Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2015, 12:07 PM   #1

1997 Fleetwood Discovery air suspension problems

We have a 1997 Discovery coach. We pulled into our daughters house and the coach indicators for air pressure went to below 50 and will not recharge.
My husband is not familiar with this part of our coach and is trying to find the correct book to look and see how to repair this problem.
Can someone please tell me what book to go to that will possibly have pictures of the air suspension system/brakes and connection points for our coach? I am pretty sure that if he knows what book to look in and can see where the parts are that he can "fix it".
We cannot move the coach at this time. The parking brake will not disengage and the air system will not recharge. The coach does start readily but the low air sensor is lit and will not go off.
Thanks for any help you can give us. I can provide the FIN and VIN numbers if needed.http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif
lgkersey1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2015, 12:26 PM   #2

First thing I would do is listen for air leaks while the engine is running. If it is a leak it should be significant being the compressor is no able to keep up. What brand and model chassis do you have?
Old 09-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #3

Exactly like HarryB said. Find the leak and it will help in what to do next. I used to have a 1997 36RS Discovery and I may be able to help a little. Possible problem areas are:

1. One of the air bags is not sealed and air will leak out. For some reason my passenger side rear bag was always the one to leak I found coating the airbag cylinder (about the size of a coffee can) with silicon spray allowed the rubber bag to slide on it easier thus making a seal. You may have to inflate the bag, then deflate the bag several times before it seals. Possibility you may need new bags.

2. When was the last time the compressed air dryer was serviced? If I remember right it is located passenger side next to last compartment. This device will keep the compressed air dry and a valve in it can sometimes get stuck open. It is the thing you hear when the coach is all pressurized and it expels air suddenly. Picture shows the air dryer location and the part you will need to replace if you haven't done so in the past 2 years or so. Picture of the replaceable dryer part also has my home made removal wrench in it. The can unscrews and I had to make a wrench to get it started.

3. well, lets not go there...I'm heading into the more expensive parts. I always start out cheap and go toward expensive!

Keep us posted!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Dryer 004.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	106046   Click image for larger version

Name:	BigD 001.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	361.5 KB
ID:	106047  

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 02:30 PM   #4

I have not been able to locate this device. I did locate something that has a clear glass bubble on the passenger side behind the next to the last compartment but it looks like a fuel filter or water separator. I will try to get a picture of it and add it to this posting. There seems to be a hissing behind the drivers side rear wheel but I cannot find out where it is coming from I am wondering about a bottle of soapy water to start spraying everything and looking for bubbles to help me locate the leak. Is that a good thing to do or not? I used to do that to find gas leaks or air leaks in tires.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:32 PM   #5

My chassis is a freight liner, sorry to forget that info in last reply. I don't know the model, where can I find that info?
Old 09-06-2015, 02:43 PM   #6

We had an electrical problem with the head lights on our way to Las Vegas. The headlight switch shorted out and I had to get another one to replace it. I have found out that the light switch that was used in out RV was a Ford light switch from a HD Econ line truck, that was used in 1970's to 1998. It is an 8 pole switch and has since been(supposedly) replaced with a nine pole switch. The part that I have found is part number BWD S149P in large print on the box, or in fine print the number 53-22304. The old school parts place that I went to knew exactly where to go to get the correct switch. It seems that this was a common problem back in the 70's. It plugged right in and fixed the problem once I got the old switch out of the dash which was a tricky thing in and of itself.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #7

I just looked at my owners freightliners book. It is Titled: XC-21/23/24/25RDX/RR X-Line Coach Rear Diesel (B5.9) Serial number 300000-OM3085 Rev 3. Can anyone decipher this?
Old 09-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #8

XC Chassis rear engine Cummins B5.9 liter. That is a 275 HP engine.

Now that you mention it, I had to replace the headlight switch in the 1997 36RS also.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:57 PM   #9

A BIG Thank You!!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been reading all my owners manuals trying to get a handle on this problem. My freight Liner owners book suggested somethings for me to check out and described what the equipment should look like and also switches and switch positions. I must be dumber than a post because I cannot seem to find the equipment that they have described or the switches either. I have been a mechanic almost all my working career and this beats the @#$% out of me!! I traced out the wiring for the headlight problem (diagnosed it) and found and replaced the switch and that was an experience by self. This pneumatic stuff is NOT a big deal. If I can locate the problem, I can usually figure out what/how to "fix it". Just wanted to say a big Thank you for all your suggestions.. I will continue to try and fix this and get back to you with the "cure". Linda/Dan
Old 09-07-2015, 05:09 PM   #10

What equipment and switches are you looking for? I may be able to help. I just about worked on every part on my previous coach, and if my memory doesn't fail me I may remember something important.

BTW, I sent you a Private Message. It should pop up in the upper right of this page.

Pete
Old 09-07-2015, 05:37 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgkersey1944 View Post
My chassis is a freight liner, sorry to forget that info in last reply. I don't know the model, where can I find that info?
You need to get a free sign in to accessfreightliner.com then you can get to workshop manuals by vin number.

Mine is an XC chassis also. Looking at the pressure gage on the dash I have two needles. The Red one is for rear pressure and the green one is for the front.

Make sure the compressor is putting out.
Keep in mind that you might be able to pressurize the system with an external pump. I carry a 1.5hp sears pump just for emergencies.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:45 PM   #12

Make sure that your air dump switch is in the inflate position.

2001 American Eagle 40 US 8.9 ISL, towing 1999 Cherokee or 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with Polaris RZR in the back.
Jimalberta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension, fleetwood