Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2017, 05:21 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
2-wire light switch to 4-wire dimmer switch

The LED reading lights above the bed are too bright for us so I found the dimmer switch on the original equipment manufacturer's web site and ordered two of them. When they arrived I noticed that they have 4 wires instead of two. On the "IN" side there is a red and a black wire and on the "Out" side, a red and a white. The instructions say:
Wiring Instructions:
Step 1: Locate both red wires – these are positive
Step 2: Connect the +IN Red Wire and the black wire to the power source
Step 3: Connect the +OUT Red wire and the white wire to the lights

This may be a dumb question, but here goes: Do they want me to connect the red and black from the "In" side to the existing "Hot" wire and the same thing (three wires together) on the "Out" side? I'm thinking, "Gee, if the 2 wires coming out of the dimmer switch go together, why don't they combine them internally and just have one coming out?"

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2017, 05:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
At a guess without seeing the actual instructions they expect you to break the power side of the circuit and run it thru the dimmer as it uses a resistor to drop the voltage to the light to dim it.
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Bounder1st View Post
At a guess without seeing the actual instructions they expect you to break the power side of the circuit and run it thru the dimmer as it uses a resistor to drop the voltage to the light to dim it.

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean as far as which wires should be connected to which.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You need to connect the positive wire, check with multi meter , as colour codes in RV's are random at best. The positive wire from the battery goes to the red of the in side of new dimmer. The same positive wire you cut or removed from original switch goes to red of the out side of new dimmer. The other wire , assuming there is another , will go in the same fashion to the dimmer. For example, if the other wire is a white, splice the white from the direction of the power source to the black. Then splice the white, again assuming it is a white, to the white of the out of the dimmer.
As far as I know, the only wire that actually is active in the switch is the wire attached to the red of the dimmer.
I wish I could attach a diagram but do not know how.
Terry
Old 08-01-2017, 07:48 PM   #5

Right now you have 2 wires going to the LED; a positive (+) wire (normally black) and a negative (-) wire (normally white).

When you cut these wires you will have 4 leads; a + and - for the source power, and a + and - for the load LED.

Your IN + (red) goes to the source + wire. The dimmer black wire goes to the - source lead.

Your OUT + (red) goes to the LED + wire and the dimmer white wire goes to the LED - wire.

In no case will 3 wires be connected together.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:03 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Tfryman, perfect description. Thanks a lot clearer than what I posted.
Terry
Old 08-01-2017, 09:10 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Right now you have 2 wires going to the LED; a positive (+) wire (normally black) and a negative (-) wire (normally white).

When you cut these wires you will have 4 leads; a + and - for the source power, and a + and - for the load LED.

Your IN + (red) goes to the source + wire. The dimmer black wire goes to the - source lead.

Your OUT + (red) goes to the LED + wire and the dimmer white wire goes to the LED - wire.

In no case will 3 wires be connected together.

Okay, that helps a lot. This means that my dimmer is going to have to be located near the LED and can't replace the original light switch since there is just one wire in and out of the switch but two going to the LED.

Thank you very much.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:58 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Dano59, try connecting the two wires at your switch to the red wires of the dimmer. The wire that comes from the power to the red of the in on the dimmer and the wire that goes to the light to The red of the dimmer switch that is the out.
If possible do not cut ends off just twist and tape for the experiment.
Also not all LED light are dimmable.
Best of luck.
Terry
Old 08-02-2017, 10:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Bounder1st View Post
Tfryman, perfect description. Thanks a lot clearer than what I posted.
Terry
Thanks, I was writing it the same time you were writing yours so I didn't see yours until after I posted mine. I thought they said the same thing; at least I understood what you were saying.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Your dimmer is a PWM type and needs to utilize both the hot & ground wires, where as the previous simple switch only had to open/close the hot wire.

It does NOT use a resister, as someone suggested earlier. If it was a resistance type dimmer, it would have only two wires (and it wouldn't work with Leds either). Leds are not dimmed by reducing the voltage - they just blink or go out completely if the voltage gets a little low.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:43 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Gary, I went and read up on PWM dimmers and have learned something new, again!
This forum is perhaps the best place to learn as there are so many people with such a diverse background. Thanks again Gary.
Terry
Old 08-05-2017, 09:44 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Happy to be of assistance!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:23 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just a word to the wise... Do not attempt to connect any of the input wires to the output wires. Many of the PWM LED dimmers common the positive and then modulate the negative side of the circuit. (And as an EE I have no idea why they designed it this way...) Don't consider connecting the two negative terminals to a single ground wire--it won't work.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all

Thanks for all the input. Regarding the statement that not all LEDs are dimmable, I asked the lighting manufacturer about this before buying the dimmers. They said that theirs were dimmable with their dimmers.

So, I mounted one close to each light following the very clear instructions provided by tfryman (hopefully I am able to attach a photo). They turned out pretty good. It involved taking up the bottom of the storage area directly above the lights so I could get to the wiring.

Thanks again to all of you!

Tags
light, switch