Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2020, 02:09 PM   #1

1999 Discovery Door Air Leak

We just purchased a 1999 Discovery 37V, our first motorhome. It runs and drives great, but has a very annoying air leak around the entry door. I have read this is a fairly common issue when the front awning arm is mounted ahead of the door. I assume this creates turbulence that causes the noise/leak.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so what is the easiest fix for it?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201108_144701874.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	307878  
Roamer37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2020, 03:52 PM   #2

Easy fix was to insert a large pool noodle between the arm and the side of the coach. Just make sure it is attached securely.

My 1997 Discovery was a test coach for Fleetwood trying to stop the noise. They would send me items to try and I would tell them how they worked. Problem was, none of them worked! Then I tried the Pool Noodle and presto.

Lots of people move the arm so it is behind the door.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 03:59 PM   #3

Also, on our 1997 Discovery, the door would gap open a tad at the top. Fleetwood tried several things to bend the door, and ended up using a piece of steel screwed into the door edge. They bent the door by hand and then fastened the steel strap so the door would stay bent like they wanted it to.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:40 PM   #4

1997 Discovery

On my '98 Discovery, I moved the entire awning back 4 feet. To where it is now behind the entry door. Much more quiet. Use at least two people, much easier. Disconnect all mounts and just move to the rear, reposition the center mount.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:12 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome to discovery ownership. If you haven't already, i recommend you join discovery owner's association https://www.discoveryowners.com/home.html . They have a very active forum with a wealth of experience at maintaining discoverys.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #6

Thanks guys. I have seen the pool noodle fix. It seems to work. I also read about using 2" wide 3M tape all the way down the door gap on the hinge side. Has anyone tried that??
Old 11-14-2020, 09:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
Welcome to discovery ownership. If you haven't already, i recommend you join discovery owner's association https://www.discoveryowners.com/home.html . They have a very active forum with a wealth of experience at maintaining discoverys.
I just joined. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2020, 11:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer37 View Post
Thanks guys. I have seen the pool noodle fix. It seems to work. I also read about using 2" wide 3M tape all the way down the door gap on the hinge side. Has anyone tried that??

Yes, that was one of Fleetwoods attempts to fix the noise. I did not see any reduction in noise.

Another fix we tried was to put Duct Tape on the inside of the awning arms to block off the gaps where the arms fold into each other. That worked, but a PIA to remove everytime we wanted to put the awning out. That was when we tried the pool noodle idea.
Old 11-15-2020, 05:11 PM   #9

Had this issue on our 98 American Eagle....finally solved it by installing automotive weather stripping from Home Depot.

It is rated for 140 degrees F or so, completely sealed our door at the top of the door where our leak originated from.

Reduced our MPG as the door noise was working as a speed governor (once I hit 65 the door would begin to whine).
Old 11-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Entry door gap at top

We have a 2017 Fleetwood jamboree class C and it had a very noisy wide gap at the top of the entry door. The Fleetwood factory in Decatur Indiana, found it there was a slight crack at the edge of the door next to the door lock which allowed the door to bend outward at the top. They wanted over $1500 just for a new door not including labor. I came up with a $10 fix that solved this problem. At Ace hardware I bought a shiny brass barrel lock and installed it near the top of my door which completely seals the door now and no more air noise. It’s a little inconvenient when getting out of the RV because you have to first exit through the driver or passenger door. But it’s only used when we get ready to head down the road so it’s not that big a deal. See the attached picture for the detail. .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E51D1333-8D08-490A-8440-BD12C509818C.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	309083   Click image for larger version

Name:	58C44A10-0452-4EE7-8EF4-020D59AABFA2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	309084  

satdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags