Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2021, 04:55 PM   #1

1993 Bounder transfer switch

It appears that my transfer switch has died. Before it finally kicked the bucket, it was humming really loudly—both when plugged into shore power and when running the generator.

So now I’ll need to replace it, but to save money, I want something that is a direct replacement. I don’t want to have to upgrade a bunch of other components. I partially removed the electrical panel to see if I could see any markings, but I couldn’t find any model numbers on anything. I CAN see that the electrical panel is manufactured by Parallax and it’s the “Model 80”.

Does anyone know what the original transfer switch make/model is? Or, what transfer switch could be used as a direct replacement?
jemarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2021, 07:12 PM   #2

Ok, a transfer switch, is normally located at a junction of shore power and genset power , usually in the shore power cable bay .

From your description, Iím not sure if you have found the transfer switch.

Can you post a picture of what youíve found ?
Old 07-11-2021, 08:14 PM   #3

My 1999 had the ATS screwed to the top of the circuit breaker box.

My 2017 has the ATS on the curb side of the RV, a few feet ahead of the breaker box.

They can be anywhere.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:15 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
A Parallax Model 80 is a 30 amp power distribution center/ breaker panel. Parallax manufactured an ATS that mounted directly to that model of panel, the ATS-301. You will need to determine whether that is what you have. Here is a link to a source for the ATS 301.

https://rvelectrical.com/product/30amp-transfer-switch/
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 01:08 AM   #5

I can confirm that the ATS is mounted directly to the back of the power distribution panel so I’m pretty sure the ATS-301 is what I need. I will check again when I have a chance and report back.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:27 PM   #6

Successfully replaced transfer switch!!

So I can report that the ATS-301 is a direct replacement for the unmarked unit that was attached to the back of my power distribution panel. It was a very straightforward process to replace the old unit using the included instructions. The new one fit perfectly and bolted on using the same mounting holes and screws.

The whole thing took about 45 minutes and now I've got my 110v electrical system operational once again!!

Thanks all for your replies!!!!
Old 07-21-2021, 08:50 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Thanks for getting back with the outcome. Glad it worked out for you. Sounds like a successful project.
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:04 PM   #8

I too am having power transfer issues

We bought our 2014 Fleetwood Boulder in 2020. Since purchasing, we have had infrequent issues with the relay delay.
Recently, we are on the road and having continued issues, when we are initially connecting to shore power, we have to run generator for quitea a while. . Eventually, shore power is activated. The other night, we had to run the generator all night.
I had a phone conversation with a RV tech and he thought that 1 of the relays might be overheating. I don't understand how that could be happening, it's not like we lost power; we never had it to begin with.
We have experienced this issue on our first two park stays. We have 15 more parks scheduled.

Please someone have an answer for us
EddieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieM View Post
We bought our 2014 Fleetwood Boulder in 2020. Since purchasing, we have had infrequent issues with the relay delay.
Recently, we are on the road and having continued issues, when we are initially connecting to shore power, we have to run generator for quitea a while. . Eventually, shore power is activated. The other night, we had to run the generator all night.
I had a phone conversation with a RV tech and he thought that 1 of the relays might be overheating. I don't understand how that could be happening, it's not like we lost power; we never had it to begin with.
We have experienced this issue on our first two park stays. We have 15 more parks scheduled.

Please someone have an answer for us

Eddy,
Are you able to troubleshoot electrical problems? You need a volt meter. First who makes your transfer switch? Some systems have a "power shedding" controller. if the total AC load is too high the controller will start turning off AC circuits...make sure all the circuit breakers are on prior to connecting the shore power or generator power, IF a shedding controller is installed and detects a circuit is off the controller will go into a infinite loop and will not power anything up! I found this out when the inverter/charger circuit breaker was off.

Trouble shooting the Transfer switch-. Do you have the transfer switch manual? If not download the manuals for your AC power system. First locate the transfer switch. Big box with 2 big relays (contactors) inside. It will be connected to the shore power cord, generator and circuit breaker panel. With shore power cord unplugged and generator OFF, do a visual inspection inside the transfer box, look for burnt wires, verify all connections are tight (loose connections /wires loose screws). This will cause over heating. Verify the relays move in and out with little physical effort. Next, apply shore power and being careful, measure the voltage into and out of the shore power relay. Should be 220-240 VAC. Note: one relay is for the shore power and the other one is for the genset. If all good verify power to the circuit breaker box and determine if you have a power control system, Locate that and again check all connections...keep us posted.
John
Old 07-29-2021, 04:07 AM   #10

Eddy, Typical AC diagram with Transfer switch, controller, circuit breaker panel. Use as an EXAMPLE ONLY. John

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Power diagram.png
Views:	7
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	337631

Tags
bounder, switch, transfer switch