Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #1

1983 Pace Arrow questions!!!!!

Looking at buying another bigger motorhome. They say it is a 30 foot but it looks like it may be smaller??What sizes did they come in?
Its got the 454 engine.82000 km's. It's on the Chev chassis I would think.

My questions are...will this thing pull a car trailer with a 4 door jeep rubicon and a quad and dirtbike??What rear end gears do they run?

also what is the stock tire size of this motor home.

are the transmissions tough?

How hard are engines to work on?

Are the engines beefed up or should I install HV oilpump and double roller

timing chain and gears?

Could I install a 5.9 12 valve cummins with auto transmission? (I have one)

I live in the rocky mountains of Alberta Canada so this thing will see lots of hills.
ROLLNSMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #2

I had an '86 Pace Arrow which was underpowered with the 454. But it was a 37 footer. I would never have taken it into the Rockies. Take a tape measure and a friend and measure it to be sure...bumper to bumper. I can't answer your technical questions, except to say the engine will come out through the driver's door with the driver's seat removed. Mine was tough on plug wires.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What does the "82000 KM's" equate to in mileage?
4.56 is the probable gearing BUT the frame won't take a heap of hauling, I would say with some frame mods 4,000 pounds max.
Th400 is one "Tuff" trannie, Just keep it cool.
Engines is very simple and easy to work on, 300 H.P. is easy to obtain with a few simple mods.
Leave the engine oiling system alone, They are the best.
Depending on the miles on it will determine what weight oils to use.
The plastic coating on the cam gear is what wears away, And for me the gear becomes suspect at around 120,000 miles....

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #4

Ok thanks for the info! Engine out drivers door...lol sounds scarey...
Old 03-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimElliott View Post
What does the "82000 KM's" equate to in mileage?
4.56 is the probable gearing BUT the frame won't take a heap of hauling, I would say with some frame mods 4,000 pounds max.
Th400 is one "Tuff" trannie, Just keep it cool.
Engines is very simple and easy to work on, 300 H.P. is easy to obtain with a few simple mods.
Leave the engine oiling system alone, They are the best.
Depending on the miles on it will determine what weight oils to use.
The plastic coating on the cam gear is what wears away, And for me the gear becomes suspect at around 120,000 miles....

Jim
Well it has 86000km's or (54,000 miles) and I bought it yesterday. I think it is the 30 footer and I drove a 5 hr trip at 115 km/r or (70 miles an hour) and averaged 9 miles to the gallon. If you figure it out to a tee I got 8.22 mpg but I idled it for about 1.5 hrs and was testing it on hills so I know it was sucking back more gas.The unit was empty with nothing in it other than a laptop,a dog and me...lol

I was VERY surprised of the power it had. We are also between 3000-5500 feet here so that should make it a little harder on fuel and have less power.

I think I'm going to do some mods to it for a little more power and fuel economy.

The first thing I was thinking was an electric fan. Might make it a little more quieter as well.

I've heard about "Jims distributor mod" but couldn't find any info on it in the searches?????

Please chime in and let me know what difference headers make for power and economy and also have people tride MSD ignitions or other things?

I was thinking about a diesel swap but don't really think it is necessary now...I guess we'll see how it pulls my Jeep and car trailer/quad...

Does anyone know the GCWR for this rig? I want to know what I can legally tow...I plan on upgrading the front brake discs and possibly swaping to rear discs...I am an auto/diesel mechanic by trade and I have built my own stock cars etc in the past so fellow mechanics out there feel free to talk "mechanic language" if you feel the need lol. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLNSMOKE View Post
Well it has 86000km's or (54,000 miles) and I bought it yesterday. I think it is the 30 footer and I drove a 5 hr trip at 115 km/r or (70 miles an hour) and averaged 9 miles to the gallon. If you figure it out to a tee I got 8.22 mpg but I idled it for about 1.5 hrs and was testing it on hills so I know it was sucking back more gas.The unit was empty with nothing in it other than a laptop,a dog and me...lol

I was VERY surprised of the power it had. We are also between 3000-5500 feet here so that should make it a little harder on fuel and have less power.

I think I'm going to do some mods to it for a little more power and fuel economy.

The first thing I was thinking was an electric fan. Might make it a little more quieter as well.

I've heard about "Jims distributor mod" but couldn't find any info on it in the searches?????

Please chime in and let me know what difference headers make for power and economy and also have people tride MSD ignitions or other things?
With your great fuel mileage you now have with a low mileage engine yours is pretty well good to go as is.
Electric fan or fans work OK but I prefer a clean entry way to the radiator (remove & move everything that blocks the air flow), Anyhow "Summitracing" has fans that are temp controled and work well.
"Thorley headers" along with a (X-pipe) and some decent magnaflow or dynomax mufflers will dig out some good torque but check your plugs (before & after) just to see how much it leans out the engine.
Mine was a dab rich on all ends of the RPM range and the above leaned it out e'nuf...
IF you can start a new thread in the "Vintage section" I'll be happy to work with you on the engine mods to up the overall torque & power, NO hills for mine here in southern cal need a down shift including the Cajon pass.
MSD ignitions are much hype and a nice HEI well calibrated will do just as well and IF something dies inside the ignition just drive up to your local NAPA or Carquest and get a replacement part OR wait a few days on the MSD part.
Tools needed are a good 2 1/8 (INDEXED) vacuum gauge that can be dash mounted and a crusty attitude...

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #7

So I looked at the hitch and don't see a recomended towing capacity. I want to tow my 4 door Jeep Rubicon on a car trailer,with a dirtbike and quad as well. Probably a 20 foot car trailer.

What is the GCWR of this vehicle? (1983 PAce Arrow 454 4 barrel) I looked on the closet door but it just has the gvwr of the unit itself. 11800 pounds I believe. The unit empty whieghs 8300 pounds.

And is it illegal to tow more than the recomended rating?? I can get the frame beefed up if that is an issue,and I plan on adding more power to the engine and upgrase the brakes.

Some said on here there 1996 was rated to tow 3500 lbs...?? That is what my little jeep with a 3.8 v6 is rated at??? HELP!!!!! lol
Old 03-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
83 Fleetwood products were rated 350 lbs on the tongue max (some were even 250) and 3500 lbs tow
Old 03-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topflite51 View Post
83 Fleetwood products were rated 350 lbs on the tongue max (some were even 250) and 3500 lbs tow
So if my jeep whieghs 4800 plus the weight of the trailer,gas/tools etc,are you saying I can't legally tow that? I just find it odd that my jeep is rated for 3500 as well??

I looked under it tonight and it looks pretty beefy and looks like someone even beefed it up some more.
It stops as good if not better than my old 97 F-150 and I hauled a stock car,water,tools etc etc on a car trailer and that was towing through the rockie mountains...I'm sure with the weight of this thing and the power it should be able to tow my jeep etc but just wondering if I will be breaking the law...
Old 03-24-2011, 11:49 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
......My previous RV was almost identical to yours, only it was a 1982. Very good m/home, disc brakes front & rear, Air-lift bags on four corners, and like yours an awfully good running 454. My advise, leave well enough alone since you got good results on your 5 hour maiden trip.
As for the factory clutch fan, yes it's noisy when engaged but it is cooling the engine as designed. It will kick in somewhere around 200 degree's, which is normal. You bought a really good, well built m/home, good luck & travel safe.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not saying anything legally, just stating what they were designed for. I have known people to "beef them up" and tow considerably more. The ? will always be is it advisable? That is not for me to say. I have also seen the hitch assembly pulled off of the MH on one such "beefed up" unit. If you do it, don't just do the hitch, you will want to improve the suspension also.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topflite51 View Post
Not saying anything legally, just stating what they were designed for. I have known people to "beef them up" and tow considerably more. The ? will always be is it advisable? That is not for me to say. I have also seen the hitch assembly pulled off of the MH on one such "beefed up" unit. If you do it, don't just do the hitch, you will want to improve the suspension also.

Yes suspension upgrdes for sure. This hitch on it now is a class II and I think I should swap in a class III. I have a buddy who is a profesional welder and welds on mining equipment/logging trucks etc so he would now how to "beef" it up properly.

I'm pretty sure the 454 will pull the weight. It's not like i'm going to travel across Canada and the USA with the trailer in tow...I just want to tow it with in 3 hrs driving didstance from where I am. I do however want it safe and legal. The car trailer will have brakes on both axles. I just with I could get an exact number as to the towing capacity of this unit. And how"illegal" is it to go over the whieght?? And are the specs carved in stone or "recomended"..?
Old 03-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #13

Spartan Chassis
I bet if you called Fleetwood Customer Service at 800-322-8216 they could answer your weight questions and probably even tell you where you could download a manual for. I had an '83 that was 29' long with the 454 and it never lacked for power. Typical 454 though, 8 mpg uphill, downhill, 50 mph, 70 mph, etc! Mine had a bad habit of throwing the belt that drove the alternator and the typical exhaust manifold leak.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
I bet if you called Fleetwood Customer Service at 800-322-8216 they could answer your weight questions and probably even tell you where you could download a manual for. I had an '83 that was 29' long with the 454 and it never lacked for power. Typical 454 though, 8 mpg uphill, downhill, 50 mph, 70 mph, etc! Mine had a bad habit of throwing the belt that drove the alternator and the typical exhaust manifold leak.
Thanks I'll try that! Ya my alt belt is squeeling so I better tighten it...looks fun......lol
And ya 8-9 MPG is what I'm getting too...