Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
14 Discovery Generator clicking on starting

I have a brand new 2014 Discovery 40G. I know that I have enough fuel, oil, coolant and the breaker is not tripped. My batt voltage on the house batts is 12.2. When I try to start it is just clicks and does not turn over.

After you drive it for an hour the batts get up to 13.2 and it will start. Does anyone know from experience if this is correct behavior? It seems that 12 volts should be enough to start it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
That should be enough to start your generator. Even if it wasn't, you would still hear the engine try to crank. Are you holding the start button long enough? Sometimes from a cold start, it can take what seems like forever, more than 30seconds.

2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
Old 05-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #3

Ditto for me on my 2013 Disco 40E. Was not holding switch down long enough for cold start on my last trip. It took forever, at least 30 sec or more, for starter to turn the ten over. I would presume, being diesel, it's similar to other engines with glow plugs?
BigOilJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is from the Onan troubleshooting guide:

Q. When the generator start switch is pressed, the starter makes a clicking sound but the engine does not crank. What is the problem?
A. Most likely, the coach battery is almost completely discharged and needs to be charged or replaced. There could also be a poor connection or a defective battery cable or starter solenoid. If these causes can be eliminated, then the starter itself may need service.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
That would be for a gas Onan, but not a Diesel. The clicking noise is normal as it is heating the coil, and my guess, again, is you're not holding the start long enough on a cold start.

2010 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
Old 05-07-2014, 08:39 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
12.2 volt is only at about 60% charged. Do you have a battery boost if so engage it and see if that makes a difference. I do agree that you have to give the starter about 30 sec. to start. GHow long does it take for your batteries to go down to 12.2 from fully charged?
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:00 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
x2 what Big Oil says, keep the button pressed until it starts. Sometimes seems forever. Be aware as well these genies have fuel pump issues from the factory, so if you get error codes, bets it is the fuel pump.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Could also be a loose battery connection at the generator.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:42 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
14 Discovery Generator clicking on starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
12.2 volt is only at about 60% charged. Do you have a battery boost if so engage it and see if that makes a difference. I do agree that you have to give the starter about 30 sec. to start. GHow long does it take for your batteries to go down to 12.2 from fully charged?
Thank you for your replies. I do have a battery boost, but I thought this only boosted from the house batts to the chassis batts? Perhaps someone knows if that is correct on the Discovery or not.

The coach was driven for eight hours (fully charged) and stored for three days with everything off. I had the specific gravity checked on all of the batts and they were all OK.

I took it to Cummins service yesterday but of course when I arrived it started right away since the batts were at 13+.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
You have a battery problem not a generator problem.12.2 is 60% discharged. You only have a 40% charge. Also that is probably with no load. If you put a slight load, say a small light bulb, you would probably see it go down further. When I worked in the battery shop at Delta Air Lines, we always used a 12 volt light bulb to load the battery and get a true voltage reading.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Just a thought ... I had thought I had turned everything off ... battery wise and my coach's batteries got really low after just a day. Well .... seems I didn't turn the inverter off. The Inverter draws a lot of power even if the batteries are off. Might be the problem ... might not, but it was my problem. Now if I need the refrigerator to stay on when I'm not hooked up to any electric, I will put the autogen on. Seems to solve the problem. Good luck!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:23 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Im betting the clicking the OP is hearing is the starter solenoid trying to engage but not having enough voltage. Those big diesel gens take a lot of juice to crank over when cold. 12.6 is just not enough and like others have said, once a small load is on its actually lower than 12.6. You are correct, the boost takes juice from house bats and puts it to chassis.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:59 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
On my coach with the inverter off, the fridge is off. But if the voltage drops, the auto gen will turn on the gen set. But I wonder how long stuff stays cold if you don't open the door and the frig is off?

Tags
generator