Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2020, 01:36 PM   #1

1989 Flair 24' - Location of Battery Isolator Controller

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post.

Can anyone share with me where the location Battery Isolator Controller? The previous owner(s) had cut a hole in the floor of the coach and mounted the Intellitec Battery Isolator Controller on the wall next to the drivers seat. This not only looked tacky but it left a horrible hole in the floor which they covered with a even uglier piece of wood!

I need to understand where this Battery Isolator Controller goes so that I can put it back into its proper location.

Thank you for your time.

Dan
Dsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2020, 01:49 PM   #2

i replied to your p.m.
we can get you tuned up.

Johnny
JohnnyRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 01:52 PM   #3

My guess is that there was no Intellitec isolator controller, back in 1989.

It probably had a diode type isolator, which is wired to the alternator output. It may have had a simple key operated solenoid to combine the batteries.

The isolator controller can be mounted in any reasonably clean and dry area, usually near the solenoid it controls.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:07 AM   #4

heres my setup...

JohnnyRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:35 AM   #5

Put the controller down next to the solenoid. It looks like the original one is in the top right of the picture.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:38 AM   #6

Thank you.

I did get the original schematics and it does show the battery isolator...by name in fact, but of course it doesn't show a location.

Thank you for the info. I'm back on the project today.

Dan
Old 12-24-2020, 01:06 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Electrically it goes between the chassis battery and the house battery. Physically it can go anywhere you have space, but ideally the battery connection cables should be as short as is practical.

I'm having difficulty imagining what reasoning led to the driver seat location. They obviously went to extra effort to put it there, so there must have been some compelling reason. It's such an unusual location that the unknown reason would be worrisome to me.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 05:31 AM   #8

I had that thought as well with my only conclusion being the ability to plug and unplug? That being said the unit could not have been working because the connector had come unsoldered so.....

I noticed some were shown much closer to the engine. I re-evaluate the entire charging system here soon but first we are remodeling the interior.

Thank you everyone.

Tags
air, battery, battery isolator, cat