Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2022, 09:18 PM   #1

1997 pace arrow leveling jacks

I have a 1997 pace arrow with a power gear leveling system and when I went to retract the jacks today only the rear jacks retracted does anyone have any suggestions what to look at?
Psdiesel99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2022, 10:01 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
You need to look at the pump and valve assembly. It should have 4 solenoids. One is for the left rear jack, one for the right rear jack and one for both front jacks. The forth solenoid is the retract all valve. When you press retact all the retract valve open-top let fluid back into the reservoir. The other valves also have to open to let the fluid return. I'm guessing the front valve is not getting power to open. Check Power at all the valves. 12vdc.⁶
VIETVET72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:36 PM   #3

Engine shutdown during downpour.

For the third time we have dealt with ourMonaco Knight shutting down the engine while on the road. It only happens with heavy rains. The engine will restart but once you accelerate it shuts down around 1000 rpm’s. As it dries out you can increase the rpm’s but very slowly. Frequently it take overnight to dry out the issue. We have brought the coach to two different service centers and both were unable to duplicate the problem. For some reason it is not recorded with the engine computer. Anyone out there experience a similar problem or have some thoughts to what is shorting out the engine. Very dangerous on our highways. Roger Peck
Toby the pug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psdiesel99 View Post
I have a 1997 pace arrow with a power gear leveling system and when I went to retract the jacks today only the rear jacks retracted does anyone have any suggestions what to look at?
How many front jack legs does your coach have? One or two?

Some Power Gear legs have Zerk grease fitting at the bottom of the legs. Check to see if yours has them. If they do, one or two pumps with a grease gun will help.

Have you inspected the front leg (s) to see if the spring is still attached to the foot and top of the leg (s)

Try cleaning the chrome piston with silicone spray. Spray the silicone on a paper towel and thoroughly clean the piston. This should be done periodically.

When was the last time the Power Gear hydraulic fluid was changed?

Try lifting the front legs up while someone is pressing the retract button.

Power Gear has a wealth of information on their web site. Problem is finding the right info to match your system.

Please let us know what you find out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedIMG_5362_LI 1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	373702  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby the pug View Post
For the third time we have dealt with ourMonaco Knight shutting down the engine while on the road. It only happens with heavy rains. The engine will restart but once you accelerate it shuts down around 1000 rpm’s. As it dries out you can increase the rpm’s but very slowly. Frequently it take overnight to dry out the issue. We have brought the coach to two different service centers and both were unable to duplicate the problem. For some reason it is not recorded with the engine computer. Anyone out there experience a similar problem or have some thoughts to what is shorting out the engine. Very dangerous on our highways. Roger Peck
Roger, just a suggestion, but why don't you ask the moderators to move your post to a new forum topic instead of this one on Power Gear leveling system. Also, what make, model year coach do you have. What engine does it have?
Old 08-15-2022, 07:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
How many front jack legs does your coach have? One or two?

Some Power Gear legs have Zerk grease fitting at the bottom of the legs. Check to see if yours has them. If they do, one or two pumps with a grease gun will help.

Have you inspected the front leg (s) to see if the spring is still attached to the foot and top of the leg (s)

Try cleaning the chrome piston with silicone spray. Spray the silicone on a paper towel and thoroughly clean the piston. This should be done periodically.

When was the last time the Power Gear hydraulic fluid was changed?

Try lifting the front legs up while someone is pressing the retract button.

Power Gear has a wealth of information on their web site. Problem is finding the right info to match your system.

Please let us know what you find out

I have two front jacks and have tried most of what u recommended - I am trying to find a new coil for the solenoids now as I think the front one is bad and I’m also going to change the fluid while I’m at it since this coach is fairly new to me and I’m not sure when it was changed last. I will let you know when I find a coil if that fixes my problem thanks for your help so far
Old 08-15-2022, 08:28 AM   #7

I had a solenoid coil that when I started troubleshooting the terminal broke right off the coil. I removed the coil and carefully either drilled or used a self tapping screw to make a new contact. If memory serves me I had to be careful to not pierce into the windings of the coil.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:45 AM   #8

Quote:
I have two front jacks and have tried most of what u recommended - I am trying to find a new coil for the solenoids now as I think the front one is bad and I’m also going to change the fluid while I’m at it since this coach is fairly new to me and I’m not sure when it was changed last. I will let you know when I find a coil if that fixes my problem thanks for your help so far
Two front jack legs. Does either one go up any at all when you press the retract button?

Since the rear ones go up, but the front ones do not, I'm leaning toward the jack legs them selves being bad. Either binding or spring. When we first got our coach one of the legs was bent and it would not go up all the way.

Another thought would be a kinked, or pinched hydraulic line going to the front legs. When the pump is running pressure forced fluid past the kink, but when retracting, there is only the springs pushing the fluid back.

I believe the solenoids are removeable and you can carefully swap one for another. Just take plenty of pictures before and after.
Old 08-20-2022, 03:29 PM   #9

The solenoid that runs the front jacks was bad I replaced it with one comparable but need to find proper one now - after I got that fixed the motor started running continuously like the motor solenoid is stuck so now I need to fix that and I also developed a fuel issue so I guess when it rains it pours!!
Old 08-20-2022, 07:08 PM   #10

Does anyone know what would cause the motor solenoid on the pump to run continuously? I have power feeding the small blue wire from touchpad to solenoid all the time as soon as I turn the key on? Is my touchpad bad?
Old 08-21-2022, 05:57 AM   #11

Its been several years and I don’t remember the specifics but I had to add 3 or 4 external relays and a push to connect switch to work around a similar problem on mine. I still use the touch pad but the push to connect switch and external relays are carrying the load.
Old 08-21-2022, 08:59 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
It's very likely that the TouchPad could be bad. When mine went bad about 4 years ago I found that you couldn't get a replacement except at a very high cost if at all. You may need to wire in a relay or on /off switch. I just put in a push button switch I had to hold while operating the system. Best of luck getting it fixed.
VIETVET72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 01:13 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
coils on hydraulics
Houston1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, jacks, leveling, leveling jacks, pace arrow