Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2021, 04:48 PM   #1

'16 Bounder Chassis A/C stopped working

I have a '16 Bounder on the Ford F53 chassis.
The chassis AC stopped working. Fan is blowing just warm air.
AFAIK it is not a Ford AC system. Not sure where to even start troubleshooting myself. I'd like to do the cursory stuff before I even think about bringing it to a shop. And the the question is where to bring it for service? Not Ford I presume. I really dislike RV dealers. Was thinking a regular automotive AC repair place?
Any info on what system is in it and troubleshooting steps would also be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2021, 06:56 AM   #2

Automotive AC is automotive AC. Problem is someone who has a shop with a door big enough to get the nose of the coach inside, or someone who is willing to work on it out in the sun.

Any good HVAC person an work on it - the Ford side of it might have specific peculiarities, and the coach side of it will have its set of peculiarities. But in the end they all have a compressor to compress the refrigerant gas, a condenser to reject the heat out of the refrigerant gas, an expansion valve to throttle the condensed refrigerant, and an evaporator that transfers the heat from the air into the refrigerant.
MrMark52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:19 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the same problem this spring. Called the 2 local Ford dealers, neither would do it due to size. (Actually was a bit of a relief as one of the Ford dealers has a parking lot that’s annoying to navigate in a car!)

I ended up taking to a local Freightliner facility. When I called ahead the Service Manager was good in saying if it was mechanical, should be an easy fix. If electrical, probably best to not have his techs chasing it due to their lack of Ford knowledge, basically said “they would eventually fix it, but might be trial and error and not the most cost effective”.

Prior to my appointment I ended up jumping the low pressure switch which confirmed either the switch was bad or it was low on refrigerant. At the time I noticed the switch assembly turned easily in my hand, which isn’t normal and hopefully a cause of the leak.

Tech vacuumed out the system, tested it to ensure it held pressure, and then recharged with refrigerant and dye so that if leak wasn’t the loose low pressure switch, it could be traced. So far so good, bill was about $200 for labor and refrigerant.

If it is a bad low pressure switch, they are pretty cheap and can be ordered by any Ford dealer. (I bought one just in case as the Freightliner dealer wouldn’t have stocked and was fine with me buying and them installing if needed). Switch was about $25, and mine needed a supplemental wiring pigtail which was another $30. Ford took the unopened ones back when I didn’t need.

Tags
bounder, chassis