Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2016, 11:56 AM   #1

1984 Pace Arrow 454 Belt Issues

I am looking for help with the belts on my 1984 Fleetwood Pace Arrow for the GM 454, it is currently throwing belts.

History: this unit has been sitting in storage for the past thirty years seeing its last daylight 5 years ago. We have replaced all hoses, belt, carb, wires, cleaned tank and drove it from Texas to Florida and back to it's new home in Arkansas but are throwing belts off 300 to 700 miles.

Need some real clarity on who has had this issue and the cure also considering a serpantine swap over as a last resort so it=f you have done a conversion please let me know.

Thanks Joe
jbferg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Throwing a belt is usually an out of alignment issue with the pulleys, a bent pulley or shaft, or a frozen idler pulley. You'll need a straight edge to make sure the pulleys are all aligned. With the belt off, make sure each pulley turns freely and true on it's shaft. A belt being thrown is a warning sign something isn't right. Just replacing belts and not finding out the real cause is an exercise in futility.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Chevy designed the engine with two belts to the power steering. (the best I remember it was the power steering.) The belts would whip around and knock each other off. They removed one belt and the problem stopped.This was a common problem back then. They came from the factory with only one belt.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Chevy designed the engine with two belts to the power steering. (the best I remember it was the power steering.) The belts would whip around and knock each other off. They removed one belt and the problem stopped.This was a common problem back then. They came from the factory with only one belt.
Thanks you Sir!
Old 03-31-2016, 07:52 AM   #5

Get under the MH and look carefully at the crankshaft pulley (harmonic balancer) Look for any sign the balancer may have moved forward or backward causing the belts to become out of alignment. The belts should look like they are perfectly straight from pulley to pulley on all accessories such as A/C compressor, alternator, water pump, power steering and any idler pulleys (if any). A straight edge may be helpful to verify this if you can get one in there. A more thorough check would be to remove all belts, grab the outer hub and try to wiggle or turn it on the inner hub. It should feel tight with no noticeable play.
The harmonic balancer hub is solid where it slides onto the crankshaft. The outer hub which the belt pulleys bolt to is held to the inner hub by molded rubber which causes the dampening effect. This rubber can deteriorate over time, crack and separate from either the inner or outer hub, or both, allowing the pulleys to move forward and back or create a wobble effect.
Rust on pulleys can be a problem also but from what you have said the rust should have been worn off by now with the running the engine has on it since taking of out of storage.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:38 AM   #6

Replaced the alternator on my chevrolet truck and it then started throwing this belt. Examined the new pulley on the remfd. alternator and noticed that the root of the v groove was wide and the depth shallow. The belt was riding on the root or bottom of the groove rather than the tapered sides. I have also seen pulleys severely worn from chronic belt slippage, where the tapered flanks of the groove were convex radii. Not saying this is your problem, just adding a couple other reasons for throwing belts.
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:15 AM   #7

Thank you all! I have been doing a ton of research as I really have my heart set on bringing this vintage coach back to life. Looks as though I may go with a serpentine belt conversion.

If anyone has tackled this conversion I would like to here from you.

Thanks again everyone
Old 04-01-2016, 11:15 AM   #8

Nice year of motor home I have an 85 pacearrow. Might also check to make sure the belts are not to wide of a belt you can get belts that are different thicknesses if they are too wide they will walk off of the pulleys.
Juni88126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #9

Did you read my post #5? The V belt system has been used for ages without a problem throwing belts if everything is aligned and tensioned correctly. Why spend money reinventing the wheel when the one you have is already round?
Good Luck,
Lynn
Old 04-02-2016, 05:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
Did you read my post #5? The V belt system has been used for ages without a problem throwing belts if everything is aligned and tensioned correctly. Why spend money reinventing the wheel when the one you have is already round?
Good Luck,
Lynn
I agree with you. Put 200k on my rv 454 with never a v-belt issue. Replaced one belt one time and that was when the alternator froze solid. Carried replacements with me that are still unused.
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:24 AM   #11

Thank you all!
Old 05-08-2016, 07:05 AM   #12

Found the issue. Broken A/C Compressor bracket made of cast aluminum with four bolt ears two broken. Been searching since post and finally located a 1984 Pace Arrow that is being parted with good A/C Bracket and Lower Fan Shroud Yeah! Now to conquer the right side engine heat issue.

Tags