RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2020, 08:09 PM   #1

1993 BOUNDER 460 help!

Hello! Just got a BOUNDER with a ford 460 in it from a family member. It was stolen and recovered but it horrible shape they cut up the ignition and wires going to the alternator, and the battery cable routing is a nightmare! Only has 40k miles so wanting to get it in runable condition.

Question 1. Does anyone know where the harness goes to from the alternator? Harness is cut and other side of harness is no where to be found

Question 2. It has 3 12v batteries assuming it was 1 12v and 2 6v anyone have a wiring diagram for the batteries?

Thanks for any help!
Joshuaveek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2020, 09:02 AM   #2

You have a "3G" alternator, pretty simple setup. And because it's very popular to swap a 3G into an older vehicle not blessed with one, we have nice diagrams like this:

More info there than you need, you basic takeaway is one big cable to the solenoid/battery. A small one that goes to the the solenoid too. (Some people cheat and connect this wire shorter but the alternoator works better if you connect it as shown). THe last wire goes into the back of the dash and should go to your "ALT" warning light. Hopefully there's a bit of cut wire dangling somewhere you can spot. On Fords this wire is often green with a red stripe.

My batteries are the same way. Normal 12 volt for the engine, and a pair of 12 volt batteries in parallel for the rest of the coach. First picture I found of batteries in parallel. Sorry it says 6 volt, but same idea.

In the picture it makes it like one very strong 6 volt battery. In our cases, 12 volts. If you were using 6 volt batteries you would instead hook them in "series". YOu don't want to do that with 12 volts as you would end up with 24 volts. Smoke, fire, and expensive problems would follow.
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:39 AM   #3

Thank you!! Going to check it out today!
Old 09-15-2020, 11:58 AM   #4

So I wired it up as shown but still have no output from alternator. It basically seems if you have alternator grounded properly. And the main power wire as well as yellow/white wire connected to 12v it should be producing voltage right? Wondering if alternator has failed
Old 09-15-2020, 06:57 PM   #5

The Lt.Green/red wire shown on the diagram is the key. It basically tells the alternator when the ignition switch is "on" and tells the alternator to start working. Some people have reported that if that wire isn't connected to a warning light and/or the resistor listed the alternator doesn't work as expected. I haven't tested the theory, but I take that to mean you can't simply hook that wire to 12 volts positive. I've retrofitted a few of these and always used a light and resistor.
GypsyR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:44 PM   #6

Our ‘95 Bounder, also with the 460 has 3 12v batteries, 1 for the starter and 2 ‘house’ batteries.

Tags
bounder