Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #1

12V Electrical Problem

Hello:

I have the MAXXFAN-WHITE 5100K. It stop working a couple months ago and decided to look in to the problem today. The MoHo 12V wire is now dead. Seems that I have a break in the wire and/or something else is causing an open circuit in the wire. Everything that runs on 12V seems to work in the MoHo. I have attached the lame electrical drawing from Fleetwood and its the power vent (PV) circle in red. The second attachment show there are also addition wires at the location white and red wire, need to check if that's 12V may have to use them if I can't find the problem.

Anybody tackle a similar problem? What can it be?

Thanks in advance!!
Attached Images

1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2018, 07:34 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The photo is too small and won't open in a larger format. You have electrically tested the fuse that protects the fan circuit? The fan most likely also as a fuse on the housing, have you checked it and tested for 12v at the fan? Ground connections can also be the cause, a test light or multimeter can help track down the issue.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:04 PM   #3

Hopefully this attachment will open to larger format. Yes all fuse are good. No power from the RV wires, was working before. All other 12V works in RV.

There another set of 12V wires (red and white) and its has a 20 Amp fuse for appliances. Would it be safe to tie into to that? Would I have to worry about overloading that circuit? Thanks

Edit: Sorry this attachment didn't work either.
Attached Images

1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:16 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
It would have a lot to do with what 12v appliances you have. Have you done the tests I suggested? Before just doing a workaround, I'd check the 12v wire and the ground connection, and fuse at the fan.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-05-2018, 08:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
It would have a lot to do with what 12v appliances you have. Have you done the tests I suggested? Before just doing a workaround, I'd check the 12v wire and the ground connection, and fuse at the fan.
Yes. The ground wire checks OK, but no 12V power. Cannot trace the 12V wire as it disapears in the ceiling and not directly to the fuse (junctions). I don't see a fuse in the fan, see pix. I too, don't like work arounds and want to find out why the wire coming to the fan had power before and now no power.

I know the fan works cause I hooked up the other set of 12V wires and the fan runs. Thanks
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2018, 08:59 PM   #6
YC1

Likely you popped a fuse.

https://www.amazon.com/Multi-functio...l+tracer+probe

A signal tracer can help. Put the tone on the wire and use the sniffer to chase it down.
I would go right to all known fuse panels first. They can label things poorly and make it hard to find.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:13 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mine has a fuse in the corner. Click image for larger version

Name:	37D1DE16-8E4E-4E41-A8DE-FFAA6E923E8E.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	214034. You can see the small black round fuse case. Not sure if it is the same as yours or not.

Good luck, Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Likely you popped a fuse.

https://www.amazon.com/Multi-functio...l+tracer+probe

A signal tracer can help. Put the tone on the wire and use the sniffer to chase it down.
I would go right to all known fuse panels first. They can label things poorly and make it hard to find.
Again, ALL 12V fuses are good, that I can find. I was thinking about the tracer earlier and i think i'm going to get it. I'm just curious about that wire. Thanks
Old 08-05-2018, 09:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Bounder1st View Post
Mine has a fuse in the corner. Attachment 214034. You can see the small black round fuse case. Not sure if it is the same as yours or not.

Good luck, Terry
Hmm, went back out to see if mind had that fuse and it doesn't. But anyway, I know the fan works. Thanks
Old 08-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
My Pace Arrow has a wall switch for the fan. Does yours? If so, is there power at the switch? Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieelk View Post
My Pace Arrow has a wall switch for the fan. Does yours? If so, is there power at the switch? Eddie Elk.
I thought of that too. I turned on every wall switch and nothing. I'm going to get that tracer that YC1 linked me. Thanks
Old 08-06-2018, 06:33 PM   #12
YC1

There may be a lid switch. A pin switch that senses the cover is open so it will turn on. They can get flaky.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:55 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
There may be a lid switch. A pin switch that senses the cover is open so it will turn on. They can get flaky.
In addition, many fans have a thermostat that when turned all the way in one direction can also cause the fan to not come on.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-06-2018, 08:16 PM   #14

I'm sorry if I did not make myself clear. The fan works. I hooked another 12V source and the fan runs. It's the original 12V line coming in to the fan that loss power. Everything on that circuit works except the fan, fuses are good. Open circuit/wire break something. I'm looking inside the hole where the distribution panel located but don't see any loose wires. Need to keep digging in. Thanks you all for your help!!

Tags
electric, electrical