Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2016, 08:12 AM   #1

1997 Discovery computer

I have a 1997 Discovery 36RS and I have been looking for a computer monitoring system for it. It is an older design and I am unable to locate a system that I will connect to and read/talk to the on-board system.

I would like to be able to monitor the fuel system as well as other systems and be more pro-active with service and repairs. I have found lots of systems on the market but none will connect to the older style connectors on my coach.

Thanks for any help.
SquireDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #2

What chassis do you have ?? That is where I would start..
mrkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:02 AM   #3

Opps... sorry I guess that would help!

I have the XC chassis
Old 04-16-2016, 02:05 AM   #4

The only method or tool I have found so far is the VMSpc from Silverleaf Electronics (www.simply-smarter.com)

Got any other suggestions?
Old 04-16-2016, 05:35 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have used the VMSpc on my 99 Discovery for over 13 years now.
It is a plug & play. You can monitor many engine/transmission items.
It also has a maintenance part that keeps track when anything is needing service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VMSpc.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	124217  
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:45 AM   #6

Thanks, you're the first person I know who has used this product as you seem to like it! How did you decide on a place to put your laptop while driving with everything else going on these days?
Apart from the original dashboard layout I have... a 7in 2x front corner proximity camera monitor... 9in 4x camera side & rear monitor (replaced the original B/W rear camera with)... Rand McNally GPS Map system(I am no happy as this unit is very hard to read while driving)... 11in iPad for mapping...
I had read that the VMSpc can integrate you navigation into its screen but I have not seen how to do that yet. If that is possible I could get rid of the iPad & Rand McNally GPS.
Thanks
Old 04-17-2016, 08:02 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
As you can see my VMSpc runs as in my picture sitting on the dash now for many years. Picture was taken while driving. Notice at bottom left the road speed is at 58.8 MPH. I never look at the dash speedometer or Tach any more.

Top left shows what gear it is set for and what gear it is in. Great for manual downshifting going up long hills to keep transmission from hunting.

You can download the software for Free(bottom of VMSpc link) to your laptop and play with different screen settings.

On the drivers side window I have a iPad mounted on a Ram mount.
I run the $15 Co-Pilot GPS on it. I also have another laptop sitting on a table to the right of drivers seat. On it I run MS S&T GPS.

Then there is the tire psi monitoring system also on the dash.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
computer