RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2019, 11:01 PM   #1

1998 Discovery cranking battery issue

Last April my cranking batteries were dead each morning while boondocking. I replaced batteries and problem persists. I was unable to locate any problem or draw. Now back home while working on the issue I disconnected the two cranking batteries. A couple weeks past and I had to move the coach. Forgetting the cranking batteries were disconnected I started the coach. How is this possible? This leaves me thinking a relay somewhere is stuck open or maybe the combo battery switch is stuck on. It doesn't seem stuck. Maybe this is why the cranking batteries die overnight.
Any ideas??? Getting frustrated trying to locate the defective relay ...
Jameskknauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2019, 11:42 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 .

Sorry your first post is about problems .

First could you add some info about your coach ; Chassis manufacturer? Engine ?

Questions.

During the time at home was the coach plugged in ?
When boon docking , was it JUST the chassis batteries that were dead ?

JMHO: If the battery banks were inter-connected; allowing the coach batteries to start the coach ; even with the chassis batteries disconnected. Then any draw that would kill the chassis batteries would kill the coach battery while boon docking.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:21 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While I agree with your initial diagnosis, I'm no expert. Your inverter/charger would indeed have a relay for charging purposes, and I suspect the dead battery issue would probably be traced to it.

When you say "combo battery switch" I presume you mean the AUX. Again, perhaps part of the problem is someone screwed up the wiring there as well.

There are several extremely knowledgeable folks on the Discovery Owners Assoc. (DOAI) eGroup who could offer in-depth insight on your issue. Some of the most knowledgeable also have 1990s Discoveries. It would be well worth your while to join that club and post your questions there.
Home base now in Kerrville TX
Al n Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:31 PM   #4

My coach has a starting boost switch.
Basically a switch that activates a solenoid that combines the starting battery and house batteries (in the event that my starting battery is weak).
If you have such a switch, your solenoid could be stuck in closed position. If that is the case, you may be able yo locate it and then tap it with something.
I remember doing that ages ago to my Ford vehicles as they had the started solenoid mounted separately from the started, on the wall of the engine compartment.
OldBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:40 PM   #5

As mentioned, look for a large relay with battery size cables on it.

Its there to combine the batteries for jump starting.

If the boost switch is always on, and its powered by the chassis battery, that could be your issue. Find and feel the big solenoid with shore power off. If its warm, its on.

The PO may have replaced the push button switch with a toggle switch. Look for it.

The inverter/charger has nothing to do with it, except that's what charges the house batteries.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, battery, discovery