Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2017, 06:58 PM   #1

1999 Bounder, Power Gear Leveling Jacks Reservoir

I'm certain this has been answered before but a search of this forum and Google only helped so much.

I have a '99 Bounder 36S with Power Gear leveling jacks. Jacks down light is on, I need to add fluid to the reservoir. I searched all over for it and then located a post that said it was behind a panel behind the coach batteries. So I took the panel off and the attached photo is what I see. I don't see any obvious place to put fluid. Is this the leveling jacks pump and what should I be looking for?

Thanks,
Toni
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170410_203727.jpg
Views:	977
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	157881  
toniintc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2017, 07:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toniintc View Post
I'm certain this has been answered before but a search of this forum and Google only helped so much.

I have a '99 Bounder 36S with Power Gear leveling jacks. Jacks down light is on, I need to add fluid to the reservoir. I searched all over for it and then located a post that said it was behind a panel behind the coach batteries. So I took the panel off and the attached photo is what I see. I don't see any obvious place to put fluid. Is this the leveling jacks pump and what should I be looking for?

Thanks,
Toni
Toni,
We used to have a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V. Yes, you've found the right place for the Power Gear system. Now, since it's been over 6-7 years since we had that coach, I have to clear some cob webs from this old brain of mine to try and remember where the fill cap is.
Now, based on your picture, it appears that there possibly is a "Cap" at the very bottom of the picture, that will lead to the oil in the tank/reservoir. I'm not sure but, I think that may be it. I'd have to see a better picture, with that part I'm describing, at a more close look.
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:10 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The fill plug is above tbe red wire, left side. I think I can just see your at the bottom center of your picture.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	938
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	157884  
Old 04-10-2017, 08:25 PM   #4

OK, I see it, different photo - I've circled it. I guess I was thinking I was looking for something that looked like a reservoir with a level check. I'll have a look at this again tomorrow. THANK YOU BOTH!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170410_203704.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	157886  
Old 04-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #5

Actually, when you pull that plug (be sure to wipe it down before doing so) there will most likely be a dip stick attached to it. When you say "jacks down" I'm thinking the jacks are not down at all, there's just that indication. Right? I have a tube and funnel that allows me to top the thing off when needed. My 1996 Discovery needs a top off a couple time a year. (Along with my own personal "top off.") Then we're good to go.
Volunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:51 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here what the manual on mine says

"PREVENTATIVEMAINTENANCE
1. Change fluid every 36 months.
2. Check fluid level every month. Fluid should be within 1/4 inch of the fill port lip and checked only with all jacks retracted.
3. Inspect and clean all hydraulic pump electrical connections every 12 months.
4. Remove dirt and road debris from jacks as needed.
5. If jacks are down for extended periods, it is recommended to clean exposed chrome rods with a silicone lubricant every seven days for protection.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #7

Yes, the jacks weren't down at all, just the indicator and annoying beeper that made me want to throw things.

I took the plug off and filled it up, problem resolved. I appreciate all the comments and help!

Toni
Old 08-15-2017, 10:19 AM   #8

Sorry to drudge up an old post but I'm wondering if you can post a further back photo showing this location? My reservoir seems to be in the passenger side wheel well and I can't figure out how to access any of those solenoids. My front jacks will not go down and I've test the control board and everything is working as it should.
dwvaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:37 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had mine in and out, repaired jacks, replaced bearings in pumps, etc.

You should be able to remove the solenoid coils fairly easily and switch them around to see if its an electrical problem (i.e. the coil isn't energizing) , or a mechanical problem (i.e. the coil energizes, but the valve doesn't open).

Here are four links that have gobs of photos:

Flushing the hydraulic tank:

Flush and refill Leveler hydraulic system – 1999 Southwind 35S

Rebuilding a jack:

Power Gear 500384 hydraulic jack teardown – 1999 Southwind 35S

and

Power Gear 500384 hydraulic jack re-assembly – 1999 Southwind 35S

And replacing a bearing in the pump:

Leveler pump sounds like a food blender full of marbles – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwvaughn View Post
Sorry to drudge up an old post but I'm wondering if you can post a further back photo showing this location? My reservoir seems to be in the passenger side wheel well and I can't figure out how to access any of those solenoids. My front jacks will not go down and I've test the control board and everything is working as it should.
Sorry no, mine is on the driver side behind the battery compartment.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #11

Waiter21, thank you for the photos they were very helpful. I was able to confirm that mine is located directly in front of the passenger side tire and is only accessible from underneath. At first I thought it was blocked in by a solid plate but upon further inspection I realized the plate was screwed in, now I just need to figure out the best source for the solenoid/valve.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:49 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
now I just need to figure out the best source for the solenoid/valve.
Were you able to troubleshoot to determine if it was a solenoid or a valve.? I assume you checked for blown fuse on controller.

The solenoids are easy to swap around, i.e. you have three of them that control the jacks; one for the front jacks, one for the left rear and one for the right rear.

The solenoids have what looks like a knob holding them on, just remove this knob and the solenoid will slide off of the valve plunger. Careful, don't lose the o-ring thats on the knob, its there to act as a kind of lock washer to hold the knob on.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:03 PM   #13

I confirmed at lunch that it was the solenoid. Mine had a nut instead of a knob however but the process was the same. Swapped one of the rear solenoids onto the front valve and away she went. I already ordered replacement solenoids from Livingston & Haven but they were a little looser than I would like. I'm going to try one of those when I get home tonight and hopefully that solves the problem.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:45 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I confirmed at lunch that it was the solenoid.
Life is good...

Tags
bounder, jacks, leveling, leveling jacks, leveling jacks reservoir, power, power gear