Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #1

1st time bounder owner-need help!

Hey all,
We just purchased a 1993 Fleetwood Bounder Chevy 454 31'. Has 50k on it and still very clean. We are first time camper owners so looking for a little know-how, help, advice, etc.

First off, we need new front sway bar bushings, any idea where I can purchase those?

Second, any recommendations for wax, polish, etc for this type of RV panel?

We would appreciate any other tips, info, anyone can give!!!

Lets go camping!!
BOUNDER45601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #2

Hello, and Welcome to iRV2.
Sway bar bushings should be available from NAPA,or Autozone, best if you could have the old bushing on hand to have them check dimensions when looking for the part.
Wax,you will get as many opinions,as there are types available. Condition of the surface to be waxed is the first consideration , are there vinal decals, make sure any wax you do try is compatable .
Check the date code on all the tires , before you travel , replace if over 7 years old.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Bounder and a big welcome to IRV2. I have the same exact Bounder as you do. As for waxing it I went the route of using a product that can be purchased at either Home Depot or Lowe's. It is a floor wax product called ZEP Wet Look. There are several threads on this process. The short story is you need to make sure your rig is clean. Clean because anything left will be sealed in. The suggestion is to apply 4 coats of the wax and you'll have a great looking finish. I was a bit apprehensive at first and I was afraid it would take me forever. My particular clean up process was somewhat long. I can PM you about that but the actual waxing didn't take more than 4 hours and probably a little less. By the time you get around the RV you can start all over. First coat doesn't appear to accomplish much but by the end of the 3rd coat your jaw will drop. I did the 4th because all I read about it suggested 4 coats. Darn thing looks new now. The first picture is when we bought it in Feb of this year. The finish on it was dull, it had a lot of black streaking on it and a lot of acid rain type spotting on it. The 2nd picture was after I did the process.

Yeah .... we love it. I also have some PDF files for different manuals if you're interested. I also have all the books that came with mine so if you need a copy of anything I'd be very happy to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	22931   Click image for larger version

Name:	23.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	22932  

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #4

Thanks guys, for the replies!! I will definitely look into the ZEP wax! Any special cleaners used for getting the RV clean? Or just regular car wash and elbow grease?

Also, LSC9901, do you have a lil on/off switch to the left as you walk in the bathroom? What is that for, if you do? We also have switches for the Water Pump in there.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
On mine the switch controls the lights over the mirror. We have the 31K model.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #6

Thanks LSC!

Im trying to think of any other questions....

What about the switches for the Auxillary Off, etc on the cabinet up high on the right as you walk in? How do those work?

Yes we have a manual, I have just been too busy at the Hospital to sit down and read them
Old 06-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Those two switches connect/disconnect the MH batteries. you have one 12 volt chassis battery that basically operates the same as your car. You should have two 6 volt batteries that are "House" batteries. These will operate all your lights if you are anywhere without electrical hook ups. Make sure the aux batteries are on when you are driving. They will get charged up that way. When my MH sits for any length of time I do shut the batteries off.

Another note that you may or may not know. Make sure your gas detector is on if you plan on using propane. If it isn't on none of the propane operated appliances will work. Just a safety factor. The detector is the one near the oven close to the floor.

Post some pictures sometime. We are considering swapping out the current bed for a set of twin beds. At home we are used to a very big bed so two of us in a 54" wide bed doesn't work real well. When we do it I'll document it with photo's.

Steve

Old 06-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #8

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You can also get the OEM bushings from any Chevy dealer- got mine for $24 each, took about an hour to install. Be careful the bar is very heavy and hurts if it falls on you! Don't ask how I know
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #9

thanks!!
The gas detectors, below the stove right? It beeps after your turn it on?

I will make sure the batteries are on while were on our way out.

Whats the rule for when you have the coach plugged in? Should batteries be on to charge? or does it work that way?

I will check with the Chevy Dealer on parts...

I will post pics after the weekend, going to try and get her shined up with the Red Max this week/weekend....

The previous owners did a swap from bunk beds to a queen bed, it doesnt look bad! But sounds like youd like to do the opposite
Old 07-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #10

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOUNDER45601
thanks!!
The gas detectors, below the stove right? It beeps after your turn it on?

I will make sure the batteries are on while were on our way out.

Whats the rule for when you have the coach plugged in? Should batteries be on to charge? or does it work that way?

I will check with the Chevy Dealer on parts...

I will post pics after the weekend, going to try and get her shined up with the Red Max this week/weekend....

The previous owners did a swap from bunk beds to a queen bed, it doesnt look bad! But sounds like youd like to do the opposite

The propane detector beeps when you first turn it on and then the beeping stops and a light just continues to flash every few seconds to tell you it's on. It can be on any wall near the stove- mine is across the hall on the exterior bathroom wall.

I only turn our batteries off when in storage. I have a battery maintainer installed- $19.00 from Walmart- easy to hook up.
The converter is supposed to charge the house batteries while plugged in and the maintainer I installed gets power from the outlet and float charges the engine battery.

I wouldn't want bunk beds or singles as I like to sleep with DW! looking forward to pictures.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I love sleeping with the DW also but..... the coach bed is 54" wide. Our S&B bed is almost 80" wide. We are both very used to the space we each have. While a twin isn't 80" it is almost half that and for the time we spend in the MH I can deal with being a foot away from her instead of fighting for room. I think both of our bodies have spread out a bit in the last 36 plus years. We need the room.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bounder45601 .. since we have the same unit I have a favor to ask of you. Could you lift your dash and look at the back side of your heater/AC controls and follow the pinkish wire (2nd from the right) and tell me where it plugs into the fuse box. Mine is out and I'd like to put it back but I'm not sure just where it goes. If need be I can take better pictures.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0702021404.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	23222   Click image for larger version

Name:	0702021405.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	23223  

Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
I have a 94 34J and I second the Floor wax, I was amazed at how great it shines now. I used TSP powder from Lowes and Bar Keepers cleaner to make sure that I got it really clean before. The first 2 coats look bad but by the third it pops, and the fifth is awesome! Good Luck and have fun in it, I am and Happy 4th everyone!
P.S My switch in the bathroom also controls the light over the mirror if it is turned on first. And the other one is for the water pump.

Leon
lpkirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkirby View Post
I have a 94 34J and I second the Floor wax, I was amazed at how great it shines now. I used TSP powder from Lowes and Bar Keepers cleaner to make sure that I got it really clean before. The first 2 coats look bad but by the third it pops, and the fifth is awesome! Good Luck and have fun in it, I am and Happy 4th everyone!
P.S My switch in the bathroom also controls the light over the mirror if it is turned on first. And the other one is for the water pump.

Leon
GO NAVY !!! 4 years was enough but it was a great time of my life. Thanks for your time. I used the Bar Keepers cleanser also. I was a bit nervous after I used it because it left fine scratches but it was clean. 4 coats and I was super shiny. I'll see what it looks like after a VT winter and maybe do another coat in the spring.

Tags
bounder