Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2021, 01:21 AM   #1

12v chassis battery has a lone negative cable. What do?

If you encountered a chassis battery that has an unconnected battery cable coming from the 12 V chassis battery's negative terminal, where would you put this lone cable to... in this diagram above? Or will you remove that lone cable?

Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12v 6v 6v lone cable wht bkgd.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	329.1 KB
ID:	333272  
DannyBarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2021, 06:26 AM   #2

Negetive cables go to chassis and engine block. Engine is on rubber mounts.

If you have a negetive cable to one of them, that lose cable goes to the other spot.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:51 AM   #3

That lone cable seems to be just long enough only to reach the negative of the nearby 6v battery. Will this be okay to connect to that 6V negative?

I do not see any grounding bolt on the chassis to fasten this cable to... nor do i see a place on the engine block it can reach far enough to.

The other cable that is fastened to the 12v negative, i assume, seems to be part of the converter/recharger or alternator circuit.

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Negetive cables go to chassis and engine block. Engine is on rubber mounts.

If you have a negetive cable to one of them, that lose cable goes to the other spot.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:59 AM   #4

In my coach, there is a connection between the 6v house bank negative and the 12v chassis negative. Both banks share the negative cable to the frame which is connected to the chassis battery negative. Then, the negative from the house bank is connected to the same frame cable at the chassis batteries.

In your diagram, a similar connection would have that loose cable connecting to the negative of the 12v battery that is closest to the "chassis post."
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:15 AM   #5

Hello.

Are your house batteries connected in parallel or series? If series, then we are the same apparently.

That would mean maybe I need to swap two cables. The lone 12v negative cable is too short to reach the 6v negative bank nearest the frame post. However I will attempt to see if the cable that connects between the two 6v batteries (pos to neg) is long enough to use and if it is.. i will swap cables and see what happens.

Thank you
Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
In my coach, there is a connection between the 6v house bank negative and the 12v chassis negative. Both banks share the negative cable to the frame which is connected to the chassis battery negative. Then, the negative from the house bank is connected to the same frame cable at the chassis batteries.

In your diagram, a similar connection would have that loose cable connecting to the negative of the 12v battery that is closest to the "chassis post."
Old 06-23-2021, 11:32 AM   #6

Since owners often reconfigure their battery compartments, thing may not work the same even for same make and model.

As posted above, the negative chassis battery post needs to be connected to both the engine block and the vehicle frame.

It is possible a grounding strap was placed somewhere else to replace the loose wire that no longer reaches the house battery negative post. The grounding strap may be near the engine or some place else.

Without ground to engine block, starter would not operate. Without ground to frame, some other vehicle 12 volt devices would not work. Devices mounted on engine block would work. Devices mounted on the frame like turn and brake signals might not.

So the loose wire is likely both harmless, and superfluous.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:48 PM   #7

Because the starter can start the engine seemingly fine right now. , i suppose there's a cable to the engine block already? And that i should focus on getting the lone cable be in contact with the chassis directly or by way of the negative bank of the 6v battery nearest the chassis post?

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Since owners often reconfigure their battery compartments, thing may not work the same even for same make and model.

As posted above, the negative chassis battery post needs to be connected to both the engine block and the vehicle frame.

It is possible a grounding strap was placed somewhere else to replace the loose wire that no longer reaches the house battery negative post. The grounding strap may be near the engine or some place else.

Without ground to engine block, starter would not operate. Without ground to frame, some other vehicle 12 volt devices would not work. Devices mounted on engine block would work. Devices mounted on the frame like turn and brake signals might not.

So the loose wire is likely both harmless, and superfluous.
Old 06-23-2021, 03:00 PM   #8

Danny,
In your left picture the (-) cable goes to a CLEAN area on the frame.
ALSO, it is a good idea to run a ground strap from a bell housing bolt to the frame.
Good grounding will solve a whole bunch of electrical issues.
Ask me how i know........

Mike in Colorado
Old 06-23-2021, 04:20 PM   #9

Mike of Colorado, i don't want to ask and trigger you to remind yourself about the hours spent on diagnosing and fixing. Money paid and interrupted vacations and travels. I can only begin to imagine. I imagine it could be a long write.

Ok clean chassis area and bell housing bolt with strap. Off i go to read about this on the internet.

Thanks. Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Danny,
In your left picture the (-) cable goes to a CLEAN area on the frame.
ALSO, it is a good idea to run a ground strap from a bell housing bolt to the frame.
Good grounding will solve a whole bunch of electrical issues.
Ask me how i know........

Mike in Colorado
Old 06-23-2021, 05:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBarrett View Post
Hello.

Are your house batteries connected in parallel or series? If series, then we are the same apparently.

That would mean maybe I need to swap two cables. The lone 12v negative cable is too short to reach the 6v negative bank nearest the frame post. However I will attempt to see if the cable that connects between the two 6v batteries (pos to neg) is long enough to use and if it is.. i will swap cables and see what happens.

Thank you
Danny
Yes, my house batteries are in series, just like your diagram, only there are more of them as well as more chassis 12 v.

The other posters have made some very good points. Everything appears to be working so there is a ground to both the frame and engine somewhere. My thoughts, and I don't know if this is correct, is that if both battery banks are not connected at the negative terminal, then it makes charging the batteries less efficient. JUST A GUESS, maybe an electrical expert can confirm or deny if this is the case.

I only have experience on my coach and as stated, both banks are connected at the negative terminal of the chassis batteries and then on to the grounding lug of the frame. That lug may have another connection on the other side of the bulkhead that goes to the engine block, I haven't looked.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:15 PM   #11

First off, I didn't see what type of an RV you have, except that it's a Fleetwood. Did I miss it?

I'm thinking the ground goes to a second 12 volt chassis battery. The positive lead was removed to prevent shorting to ground.

Are you sure you're not missing two house batteries, also?
Old 06-30-2021, 08:42 PM   #12

i think i ruined the battery control center

Hello, yes it is a 1997 Fleetwood Southwind 32v.

Readers, please ignore my graphic diagram of the battery wiring in the first part. It is not correct. I will upload the correct diagram in a month. I am driving an RV without any interior 12v luxury. And I cannot start my generator because no juice is flowing to it.

I might have fried the Battery Control Center (BCC).

Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalone55 View Post
First off, I didn't see what type of an RV you have, except that it's a Fleetwood. Did I miss it?

I'm thinking the ground goes to a second 12 volt chassis battery. The positive lead was removed to prevent shorting to ground.

Are you sure you're not missing two house batteries, also?
Old 06-30-2021, 09:56 PM   #13

In a chassis + coach electrical system all 12v negative terminals go to chassis ground (the frame). Since the alternator, the genset, and the converter each can charge both the chassis and the coach batteries, it would be best for the "charging element" to see a common ground reference. The easiest way to do this is to couple the chassis and coach negative terminals and then take the cable to the chassis. Sometimes they have individual cables for each battery which can result in charging issues.

To test for this common reference, take your volt meter and check for any voltage measured between the negative terminals. If its 1 volt or more, use that cable to be make a connection between the negative battery terminals.
nairbg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volts, 12v, 1997, 32v, 6 volts, battery, battery cables, chassis battery, chassis post, diagram, fleetwood, ground, house batteries, house battery, southwind, southwind 32v, wiring