RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2020, 09:23 AM   #1

1996 Eagle cooling system

Been having a engine cooling problem on long pulls since I got it. Got a 8 mile 5% grade coming over the Cascades and had to stop 3 times to let the temp come down. Pulled the radiator and was pretty much full of dirt/sand etc. $250 later it was all nice and clean. While its out I decided to look at the rest of the system. Fan motor is a all cast iron Casappa. Just starting to leak at the front seal and been unable to find parts for it. Anybody have a source? Been also looking into the possibility of going to a pump with a higher gpm to run the fan faster at a lower rpm and increased speed at 2200. Been done?
1996 Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2020, 11:13 AM   #2

I own a 1997 with the Cummins and side radiator. Is this what you have? If not do a search and I think you will find a couple 1996 owners that may have some tips to help you out. When I first purchased my prior coach (Holiday Rambler 38') it had a rear radiator and it did the same thing you have experienced on my first big run over the mountain passes out here in the PNW. What I ended up doing was to have a local over the road shop clean the radiator of all the gunk built up on the inside bottom of my radiator and this fixed the overheat issues while climbing the mountain passes. If you have the rear radiator I would start by cleaning it and if its a side radiator post more info and I'm sure you will get some help here.
Hope that helps

Maybe check the CAC if you have the side radiator and make sure it is clean.

with 325 Cummins & Spartan chassis
completelymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:03 AM   #3

IS 96 American Eagle with side radiator. Was cleaned inside and out at the local radiator shop(pretty dirty). Question was has anybody went to a higher gpm hydraulic pump to increase fan speed at lower engine speeds? Any higher pressure that usually comes with a higher volume pump would be controlled at the priority valve. After cleaning off the motor it is actually aluminum. Had to order the shaft seal so it sits for about a week. Air cooler is being cleaned as well.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:41 PM   #4

Had similar problem 1996 American Dream. Valve controlling hydraulic flow to fan was faulty and not allowing adequate pressure for cooling on long pulls
Toothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:30 PM   #5

Thumbs up eagle cooling issues?

I have a1992 eagle 8.3 350 cummins, one of the first things I did as you have done the radiator outside cleaning.I got a black max composit cooling fan it moves a lot more air compared to the stock fan.I would not like to change the hyd.motor as it would put a lot of load on the hyd pump.this worked for me.TKS
Travel Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:34 AM   #6

Have bought a replacement fan for the metal original. It is a nylon composite and hose 9 blades that are bigger. Blades are too close to the crossmember and am having to space out the fan. Going to install radiator anc ck clearance on the radiator side. Do you have the p/n of the fan you used? Thanks
Old 09-25-2020, 11:54 AM   #7

Post eagle cooling issues?

I will see if I can find a # for you its been a while???TKS
Old 09-25-2020, 12:52 PM   #8

Question eagle cooling issues?

I cannot find the part# I used but you could have a look at Horton #ms8 or #ms9, hope this helps you out.TKS

Tags
cooling