Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2019, 06:16 PM   #1

1997 Tioga Overcab - replacing walls

Hello - Does anyone know what a 1997 fleetwood tioga overhead cab is made out of? If it metal support or wood. my walls are getting soft from a old leak, which i think has been taken care of. I am wondering once i tear into the walls if the supports could be rotting too or if it is just the paneling. IF it i metal i can rebuild pretty easy,but if it is wood - concerned what i might be getting into...

Thanks
Leukass is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2019, 11:13 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Any luck?

We have a 2005 Tioga and so far we found aluminum in our cab floor. Have not attached the walls yet, but that's next.

Leak went undetected due to an entertainment center blocking any access to seeing the leaks. Turning the area into sleeping area.
Flee2thewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:48 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had a 2005 Fleetwood 26Q that I replaced a bunch of the overhead bunk, due to leaks.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160520_152027602_HDR.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	258113
Here is a view of the inside of the upper bunk area. We did not have a front window. I was inserting metallic faced rigid insulation panels between the aluminum framing rails. I used a spray on contact cement for adhesion, and aluminum duct tape along the framing.

Name:	IMG_20160619_123014760.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	258114
In some areas on the passenger side of the bunk, there were solid plywood panels.

Name:	IMG_20160619_123023131.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	258115
Ended up doing the walls, but did not take pictures of them. Eventually covered the bunk floor with luan and then finished with plastic laminate. The walls were done with luan and then covered with contact paper.

There were wood supports/framing that the front wall was stapled to. The supports and framing were held to the bunk frame with self drilling/tapping screws. As I remember, the wall panels are just held on with contact adhesive to the wall insulation and aluminum framing.

Here is a fuzzy shot of the end result:

Name:	IMG_20160812_132618841.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	258116
Old 08-28-2019, 10:53 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the pictures Louseman

This is awesome, and will be so helpful when we begin repairs.

Where did you get replacement fabric for ceiling, as it looks like the same material we have. Although I have considered replacing it with a lightweight wood paneling of some sort.

After repairs we plan to redecorate the inside. Pull carpet, put in vinyl flooring that looks like wood, paint cabinets, and replace seating with more comfortable furniture.

Thanks for the advice! Keep it coming
Old 08-28-2019, 11:38 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Where did you get replacement fabric for ceiling, as it looks like the same material we have. Although I have considered replacing it with a lightweight wood paneling of some sort.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:48 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flee2thewood View Post
I never did replace the fabric for the ceiling. I cleaned up the front most vertical panels up as best as possible with carpet cleaner. The stains were mostly covered up.
Here is the bunk floor after applying contact cement to the floor. Using sticks to support the luan panel that also has contact cement on it. Probably was drying at this point and the fumes were horrible. Never had great performance out of water based contact cements.

Name:	IMG_20160619_134518201.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	258523

Here is the bunk after gluing down the luan paneling. I did use some filler compound and sanding to level out some seams. You can see in the front where the wood furring strips were. As I remember, the lower strip was attached with some angle steel using self drilling screws into the aluminum framing (see the rust stain). I believe that the upper wood strip was just screwed into the wall frame aluminum.

Name:	IMG_20160710_152140709.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	258521

The "box" area at the front was then rebuilt with luan, and screwed to the furring strips. This covered the stain. The storage area on the passenger side was built with plywood. Then all of the surfaces were covered in white plastic laminate with contact cement.

Name:	IMG_20160810_193606524.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	258522

For reference, here is what I started with. We did not have a TV cabinet on the passenger side. There was a split foam cushion that laid on the pull out bunk, that would become flat when extended. The pullout panel and cushion were reused. I lowered the TV stand panel, and raised the storage compartment a bit in the rebuilt version.

Name:	IMG_20160524_170712101.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	258524Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160524_170720972.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	258525
Old 09-02-2019, 06:31 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for sharing. Finished cleaning up and removing all the damaged wood yesterday.

We have discovered a crack in the outside header of the unit where the running lights are installed on the front and back of the unit. A bit perplexed as to how that happened. Working on how to fix that, and order new ones if they can be found.

I'll post pictures soon on the project.
Old 11-27-2022, 01:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flee2thewood View Post
Thanks for sharing. Finished cleaning up and removing all the damaged wood yesterday.

We have discovered a crack in the outside header of the unit where the running lights are installed on the front and back of the unit. A bit perplexed as to how that happened. Working on how to fix that, and order new ones if they can be found.

I'll post pictures soon on the project.
Five years later... curious on how the project worked out for you, and would love to see some of the pictures you had planned to post.

I'm facing the same project next summer.
Old 11-28-2022, 04:44 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Rogers View Post
Five years later... curious on how the project worked out for you, and would love to see some of the pictures you had planned to post.

I'm facing the same project next summer.
Hi Ollie, So sorry we sold the rig shortly after having it professionally fixed, and didn't save our pictures.

Good luck!