Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
1998 Discovery 36T Water Problem

After flushing the pink stuff out of the system, cannot get but a dribble of water from the galley faucet, hot or cold, makes no difference. The drinking water fountain works just fine however.
Also neither the hot or cold works in the bath lavatory. The shower and stool work as they should.
This is with the water pump on and working.
If street/hose water is applied, the shutoff valve turned to street, water pours from the fresh water overflow
The faucets work the same as above. [Everything worked fine prior to winterizing the system.]
Take note I do not have the MH near me as I am in process of buying it and neither me nor the prior owner can solve this problem. Can you?
I'm in phone contact with him and will take possession weekend after next.
HELP!

BTW-am selling the Newmar in my signature line.
Greg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2015, 04:40 PM   #2

Sounds like several problems here. First off remove and clean the small aerator screen that is on the faucet where the water should come out. I'm thinking maybe something is clogging it. It should just unscrew.

Now for the second problem where water flows from the overflow.

What happens when you turn the valve to tank while connected to city water? Does both positions cause the water to flow out of the overflow? My first guess is the valve handle is in the wrong position. If both positions cause the water to flow out of the overflow, then I would be looking at the water pump's one way valve. It may be contaminated with sand or something like that.

First picture is of a standard faucet aerator. The second picture is a diagram I made for a 1997 Fleetwood Discovery I once owned. You can see how important the one way valve in the pump is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	faucet.JPG
Views:	667
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	91169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Diagram.jpg
Views:	1649
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	91170  

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Sounds like several problems here. First off remove and clean the small aerator screen that is on the faucet where the water should come out. I'm thinking maybe something is clogging it. It should just unscrew.

Now for the second problem where water flows from the overflow.
What happens when you turn the valve to tank while connected to city water? Does both positions cause the water to flow out of the overflow? My first guess is the valve handle is in the wrong position. If both positions cause the water to flow out of the overflow, then I would be looking at the water pump's one way valve. It may be contaminated with sand or something like that. .
re clogged screen; I thought of that, but it was on tight and just didn't take time to get pliers to remove it, however it does not act like a clogged screen. In any event a clogged screen in the galley faucet would not affect no water in the bath fixture. Will remove and check anyway. [The stool and shower work fine as does the water dispenser and ice maker.]
Second---With the valve turned to tank the tank fills [might be full, but does not come out the overflow.] The other position is where it flows out the overflow.
Looking at your diagram, I called the owner and suggested opening the drain valves with city water hooked up and also on the water pump. Pressure or lack of pressure out of the drain tubes should indicate which direction to look for the problem.
FWIW the owner said it worked as it should last fall before winterizing. Probably something simple, but right now
Thanks for the help.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:39 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I might have discovered the problem. A bad check valve in the water pump. reference- http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/city...ank-79588.html
Will not know until owner checks and replies.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:46 AM   #5

I agree with the check valve (I called it a water pump's one way valve in my first reply). But that would not account for you having good water flow in everything but the kitchen and bath faucet. I think both the kitchen and bath faucets have aerators. They probably also have a water flow restrictor (round disk with a small hole in the center usually located in the aerator part) in them that can clog.

Couple of more questions that just popped into my mind:

What about the "outdoor shower or hand washing faucet that is in the wet bay, is it working with good water flow? Also make sure that faucet hot/cold valves are turned off. If left on they can really confuse the water pressure/temperature problems.

Is the water heater bypass valve in the correct setting or position? Best I can remember it is a hard to see and easy to forget valve under the bedroom closet.

Quote:
Second---With the valve turned to tank the tank fills [might be full, but does not come out the overflow.] The other position is where it flows out the overflow.
This statement perplexing and the reason I'm wondering if the valve is set in the wrong position. When water enters the tank and the tank is full, excess water must exit by the gravity fill port. There isn't any direct connection from the city water fill and the vent/overfill/gravity pipe. When you indicated the water came out the overflow, what you are calling the overflow? Is this the the same as the gravity water fill opening? If it is, that tube is directly connected to the top of the water tanks (yes I believe there two water tanks side by side hooked together). I'm still wondering if the valve is miss labeled or just in the wrong position. I've got concerns the "overflow" you are referring may be a loose pipe and not a true overflow.

One more thing before I go, my 1997 Discovery was lost to a fire, but I still have many pictures of the inner workings if you are interested. I just about fixed or repaired anything that was on that coach. It was a good one, and we enjoyed her a lot. I think the 98 is essentially the same as the 97 was.

Keep us posted as to what you find and fix.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:05 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bigd9, sorry you lost you MH, hope no one was injured. I was in a class C when a LP fire happened, was burned on hands but otherwise ok. Could have been much worse.

Anyhoo....after reading and rereading you posts, and my reply, I highly suspect fine grit, sand or other foreign objects are causing this problem. Because the owner has the MH at his home and 1]is using well water, and 2] not using a filter just prior to the coach fill outlet. I'll have him check the faucets as you have suggested.
The overflow mentioned is indeed coming from the fresh water fill, quicker if the cap is removed.
I do not know about the outside faucet as the owner stated both handles turn but do not do anything-water will flow from the shower hose controlled only by the lever on the head.
If grit from the well is indeed the problem I am glad we have not operated the washer/drier [just to verify it working].
I'll contact the owner and he will check it out in the next few days.
AND I will report back as to what was found to be the problem.
As to your pictures of the inner workings, I very well be interested. We plan on having this coach for a long while, and things do need work from time to time. I repair what I can-hate to trust hourly wage earners to exhibit the same level of care that I use on my own items.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:53 AM   #7

Ok, just kind of let me know what you need.

We believe the fire started near the refrigerator/transfer switching area. Coach was fully loaded and we were just loading last minute things for a snow ski trip when we saw the fire. No one was injured and we lost part of a large shed, some trees and hedge. She was a great coach and and we enjoyed her a great deal. Now we have a 06 Discovery and getting ready to head out for 3 months across the country. The only place we have to be is in San Francisco on July 4th to pick up my granddaughter and her parents. We plan to tour the area ending up in LA 1 week later for them to fly home!

BTW, there is another great group just for Fleetwood Discoveries. Once you get your coach look them up. Lots of owners with your year Discoveries on it. Here is the link:
DOAI MAIN PAGE

Picture of coach was taken 13 minutes after some smoke was first noticed and just as the fire department arrived. As you know first hand, when they go, they go fast!
Other picture is of a happier time with her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BigD Fire (28) 1024 x 768.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	91239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ski Caanan 2005 045 800x600.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	91240  

Old 04-20-2015, 11:50 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, this chapter came to a close with a phone call today. The owner called and said cleaning the faucet aerators fixed the water problem.
Should take delivery the end of this week. Can hardly wait.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:56 AM   #9

Good news, and have fun in a good coach.

Tags
water