Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2016, 06:53 AM   #1

1998 American Eagle Ball Joints

I have a 1998 American Eagle 40 ft that needs ball joinys. Bad news they don't make these any longer. Any ideas???
goldenarches is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2016, 07:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenarches View Post
I have a 1998 American Eagle 40 ft that needs ball joinys. Bad news they don't make these any longer. Any ideas???
goldenarches
Where did you hear that "they don't make these any longer"?
RV suspension/chassis parts are ordinary truck parts.
Methinks any service shop that does heavy duty truck spring and suspension work will have a source any part you need.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:44 AM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
That is news as I had mine replaced last year without issue at Josams in Orlando. Now it does take special tools so many places won't/cannot do them. Being a Spartan chassis I contacted to Spartan authorized truck shops and both said they would not do that job because of the tools that they did not have.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #4

Parts are still available. Where are you located? You'll need to find a big enough truck/bus shop that can or willing to do it. It's not a horrible job but is time consuming.

Look at all the other ft end parts as well, tie rods, shocks etc....they all went the same places.....

Here's a service manual on what your coach front suspension maybe....

http://www.spartanchassis.com/cps/lo...3404218750.PDF
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:22 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Agree with the others. If you can't get info elsewhere, Spartan Chassis can probably help. You have a Spartan Mountain Master chassis.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:28 PM   #6

I called Reyco Grannis Suspensions & they told me this. Thanks for sharing the encouraging info. Super news!!
Old 08-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacamp View Post
That is news as I had mine replaced last year without issue at Josams in Orlando. Now it does take special tools so many places won't/cannot do them. Being a Spartan chassis I contacted to Spartan authorized truck shops and both said they would not do that job because of the tools that they did not have.
So true after hearing they can be replaced I am searching for a place to get mine replaced. Live in SC so still looking. If lived closer to Fl would contact the place you mentioned. Will put them down for future reference. Thx
Old 08-04-2016, 02:42 PM   #8

Thanks for all the info! We have a couple large truck repair places here in SC but haven't found one that has or is willing to tackle this. You are so right about other parts being worn. Probably air bags too. Will make a list of parts needing to be checked. Manuel will be a super reference. If I was younger would trade. Had this coach since 99 & have kept it up. Now a little play in steering so know it needs some work.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:29 PM   #9

The Cummins dist. in Columbia is a Spartan chassis service dealer. I've bought parts there once and seems like knowledgeable people. Also a Google search of tractor/trailer spring & frame shops may turn up a shop. A lot of big truck frame repair shop do front end repair.

Cummins Atlantic, Inc.

2791 Shop Road Extension
Columbia, SC 29209
Phone: (803) 799-2410
Fax: (803) 779-3427
Email: thomas.d.beery@cummins.com
Old 08-04-2016, 07:41 PM   #10

Air Bags? Been there, done that.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f25/air-b...nt-291945.html
Old 08-05-2016, 04:51 PM   #11

You are very helpful with all the ingo. Thanks so much. Do you think my 98 has same air bags as 99? Will call Spartan to ask them. I've used Cummins in Columbia for air compressor problems & had a bad experience. Had an air leak causing coach to lose air & they couldn't figure out the problem. Issues can happen anywhere I know. Getting parts from them would work. Thanks!!
Old 08-06-2016, 04:47 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe Granning doesn't make them but there is an aftermarket source? Seems hard to believe that suspension & steering parts aren't available for a 18 year old chassis - old trucks run forever.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:26 PM   #13
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Call American Coach.

Call Spartan

Find out what axle is under the front and get a parts list for that axle.

My front axle is in three different areas (the carrier, the suspension, and the axle)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote