Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2016, 04:11 PM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
I fully understand the reasons why a dealer or licensed, insured shop might not want to do the modification you want. I used the term 'shade tree mechanic' in no way to be sarcastic, just that a handy neighbor or friend could install a switch and not have the concerns you expressed, "Their refusal was obviously based on warranty and legal considerations."

Adding a switch should in no way void a warranty or cause legal issues if you have requested to have it installed. Installing electronic modifications like a tuner chip or changing the engine or transmission programming could void a warranty, but not installing a switch of convenience to do the exact same thing the manufacturer recommends for towing, disconnect the one fuse.

More likely the reason the dealer didn't want to do the modification is it's not listed in his rates and procedures book so they don't know what to charge. Also, the sad state of auto 'technicians' today is such that they perhaps can only do procedures they've been trained to do and can't do custom work.

If you can't do the work yourself, then finding a local tinkerer or mechanic that can do the install. You of course would make it clear to be liable IF the modification caused a fire or disabled the car's safety features, which are very unlikely if a properly rated switch was installed. That should eliminate all risk to the installer.

The only possible issue might be that if the switch shut off while driving, the engine might shut off, disabling the electric power assisted brakes, steering (if so equipped) or air bags might not deploy. I'm sure most every switch installed wouldn't do such a thing, but it's a possible risk, however slight. The faulty ignition switches installed in GM vehicles caused such issues as described above, but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to do such a modification if it were my vehicle. Here's an expensive version of what you desire:

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wir...ddy/TD706.html

I didn't mean to be sarcastic or rude, sorry if you interpreted it that way.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2016, 08:46 AM   #16

Thanks Bob, I appreciate you clarifying your post for me.
NCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Thumbs up

I made my own fuse switch for our 2007 Acadia. Pretty simple (see photo). Six years later had a BCM power bus failure and the GM techs jumped on my fuse switch as the cause. However, once the senior tech with electronic training looked it all over, he declared my switch mod to be blameless and even re-installed it himself after replacing the BCM bus ($1400!!!).

The yellow circle shows where I insert two wires with standard spade terminals into the 50A fuse socket. The blue is an inline 50A fuse and the green is a 50A rated toggle switch. I mounted the switch under the hood, but you could route the wire to the dash area is you wish. However, on this car it's a bit of a struggle to get anything through the firewall and I didn't think it worth the effort.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Acadia Fuse switch (Small-annotated).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	129734  
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:06 AM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Gary RVRoamer, That's what I was talking about!! Not a complicated or difficult addition.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power