Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2015, 06:42 PM   #1

1998 Fleetwood Southwing 32V HELP PLEASE

As I was doing routine maintenance I removed the heater core inlet and outlet heater hoses located (under the hood )upper left firewall. Decided to replace aged hoses..as I removed the other end of hoses I lost track of which hose connected to the heater core inlet and outlet. I know that the hose from the radiator nipple goes to the out or return connection at the heater core and that the hose from the thermostat goes to the inlet side of the heater core. problem is that they are not marked as such at the firewall. Please help me identify which heater core connection is Inlet and Outlet. It does make a difference and may cause damage if not connected properly according to service manual..Thanks Oran
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04904.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	102922  
oran42348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 11:13 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm not sure switching the hoses will make any difference, and certainly no damage. Water will flow either way. It might make a difference in the flow through the shut off valve at the heater core, but not positive on that. On vehicles with the connections vertical, the inlet pipe is often the bottom one, outlet the top one. I'd hook it up on best guess and idle till hot, monitoring temperatures in the heater core and engine. Shut off, cool down, and switch the hoses, see which works best.

Also hoping kicking this topic back into the queue will get someone with a like RV to go out and look at theirs for you!!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The pipe on the inside, next to the blower connects to the standpipe on the right rear of the engine. As you look down at the engine, the pipe goes into the V10 looks like it is misaligned. it covers half of a hole.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:08 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Both engine pipes are on the right side. The correct one is the one that is much higher that the other.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:13 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
If the service manual says to NOT reverse the flow, there is a reason. I would not disregard their advice. I made a good living repairing coaches where people ignored manufacturers advice.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
The pipe on the inside, next to the blower connects to the standpipe on the right rear of the engine. As you look down at the engine, the pipe goes into the V10 looks like it is misaligned. it covers half of a hole.
this is what I need to know: however I have a 454 chevy and the connections on the engine are at the radiator which is supposed to be the for the outlet connection...and a nipple in the thermostst housing which is for the inlet connection. reversing decreases cooling the transmission during start up until the thermostat opens according to the service manual. No mention of specific other than inlet and outlet. I suppose some are higher lower some are parallel with each other like mine is in the picture
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	60
ID:	103027  
Old 08-12-2015, 01:23 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oran42348 View Post
this is what I need to know: however I have a 454 chevy and the connections on the engine are at the radiator which is supposed to be the for the outlet connection...and a nipple in the thermostst housing which is for the inlet connection. reversing decreases cooling the transmission during start up until the thermostat opens according to the service manual. No mention of specific other than inlet and outlet. I suppose some are higher lower some are parallel with each other like mine is in the picture
It was posted on the Ford forum, so I assumed it was a F-53.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Would this be the thermostat connection perhaps? if so that would be the inlet connection and would go to my hose next to the blower. thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	67
ID:	103030  
Old 08-12-2015, 02:24 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
I've found this thread in the Fleetwood Products forum, but perhaps it's been changed. Many manufacturers use different sized hoses to prevent this kind of confusion, or mark the inlet and outlet. Obviously neither was done here. You could call around to various Workhorse shops or connect a hose directly in a loop, bypassing the heater core completely so you can drive to a shop that can help you.

Perhaps if you can see the actual heater core it might be marked. Just like battery cables, wiring, and plumbing issues, this is a lesson to always take photos or label things that could be confused on reassembly.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:39 PM   #10

Thanks all ...issue resolved!...the inlet is on the left and outlet on the right. I was able to determine that the radiator hose connected to the right core connection by the knife marking on outlet nipple when I split the end for removal. the other was obviously the inlet from the thermostst..THANKS AGAIN
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	47
ID:	103045  

Tags
fleetwood