RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #1

1993 Fleetwood Bounder Diesel

Hello all! This is my first post and my first RV!!! I am looking to buy a 1993 Bounder that's being stored here at my yard. The model number is 33-1749 JD. Its on an Oshkosh chassis with a 5.9 cummins and 4 spd allison with a banks stinger package and a US Gear exhaust brake. The coach has been sitting for years. I replaced all the batteries and she fired right up. All AC units works and most everything else that we have tested works great. I have a few questions about the coach for you guys...

1.) Are there any specific issue with the motor / trans I should look at more carefully? I know that old mechanical cummins had a dowel pin issue in the dodge pickups. Anything else i should be looking at?

2.) The hydraulic landing gear doesn't work. I get a yellow light on the LF but thats it. I'm guessing its probably low on fluid. Where is the reservoir located and is there anything else I should look at regarding the gear?

3.) the fuel gauge is pinned all the way to the right past the full mark. Is this normal? My thoughts are to try and fill it up and see if it will take more fuel.

4.) The exterior is faded and some of the emblems are faded. Thats not a surprise. Is there any way to restore that gel coat?

5.) When I got the coach running I tired to drive it around the yard but the brake pedal goes all the way to the floor. If i pump it a few times it will come back but then fades again. They arent air brakes so im guessing its a braking system like a passenger truck. Am i correct to assume this?

6.) I am not familiar with the US gear exhaust brake. I have tried to look them up on YouTube and google but haven't really found much. The box is located on the dash and then there are two red buttons located next to the transmission shift lever. How does this system work?

I appreciate any feedback i get. Looking forward to this new adventure!!!

Marty
mjlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If it is the US Gear D-Cellerator brake, you can get the operating manual here:

D-Celerator Diesel Exhaust Brake

US Gear also made a toad (dinghy) auxiliary braking system called the Unified Tow Brake. It too mounted by the driver seat and had some buttons. Unified Tow Brake
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
If it is the US Gear D-Cellerator brake, you can get the operating manual here:

D-Celerator Diesel Exhaust Brake

US Gear also made a toad (dinghy) auxiliary braking system called the Unified Tow Brake. It too mounted by the driver seat and had some buttons. Unified Tow Brake
Gary,

Thanks! I'll be sure to look it up!

Marty
Old 05-17-2019, 05:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlater View Post
Hello all! This is my first post and my first RV!!! I am looking to buy a 1993 Bounder that's being stored here at my yard. The model number is 33-1749 JD. Its on an Oshkosh chassis with a 5.9 cummins and 4 spd allison with a banks stinger package and a US Gear exhaust brake. The coach has been sitting for years. I replaced all the batteries and she fired right up. All AC units works and most everything else that we have tested works great. I have a few questions about the coach for you guys...

1.) Are there any specific issue with the motor / trans I should look at more carefully? I know that old mechanical cummins had a dowel pin issue in the dodge pickups. Anything else i should be looking at?

2.) The hydraulic landing gear doesn't work. I get a yellow light on the LF but thats it. I'm guessing its probably low on fluid. Where is the reservoir located and is there anything else I should look at regarding the gear?

3.) the fuel gauge is pinned all the way to the right past the full mark. Is this normal? My thoughts are to try and fill it up and see if it will take more fuel.

4.) The exterior is faded and some of the emblems are faded. Thats not a surprise. Is there any way to restore that gel coat?

5.) When I got the coach running I tired to drive it around the yard but the brake pedal goes all the way to the floor. If i pump it a few times it will come back but then fades again. They arent air brakes so im guessing its a braking system like a passenger truck. Am i correct to assume this?

6.) I am not familiar with the US gear exhaust brake. I have tried to look them up on YouTube and google but haven't really found much. The box is located on the dash and then there are two red buttons located next to the transmission shift lever. How does this system work?

Marty
I'm not sure how to edit my OP but I found the manual for the landing gear and have that figured out. I'll edit my OP once I figure it out. Thanks!

Marty
Old 05-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #5

Some of us with older coaches have rubbed out the gel coat with a DA and scotch bright pad attached and then coated with Zep Wet Look floor coating. It's not a wax but is an acrylic polymer. Lasts 3-5 years with no maintenance except washing. Leaves a nice shinny coat that makes bugs easier to remove. Home Depot used to have Wet Look in a house brand called Red Max Pro. (RMP) The vinyl is another issue. Last year I removed the vinyl from my old Bounder and painted the stripes on. Looks like factory new.
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...5.cfm#29658965
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
Some of us with older coaches have rubbed out the gel coat with a DA and scotch bright pad attached and then coated with Zep Wet Look floor coating. It's not a wax but is an acrylic polymer. Lasts 3-5 years with no maintenance except washing. Leaves a nice shinny coat that makes bugs easier to remove. Home Depot used to have Wet Look in a house brand called Red Max Pro. (RMP) The vinyl is another issue. Last year I removed the vinyl from my old Bounder and painted the stripes on. Looks like factory new.
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...5.cfm#29658965
Awesome. I'll check that out!
Old 05-22-2019, 06:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlater View Post

Marty
I had a mechanics shop come by today that services our semis and they mentioned a possible contamination of the fluid. How does the braking system work in this coach?

Tags
bounder, diesel, fleetwood