Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2013, 03:59 AM   #1

1999 American Dream - Where is the water pump relay?

Can someone tell me where the water pump relay is located?
It is Saturday morning, tech support have gone home for the weekend, and now the water pump switches stop working. How do they know?
None of the four water pump switches will turn on the relay (red status light). The 15 amp fuse under the bed is good.
I am trying to read the electrical drawings in the downloaded owner manual, but the scan resolution is very poor.
Any help would be appreciated.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2013, 04:42 AM   #2

In my 2004 Bounder the latching relay for the multiple water pump switches is behind the circuit breaker panel in the same enclosure as the air conditioning delay relay and the gen/shore transfer switch. I also mounted my progressive industries power monitor in the same enclosure. My rig has a television cabinet adjacent to this enclosure with an access panel to the area behind the circuit breaker panel which made access to the various modules back there easier than pulling the circuit breaker panel out far enough to work around it.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:49 AM   #3

It's like an easter egg hunt isn't it? While I don't know the exact location on your coach I can tell you odd places that I have found them on others. In the bay containing the water pump behind a removable panel. Back inside a false panel underneath the kitchenette. Back inside a false panel next to the refrigerator. If all else fails you can wire 12VDC direct to the water pump itself temporarily until you locate the controller and or determine that the controller is indeed the problem - will get you out of a bind if you're on the road currently.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #4

Your American Dream is not a Bounder.

Join this group and you will have a better chance of someone giving you the correct advice:

Yahoo Groups
Old 11-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #5

I see several others have also stepped into the Bounder trap on the new thread screen. When you drop down the RV Type list box, the only choice is Bounder. As you try to scroll down for more choices, you inadvertently choose Bounder.

Yes, it is an Easter egg hunt. Perfect analogy. After thinking positive thoughts and wishfully pressing the water pump buttons many times, I finally braved the Kentucky cold and removed the water pump cover in the water compartment. There is a brown box on the left wall of the compartment labeled:

Intellitec
MPX low side 7 amp latching controller
Lugs: +12, Gnd, SW, Load

Because of the wiring harnesses, I can't confirm that the pump is attached to it, but it looks promising.
Does "low side" imply that load connects to Gnd instead of +12?
Thanks for your feedback. After thawing my hands over breakfast, I will give it a try.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #6

Yes, that's it you've found it. Here's a diagram: http://www.flemingsalesoem.com/intel...5322033100.pdf
Old 11-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #7

Thank you! Your document tells me exactly what I needed to know.

But not so fast. I went out to test voltages on the controller. Turns out the manufacturer installed two other items after the controller; a large wiring harness and water plumbing. Neither can be easily moved out of the way. I have only been able to pull off the first (+12v) lug to determine that the module is in fact getting power. One of the mounting screws is accessible, the other is not. It will have to wait till we get to a warmer state (maybe tomorrow). Why did I think I could pull one module out of a socket and insert a replacement?
Old 11-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #8

Hehehe.. yea, the cold weather certainly prevents the fingers from performing very well and plays havoc on your give-a-$h1t-ometer :-)
Old 11-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #9

As it turns out, upper management had an issue with the 'tomorrow' plan.
A 5/16 socket (short, not long, 1/4" drive, not 3/8") plus a small hand/arm and about an hour of effort later, the Intellitec box, though not removed, will at least swivel enough to pull off the Gnd and Load lugs and short them with an alligator clip and some tape. Its cold out there, but at least the furnace kicked in to provide some heat and carbon monoxide.

If I need to turn off the pump for some reason, I can pull the fuse under the bed.

Now 'everybody' is happy, and we thank you for your help.

On the road again....
Old 11-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
As it turns out, upper management had an issue with the 'tomorrow' plan.
Haha!
Old 11-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
I see several others have also stepped into the Bounder trap on the new thread screen. When you drop down the RV Type list box, the only choice is Bounder. As you try to scroll down for more choices, you inadvertently choose Bounder.
Fixed that for ya.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:53 AM   #12

It's very apparent that you have not found the small monkey that came with your coach. He's the only chance in hell you have of removing that controller . Had to replace mine with a 10 amp to run a bigger pump. Left the 7 amp where it was and re-mounted the new one.
devans47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans47 View Post
It's very apparent that you have not found the small monkey that came with your coach. He's the only chance in hell you have of removing that controller . Had to replace mine with a 10 amp to run a bigger pump. Left the 7 amp where it was and re-mounted the new one.
The pump looks fairly new. Can't quite make out the model number or current draw on the label, but I am wondering if the new pump may draw more than 7 amps and caused the circuit driver to eventually fail.

Haven't found the monkey yet, but I suspect he may be fooling around in here somewhere. Last night the jacks would not work for the first time. Realized I don't know where the reservoir dip stick is. So much to learn, so much fun doing it.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #14

Ive found my trusty iphone can help the monkey out. When working on the water pump I put a light thru the access panel then stick my phone (camera) in and take lots of pics. While typing this I had a vision. If you have 2 phones with facetime capabilities . You can put one in and watch with the other. Live TV. I actually moved my pump to the front of the panel . I had installed Shurflo 5.7 pump that required a 10 amp latching controller. After replacing the 2nd or 3rd under warranty, I got it out of the monkey hole. Finally gave up and switched to 4008 and had no more problems.
devans47 is offline   Reply With Quote