Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2020, 03:52 PM   #1

1998 American Dream

Is there any market out there for a 40' 1999 American Dream motorhome with 60,000 miles which needs a bunch of TLC? Does not appear to be abused...only neglected.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2020, 03:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02trader View Post
Is there any market out there for a 40' 1999 American Dream motorhome with 60,000 miles which needs a bunch of TLC? Does not appear to be abused...only neglected.

Are you trying to sell or buy?
Old 08-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #3

I would say yes.
I bought my 98 Tradition in that condition, I got it for a steal and my labor is free. Has turned out to be a great coach.
chiefM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:03 PM   #4

I have a good friend who owns a storage warehouse and ended up with this coach in his warehouse...the owner has no interest in spending any time nor money getting it running. All batteries appear to be dead, tires all have mid-2018 build dates, upper windshield corners are taped on both sides but not broken. It looks like an older couple just walked away from the coach before the current owner inherited it...plastic bins in the basement are still stocked with paper towels, cabinets still stocked with dishes.
The owner wants to sell it...I'm just trying to help my friend who owns the warehouse get some sense of the market value and if there is any demand for this generation of coach in this condition...he may end up with it for what the owner owes him in storage fees!!!
Update...just heard from my friend...he got the chassis batteries charged enough to start the Cummins engine. Ran fine...charged at 13.1 volts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1999 Amercian Dream 1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	298489   Click image for larger version

Name:	1999 Amercian Dream 3.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	298491  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1999 Amercian Dream 2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	298493  
Old 08-24-2020, 05:53 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
That era coach is well built and has a good reputation. If it's all there as is and working it's worth bringing back up to snuff, but only if your friend can do the work.
Ain't no deal here if you'd have to pay for all repairs or updates.

But I'll take a stab.... here's a off the cuff list of possible issues:
All 6 batteries
Inverter/charger
Leveling system (out of production)
Old tube type TV's
Exhaust rusted
Exhaust manifold cracked
Air bags for suspension
Generator belt
Engine belts
Radiator dirty (low air flow)
A/C units condenser & evaporator dirty
A/C covers brittle
Manual awning
Figure out why windshields popped out, either way, probably need all new windshield rubber gaskets
Have to be sure all basement uprights aren't rusted out...

Right off top, I'd say guess about 20 to 25k to purchase, then add 10k for parts to bring back....

You supply labor, have a solid coach for 35k

Subtract 10k if it's been north of the rust belt for most it's life...
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #6

I agree with the others; that there is a market out there for these coaches. There are a premium built and long lasting classics.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:59 AM   #7

Thanks to all for your feedback on the 1999 American Dream, especially to mackwrench.

So, since there seems to be a niche demand for this age and condition of American Dream coaches, any thoughts on the preferred marketing medium to use to locate a buyer? Ads on Craigslist and Ebay would seem to be too broad an approach...RVTrader ads seem to be focused on newer coaches which are ready to drive away. Is there an owners group dedicated to this generation of Fleetwood products which may work a bit better to zero in on folks who would be interested in putting in the time to get an older coach like this one back on the road?
Thanks...
Old 08-25-2020, 10:13 AM   #8

That is a good coach and worth bringing back to life. Listen to Machwrench advise and if you can do the work it will be a great coach at a great price. My 1997 American Eagle was in similar shape when I purchased and it is a wonderful machine in my opinion. I would think you could find a buyer in Colorado as the RV market is hot right now and there are buyers for solid older coaches that are in decent shape.
Hope that helps!

with 325 Cummins & Spartan chassis
completelymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:47 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

It's a quality coach of its era and would be in high demand if the price is right. The need for TLC plus the rather skinny single slide will limit prospective buyers but those who are interested in that age range and type will adore a chance to get an American Dream.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:47 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Add ball joints to my laundry list above....

But again, none of that would keep me from it, nothing to be scared about. ....if the new owner can perform the work.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:48 PM   #11

Quote:

Probably some interest here. I actually came on tonight searching specifically for any threads about a 1999 American Dream, since I became inspired by one of these rigs that sold before I could consider any action. It was a stellar condition, multi-upgrade and open-checkbook maintenance version.

Your title was "1998" not 1999, but it decided to have a look, even though I think 1999 may have been the first year for IFS Spartan (I'd like to get the IFS).

Any updates on whether or not this coach will hit the market? If it's heading that direction, I'd like to study this unit. Feel free to PM. Thanks.
zippinbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:33 AM   #12

zippinbye
The serial number plate shows a manufacture date of 4/99.
It has a Spartan chassis but I haven't checked to see if it has IFS or not.
More info to follow later today or tomorrow.
Jim
Old 09-08-2020, 08:57 PM   #13

Quote:
zippinbye
The serial number plate shows a manufacture date of 4/99.
It has a Spartan chassis but I haven't checked to see if it has IFS or not.
More info to follow later today or tomorrow.
Jim
Thanks. Have been waiting for your follow-up. Any new information about the coach?
zippinbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:29 AM   #14

Both the 98 and the 99 Dreams on Spartan Mountain Master Chassis should have IFS.

The 97's were the last of the Eagles and Dreams with a solid front axle with the Spartan Chassis.