bit of data out there...
lynch763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #8

Thanks to all the suggestions, I rechecked and found I do have 12v to rear -WHEN RV ENGINE IS RUNNING ONLY - and it is not to the spade contact at 1 o-clock position but to the large center post. By rewiring plug so center post at rv end feeds 1 o-clock at toad end, Problem solved .. Thanks all.
Now toad battery stays charged
Golfergo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, toad