Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2013, 03:23 AM   #1

1993 Southwind 34 Fuse for Interior Lighting

While trying an led replacement bulb in the interior light above the head of the rear bed, I accidentally blew a fuse. I looked at the diagram on the inside of the fuse/breaker cover and could not determine which fuse controls that circuit. This is the fuse/breaker panel located in the left (driver side) rear bay.

Is there a more informative diagram anywhere? Or could someone set me in the right direction? With some help here, maybe I can avoid pulling and inspecting all of the fuses to find the blown one! Thanks. Jon

This is a diesel pusher model with and Oshkosh chassis.
Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2013, 03:48 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2. An inexpensive fuse tester like this one will find that fuse.

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/brow...FVRk7AodOH4Aaw

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:18 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
This should do the testing job for most all fuses:
Bussmann FT-3 Fuse Tester-Automotive | TESSCO
Shop around for a better $
2007 Saturn Vue RedLine
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
This should do the testing job for most all fuses: Bussmann FT-3 Fuse Tester-Automotive | TESSCO Shop around for a better $
You must be rich Steve. My link was only $4.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:28 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
You must be rich Steve. My link was only $4.
Money is no object!
2007 Saturn Vue RedLine
Old 10-31-2013, 07:29 AM   #6

Thanks for your interest. I haven't pulled any yet but I am assuming that a visual inspection would show the blown filament in the clear plastic fuse.

I am hoping for information on the location of the fuse in the panel that relates to the circuit, i.e. rear bedroom above the headboard and on the forward right corner of the bedroom. I'm going to take another look at the diagram on the inside of the panel cover before I go into removing fuses one at a time. I would like to know the exact fuse location for this circuit.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:38 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Prince,

I hope another member can tell you definitively where the offending fuse is located. Until then Cliff and my gizmos can test all fuses in place. You don't have to take any fuse out of its socket to test.
AND
2007 Saturn Vue RedLine
Old 10-31-2013, 09:35 AM   #8

OK. I didn't understand that the tool can check the fuse in place and hence my reply.

Now I'm going to take a look at that tool in detail like I should have in the first place. I definitely want one.

I download the owners manual for the 93 Southwind 34 and it does not have a fuse box diagram. I still need to take a closer look at the one on the inside of the box cover.

Thanks for the follow-up and thanks for the welcome!!!
Old 10-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
OK. I didn't understand that the tool can check the fuse in place and hence my reply.

Now I'm going to take a look at that tool in detail like I should have in the first place. I definitely want one.

I download the owners manual for the 93 Southwind 34 and it does not have a fuse box diagram. I still need to take a closer look at the one on the inside of the box cover.

No problem.
You have joined the Fleetwood band of brothers and sisters.
We've got your back!
2007 Saturn Vue RedLine
Old 10-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #10

Quote:

Give Fleetwood a call and they will email you all the info on your m/h. I did and now I have all the electrical schematics and diagrams. Also the buildsheet on my rig as it left the plant. Very good info and free.

R
Socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #11

I very much appreciate all of the helpful comments and positive support here. I'm a new owner of this past week and like to do my own repairs when possible.

After being reminded that the fuses have terminal exposure at the top of the fuse, I can now understand how the continuity testers recommended above can be used without removing the fuses. I keep a small VOM (test meter) aboard and used that to check the continuity at those exposed terminal spots. I could find no bad fuses in that left rear bay fuse/breaker/solenoid box. I had my electrical technician friend double check my inspection and he found all fuses good.

Any suggestions on other fuse locations? Again, I have lost power in the rear bedroom 12V lighting circuit.

Thanks too for the info about Fleetwood support for full documentation. I will be making that call today.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #12

Solved.
Taking Socaltoolguy's advice, I contacted Fleetwood after registering my new ownership on their site. Instead of calling though, I just used the Contact email and I received an email shortly:
Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry on fleetwoodrv.com. We will reply within a few business days. If you need immediate assistance, please contact Fleetwood Owner Relations at 800-322-8216, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. EST.

Owner Relations
Fleetwood Motor Homes
I called the 800 number and was hooked up with a very knowledgeable rep who told me to pull down the door under the refrigerator to reveal cabin circuit breakers and fuses under a plate there. The back of the plate cover of the fuses listed and named six 12V cabin circuits. That allowed me to go directly to the one fuse and I found it blown.

I'm keeping that 800 number and can highly recommend it. I didn't expect such good factory support and that is a pleasant surprise.

So your support here lead me to the solution and I thank you all for that.

Regards, Jon
Old 11-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Solved.
Taking Socaltoolguy's advice, I contacted Fleetwood after registering my new ownership on their site. Instead of calling though, I just used the Contact email and I received an email shortly:

I called the 800 number and was hooked up with a very knowledgeable rep who told me to pull down the door under the refrigerator to reveal cabin circuit breakers and fuses under a plate there. The back of the plate cover of the fuses listed and named six 12V cabin circuits. That allowed me to go directly to the one fuse and I found it blown.

I'm keeping that 800 number and can highly recommend it. I didn't expect such good factory support and that is a pleasant surprise.

So your support here lead me to the solution and I thank you all for that.

Regards, Jon
I can't recommend enough that folks with a question of any kind, get in touch with Fleetwood Customer Service. They are fantastic. In this world of customer service coming from foreign countries, it's really wonderful to have such knowledgeable helpful people such as we have at Fleetwood. Thanks so much for being there for us.

Ray Scrafield
Socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ray,

Ditto to that and, don't forget, they want us to purchase Fleetwood products again!
2007 Saturn Vue RedLine

Tags
southwind, fuse