Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2015, 02:04 PM   #1

1998 Bounder front end separating

Hello, I have a 1998 Bounder 36s bought on Ebay last August. ( long story )
The problem I'm trying to fix now is the front body is separated and dropped,
causing a gap at the bottom of the windshield. There are 5 mounts in the engine
compartment , 2 attached to the frame, 2 attached to the dash plywood and 1 to the
Wiper motor mount.
My question is what adhesive can I use to reattach them?
Thank you
Toold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 07:28 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Was it originally held in place with adhesive? It sounds like your talking about the front fiberglass cap. I'd think the best thing would be to remove the front cap, investigate where it's support failed, and rebuild it with proper bracing and struts bolted to the frame. Using adhesive to hold the front end of an RV on would make me hold my breath at every pothole or bump. If the sidewalls are sagging, they have lost their fastenings to the floor and cross members. Again, adhesive would not be my strategy for a safe repair of a vehicle I'd want me or my loved ones riding in.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:05 PM   #3

The five mounts were glued to the fiberglass. It's a green color.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can go with fiberglass or epoxy. Epoxy is not quite as messy. Make sure you use the fiberglas material that comes with the epoxy kit. Also make sure you get the braces back in the same position as they were.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is not uncommon. Of course do not reinstall the windshields until the cap is back in place. Also when the windshields are reset have them eurethane the seals in place.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:20 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
One other thing I should add. The front cap is held on with the screws across the roof and the screws down each side. The brackets you are referring to are more to keep the front cap from vibrating and being pushed back by the wind pressure ,than to hold it on. That is why they were glued on.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #7

Thank you GA, winshield removal is no an option, lack of funds,
it looks like the body has pulled down and away at the bottom
of the winshield gasket. The winshield has been looked at by
a installer.
I'm thinking that reattaching the mounts would pull it back together.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:07 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe without seeing it, I'm having a hard time envisioning the problem but I would think to reattach the mounts, the cap would have to be removed first. As was stated, the cap is held on by the screws at the top and down the sides. If it was sagging, I would look for possible water damage at these attachment points. I'm not sure how you would gain access to the mounts you speak of without removing the cap let alone get the points to line up while the cap is still sagging.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:35 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
If you're needing to re-attach the bracing that goes from the fiberglass cap to the body anchor points, you'll need to use fiberglass resin or epoxy resin, fiberglass cloth and matting. Doing this with the cap in place is going to be difficult job. As mojoracing said, if the bracing has broken and the cap is sagging, it points to more structural damage than just the anchor points.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #10

Here are some pictures.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #11

Pic

I'm having a hard time posting pictures, I've tried. 2 tables, phones and computer and it won't post. The issue appears to be bottom only. Checking the screws means removing the caps covering the strips requires drilling out the rivets and windshield removal.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:35 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know if these people that are advising you to remove the front cap have ever removed one or not. I have replaced a front cap. #1 IT aint a picnic. #2 as I said before These brackets are more of a anti-flex bracket than a support bracket #3 If your cap is sagging, there is going to be cracked fiberglass around the screw holes on both sides and at the top. I believe your windshield problem is caused by the cap pushing back at 70 mph. Put your hand out the window at 70. Then multiply the pressure of your hand by the size of the front cap. That gives you an idea of the amount of load you are getting at higher speeds.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ga traveler, I have never removed a cap but have seen it done and your right, it looks like a real PITA. Thats why I brought up the issue of a structural problem. I would find out first why it is sagging. Most likely you would have to remove the caps that cover the screws and rivets and see whats going on before just tearing into it and removing the cap. If the cap has moved downward, there is a big reason for it and reattaching the braces most likely isn't going to solve it.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:52 AM   #14

Start a new post. Click on the advanced button. Look across the top at the icons. Find the paperclip. Click on the down arrow. You will see browse buttons on 4 lines. One at a time click on a browse button and search out your photo to post located on your computer. If you have 4 photos, click browse and repeat the steps above for each photo. Now click on the upload button. Your photos will be copied to this site. Now, returning to where you type the post, place your cursor by clicking that spot on the page. Return to the top where the paperclip is located. Click the down arrow. You will see the uploaded photos as a list. Select one only and it will be inserted where you left the cursor on the page. You can relocate the cursor and insert all of your uploaded photos on one post. After you do this people here can help. Nobody can really help, in my opinion, unless they see the problem.

Too complicated? Do one photo per post. Take your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toold View Post
I'm having a hard time posting pictures, I've tried. 2 tables, phones and computer and it won't post. The issue appears to be bottom only. Checking the screws means removing the caps covering the strips requires drilling out the rivets and windshield removal.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder