Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2021, 07:00 AM   #1

1996 American Eagle - Air Tank Replacement

Was under the rig this weekend searching out air leaks and found a pin hole in my System 1 Air Tank (Wet and Dry). Working with Spartan to get a replacement tank cost. Obviously, rig is sitting dead in the driveway and not too thrilled about having mechanic coming out to replace the tank. Only 8 or 9 hose fittings and two auto water extractors on the bottom to replace. Anybody replace theirs, at the shop or by themselves? Looking for cost and/or how much a PIA it is. Have worked on the air system before, so not afraid to pull the tank, but more worried about getting to fittings that were originally accessed from above (before the house was built).
degkop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #2

Here are a few photos of the hole and the connections on the top of the tank.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1778.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	558.0 KB
ID:	322231
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1779.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	322232
Old 04-08-2021, 06:37 AM   #3

Yikes. Sorry but I have not pulled one before. Looking at the pic, it “might” have enough slack in lines to lower enough to get to connections and undo. If it were me, I’d be replacing those compression fittings with push to connect to ease install. Please keep us posted on your progress/solution. This is good info for the next person.
Trexoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:53 PM   #4

Tank is out, new tank is ready to go inClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1798.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	325895
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1799.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	325896
Old 04-21-2021, 08:00 PM   #5

Was able to get the tank out with just removing the side bolts and then working front to back to get the hoses off. A big help was to cut all of the zip ties that Spartan used to neaten things up when they initially put in the tanks. There must have been 20 of them that kept things really tight. Once I was able to get the wire cutters up there to cut them (trying to stay away from the hoses) things were a lot easier to get to. You will want a really stubby set of wrenches or a small adjustable wrench that will open to 1” to get onto the air fittings. Plan is to simply repeat the removal in reverse and hope that all of the hoses have enough slack to get back on. Am not going to convert to slip on connectors as 1) I don’t want to spend $100 on 8 fittings and 2) not being 100% sure that they are air tight until I get everything bolted up and back in place. No way to get my hands in there, so even if I switched, I would have to drop the tank again if there are any leaks. Keeping my fingers crossed that there will be no leaks....

Tags
ace, air, replace, replacement, tank