Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2021, 08:19 PM   #1

1997 Fleetwood Discovery 37'

I just bought a 97 Fleetwood Discovery. It's a pusher with the 5.9. It's in fairly decent shape. It needs tires. WOW, how about the cost of 22.5's. She needs a good cleaning. The controller for the jacks is missing. And the guy I bought from says the genset runs, but I cant say for sure. He says there's a propane leak-he thinks. we'll be checking that. The side awning is missing. Otherwise it's all there, with 55k on the clock. Inside is very nice and just needs my wifes touch. The jack controller is obsolete from what I've read. There is a new style one in the RV, but 1 plug in is different. I don't really need the jacks anyway, but I'd like to get them working. Kinda anal about things like that. The awning is no big deal either-I'll run into one some day. The genset is an issue. The PO says the genset runs off propane. Is that normal on these units? And if so, the fuel line runs from the tank ,which is behind RR wheel, all the way to the genset. He said he smelled propane the last time he turned on the gas and genset wouldn't start. Sound like anybody's experience? Any help on this would be appreciated. She's a dusty ole girl, but as soon as I get her home, the work begins. Thanks in advance.
tompands is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2021, 09:34 AM   #2

I posted this in the "Vintage section" at first and then had it moved. Any of you older Discovery owners are welcome to give me ANY tips, pointers, advice or suggestions you have. I appreciate the help. And could someone tell me how to open the front to slide the genset out. The PO said I need to remove bolts which doesn't seem right. I don't have the RV here yet so I can't really examine it. Going this weekend to bring her home.
Old 08-27-2021, 01:03 PM   #3

I guess I'm the only one that has a 24 year old motorhome.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:17 PM   #4

Well, I have different and older brand but mine was also sans canopy for some reason. I was all about putting one back on for a long time but I've changed my mind. We camp with family that also has campers and they have rollout canopies. We all actually are more likely to use the pop up style. We are even upgrading ours to one with fold down sides that either extend the roof area or drop down to block sun. And still collapses to stow under the coach.
The only real advantage to one fastened to the coach is that you can step out the door under it when it is raining. Not worth it to me. I only have the frame though, I've had to source the entire roller assembly.

I'd have to fix the jacks. A surprising number of campsites aren't very level. Using jacks beats the heck out of putting stuff under the wheels if you ask me. Plus the wobble you get walking about inside when not on jacks bothers me a bit.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:46 AM   #5

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way about the awning. I would probably never use it anyway. I just bought this to go back and forth from fla to nc. My kids live there and I have 2 huge(200lb) dogs that I take with me. They get cramped in a SUV for a 8 hr trip.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:31 AM   #6

We use the awnings to shade the sides of the RV. Helps to keep it cool.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 03:05 PM   #7

Well, she's home. 80 mile trip with no issues. Brake lights don't work. Fuel gauge reads 1/4 tank and it's full. Wife road my butt all the way home. I was waiting for a tire to blow but we made it. It rode very good with minimal noise. Entry door has wind coming thru it. Engine ran great and trans did it's job. Now the work begins. Still welcoming any advice from other Discovery owners. Need all the help I can get.
Old 08-29-2021, 02:46 AM   #8

For replacement parts you might want to consider RV bone yards like this one.
https://usedrvparts.visonerv.com/cgi...ccessories.pl?

I replaced my 13 year old tires at a cost of $4,700...

Have fun and Good Luck
John
Old 08-29-2021, 06:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5UMC View Post
For replacement parts you might want to consider RV bone yards like this one.
https://usedrvparts.visonerv.com/cgi...ccessories.pl?

I replaced my 13 year old tires at a cost of $4,700...

Have fun and Good Luck
John
I've already been on the phone with that place. They are VERY proud of their parts, if you know what I mean. But, if you need something, they sure have it. A good resource I guess.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:16 AM   #10

Hi Tompands

I used to have a 1997 37R Discovery and I worked on her from stem to stern, so possibility I can help.

The Onan Generator is propane burning unit. It actually uses LIQUID propane from a separate large tank mounted between the frame rails. THe liquid propane is pumped to the genset, where it is converted to vapor and enters the pistons. That conversion process of going from liquid to gas is where I had problems. It collect oils called "ends" from the tank and after a while the oils clog up the vaporizing parts. There is good news and bad news here.

Good news first: The repair is actually doable for a average weekend mechanic. I have some service manuals that show how the system works.

Bad News: The entire genset needs to be unbolted from the frame and lowered down and rolled out. I did it twice. Again, depending on skill level and "want to do it ness" it is doable, just not real easy. I can describe how I did mine if you would like.

The front door wind noise is very common in that year coach. Fleetwood worked and worked experimenting on my coach trying to fix or reduce it. My coach had a front awning arm just before the door, and that arm was a major source of the noise. The other noise maker is the door itself. The top of the door will bend outward slightly as you drive down the road just enough to generate the noise. You can try to tighten the door.

Your jacks are Power Gear and actually easy to work on. Power Gear has a great website with all sorts of manuals to help. What exactly isn't working?

Stop or brake lights. What is or is not working? Does the center Cyclops brake light come on, but the left/right side lights fail to light up? This is important.

Any other questions?
Here is a picture of my baby during a snow ski trip to West Virginia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ski Caanan 2005 056.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	362.4 KB
ID:	341311  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:53 AM   #11

I paid $3500 for 6 Bridgestone 275/70/22.5 R250 ED tires back in 2016 for my current coach. Besides Goodyear, Michelin, Bridgestone, also look at Toyo. Many owners have these and they seem to perform well. I really like my Bridgestone tires. Just make sure you match the original equipment tire sizes. BTW, there should be a sticker behind the drivers seat on the wall showing tire size and a whole bunch more important information.

Here is a link I just found for tires that may be helpful to you.

https://www.tiredeets.com/commercial-truck-tires/
Old 08-29-2021, 07:56 AM   #12

BTW, the propane tank that is behind the rear wheels is for the heating and cooking. Its a relatively smaller tank compared to the generator tank.

If the PO indicated he smelled propane gas when he "turned on the gas", I suspect it is this smaller appliance tank or associated plumbing causing the smell. THe larger generator tank can't be turned off and on except manually by a valve at the tank under the coach. Back many years ago, I traced a propane leak to a defected weld on the end caps of the smaller appliance propane tank. Manchester Tanks, at the time warranted the tank for life, so they came to the house, picked up the tank, fixed the weld and returned the tank all painted and looking new. All I had to do was remove the tank, and then reinstall it.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:02 AM   #13

Be careful dealing with https://usedrvparts.visonerv.com/cgi...ccessories.pl? We live about 50 miles from them and I've given up even thinking about doing business with them. I've tried 3 times, and each time I left empty handed with a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm not saying don't deal with them, as management can change from time to time, but just keep your eyes open.
Old 08-30-2021, 04:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Be careful dealing with https://usedrvparts.visonerv.com/cgi...ccessories.pl? We live about 50 miles from them and I've given up even thinking about doing business with them. I've tried 3 times, and each time I left empty handed with a bad taste in my mouth.

I'm not saying don't deal with them, as management can change from time to time, but just keep your eyes open.
I kind of got that just by talking to the guy on the phone, in 5 min. I asked them about a awning for this Discovery , you would of thought I asked him to sell me his first born child. Very loud and the prices were out of this world. I think he wanted $1200 plus $500 shipping.

Tags
cover, discovery, fleetwood