Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2021, 07:42 PM   #1

'16 Bounder bad vinyl - cost to reupholster vs discount cost when selling MH?

I am getting ready to sell my '16 Bounder 35k. My unit has been "blessed" with the defective low quality vinyl upholstery. The issue is where the top color layer of the vinyl (about the thickness of two or three sheets of paper) delaminates from the rest of the vinyl. This is a cosmetic issue and not a structural issue with the vinyl. Not sure if this problem is across the board with all colors of vinyl or just the beige seating surfaces and the silver/gray on the headboard in my unit. My wife saw one Bounder 35k online last year that had vinyl that looked far worse than ours looks today (I did not see the images).

The dealer that we bought the MH from had the cockpit seats reupholstered prior to our purchase - we saw images online of the cockpit seats (prior to the seat reupholster). The seats were reupholstered by the time we went tor to inspect the MH. Anyone have any ballpark figures on having the dinette and an "L" shaped couch reupholstered? I realize this could vary quite a bit regionally.

I am trying to get an idea as to how much of a discount for bad vinyl we will need to account for in the asking price if we do not do anything. I have looked at other '15, '16 and '17 yr model Bounders and have not seen images with the delaminating color layer on any Bounders listed for sale (maybe I am not looking at a large enough sample). Anyone have any experience with this either buying or selling?
aribert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2021, 08:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you considered slip-covers?

Ken
Old 09-22-2021, 08:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aribert View Post
I am getting ready to sell my '16 Bounder 35k. My unit has been "blessed" with the defective low quality vinyl upholstery. The issue is where the top color layer of the vinyl (about the thickness of two or three sheets of paper) delaminates from the rest of the vinyl. This is a cosmetic issue and not a structural issue with the vinyl. Not sure if this problem is across the board with all colors of vinyl or just the beige seating surfaces and the silver/gray on the headboard in my unit. My wife saw one Bounder 35k online last year that had vinyl that looked far worse than ours looks today (I did not see the images).

The dealer that we bought the MH from had the cockpit seats reupholstered prior to our purchase - we saw images online of the cockpit seats (prior to the seat reupholster). The seats were reupholstered by the time we went tor to inspect the MH. Anyone have any ballpark figures on having the dinette and an "L" shaped couch reupholstered? I realize this could vary quite a bit regionally.

I am trying to get an idea as to how much of a discount for bad vinyl we will need to account for in the asking price if we do not do anything. I have looked at other '15, '16 and '17 yr model Bounders and have not seen images with the delaminating color layer on any Bounders listed for sale (maybe I am not looking at a large enough sample). Anyone have any experience with this either buying or selling?
The problem youíre describing isnít isolated to Bounders. Any units of all makes during that era could have the problem with pealing couches, etc.

To answer your question, we just sold a high end 5th wheel that had this problem and we were up front in every respect. We disclosed it in our description and immediately offered a $2000 reduction for the problem along with further negotiability if necessary.

The unit sold and both the buyer and I was very happy.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:07 AM   #4

Winnebago sent new covers for our ‘17 Vista due to the same issue. They didn’t pay for install which ran us $800. If I were buying an RV with the issue, I’d plan on a $2k repair.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:20 PM   #5

Thank you for your replies.

I had not considered ready made replacement covers . After reading BirchyBoy's posting, I contacted the REVgroup (owner of the Fleetwood brand) but the response was no covers available for something as old as my MH (2016). I am presuming that slip covers would have to be custom made - seems like the same amount of effort/labor cost as to reupholster.

I think we will presume a nominal $2K deduction in value and let a future owner take on this endeavor - the future owner can then choose the color/fabric that suits them.
aribert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:26 PM   #6
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
See https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/fle...rs-515001.html

I think I would be contacting Lisa. Only have read good things about her.
Old 10-05-2021, 03:23 PM   #7

Your lucky you didn’t get stress cracks in the bedroom slide like I did on my Bounder 35k and since then I’ve seen 2 other 35ks with the same stress cracks. I now own a Tiffin
kg6vvo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell, vinyl, bounder