Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
1997 American Dream on Gilig Chassis fan radiator fan runs all the time

Just noticed my hydraulic radiator fan is running all the time.

Gillig tells me that there is a sensor to control the fan solenoid.

These things always happen right before a trip.

I want to leave tomorrow for the New England Hot Rod Reunion (800 miles round trip).

Will I hurt the motor if I drive there and back before fixing this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp sensor.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	104631  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Chassis 6c and S40 10-29804.pdf (367.3 KB, 52 views)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2015, 04:17 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Glenn,

I've got the same coach as you, only on the Spartan chassis. I just had my hydraulic motor replaced due to a failure caused by debris picked up on the interstate. I do not have any, according to Spartan, sensor or other device to control the fan. The hydraulic motor is running continuously, and has been for 18 years. It is a great idea and a retrofit will be explored!

Don't think there is a problem. Enjoy your trip.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:29 PM   #3
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stkt View Post
Glenn,

I've got the same coach as you, only on the Spartan chassis. I just had my hydraulic motor replaced due to a failure caused by debris picked up on the interstate. I do not have any, according to Spartan, sensor or other device to control the fan. The hydraulic motor is running continuously, and has been for 18 years. It is a great idea and a retrofit will be explored!

Don't think there is a problem. Enjoy your trip.

I think you would need a different motor for the fan in order to make this work on your coach.

The fan on this chassis is supposed to come on as needed. Gillig confirmed this this afternoon. This fan pushes a HUGE amount of air. You can hear it from the drivers seat.

The people at Gillig are extremely helpful.

There are several parts to this system. dual temp warning switch 51-23245-000 $84.99ea in stock ( the purpose is one to turn the fan on, and at a higher temperature turn the overheating light on on the dash) fan, valve solenoid 12V part# 53-29242-003 (originally 53-29242-001) $243.77ea in stock. Solenoid part# 82-47379-000 $76.85ea in stock. The hydraulic fan motor which I did not ask the price on and I'm sure is sky high.

Gillig provided the wiring diagram.

and in the upper left corner is the circuitry for the fan.

I crawled under the Motor Home this evening (after dark) with a flash light and my phone camera and found the fan, valve solenoid 12V part# 53-29242-003. This thing will be a bear to get to, I hope this is not the problem.

It looks like it sends hydraulic pressure to the hydraulic fan motor to turn it on and off. The small hose going into the side of the fan motor.

I cannot impress on you just how large this multi-bladed fan is and just how much air it moves. The picture does not convey the size of this thing.

Gillig sent the location of the sensor.

The diagram certainly makes it look easy to get to.

I did find it. This is the back side of the piping where the sensor is located, the three wire plug is the plug for the sensor.

This is the other side of the piping you just saw. The sensor is just under the two green wires sort of in the center of the picture.

I have been advised by Gillig that I can drive the motor home with the fan running all the time so I will make this trip and when I return will diagnose and figure out what parts I need to fix this problem.

Your chassis and engine is so much cleaner, I feel ashamed to show these pictures.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-25-2015, 08:55 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
That design is sooooooo much more elaborate than my setup, and makes me wonder if Gillig had a better chassis at that time compared to Spartan. It also means you'd smoke me off the line. That's an idea, drag racing Motorhomes!

The folks at Spartan told me the fan pulls between 30-40hp and there is no fix for the fan running continuously. The fan is metal and it's huge. I was told that two other purposes exist for the fan in addition to cooling the engine coolant and they are cooling the oil cooler and the charge air cooler. I didn't see it in your diagram, but I do know some of those systems like yours have two temps they monitor to regulate the hydraulic motor. The first, obviously, is the engine temp. The second is the charge air cooler. I believe some of those systems turn on the hydraulic motor if the air in the charge air cooler reaches 150.

In any event, many thanks for those part numbers and pics. Because of the hp potential gain, I'm going to see if there are any Gillig centers around my area and discuss the option. Safe travels.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:55 PM   #5
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stkt View Post
That design is sooooooo much more elaborate than my setup, and makes me wonder if Gillig had a better chassis at that time compared to Spartan. It also means you'd smoke me off the line. That's an idea, drag racing Motorhomes!

The folks at Spartan told me the fan pulls between 30-40hp and there is no fix for the fan running continuously. The fan is metal and it's huge. I was told that two other purposes exist for the fan in addition to cooling the engine coolant and they are cooling the oil cooler and the charge air cooler. I didn't see it in your diagram, but I do know some of those systems like yours have two temps they monitor to regulate the hydraulic motor. The first, obviously, is the engine temp. The second is the charge air cooler. I believe some of those systems turn on the hydraulic motor if the air in the charge air cooler reaches 150.

In any event, many thanks for those part numbers and pics. Because of the hp potential gain, I'm going to see if there are any Gillig centers around my area and discuss the option. Safe travels.
This motor home is a hot rod, I swear it has faster pickup than my F-350 diesel.

I have been told that the Gillig chassis was a $20,000 upgrade at the time of purchase. The original purchaser of this motor home also purchased the 325 HP 6CTA engine which was also an upgrade. This engine was widely used in firetrucks and marine applications.

That being said complicated systems are not always the best route, they break a lot.

There are no Gillig service centers anywhere around here. Interesting the Rochester Transit Authority uses Gillig buses exclusively (that is where I saw the bus with the electric fans (still trying to get a picture of it for you)). I would really like to get them to do some of the service on this chassis, but they will not work on private vehicles. I do know a road service guy that works for RTA, but have not had him do any work. I am not sure of the level of knowledge he has. After the four bad experiences I have had farming work out I am very reluctant to have someone else work on this Motor Home.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
chassis, fan, radiator