Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2019, 03:36 PM   #1

2000 Bounder frame collapsing

I am wondering if anyone has experienced what’s happening to my 2000 Bounder 36S on a Ford chassis. The equivalent of the “A” post on the passenger side is severely corroded from what I can see. As a result, the right side and right front window are moving about 5/8”up and down relative to the dash as the coach moves.
The tubing is 1.5-1.75” steel but really thin. I believe a leak in the top has run down inside this tube and caused the corrosion. It is sistered to a same sized tubing of the dash/ firewall but they appear to be separated. I believe this corner of the coach is only suspended from above.
Has anyone experienced and repaired successfully? I suspect repair isn’t possible. If so, how does one sell a coach that runs well but is no longer usable?
Thank you for any suggestions.
(My first post, hopefully the pictures uploaded)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	462BFA58-936E-4FBC-B1EC-C88CB7D17C15.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	263826   Click image for larger version

Name:	DBD65730-368B-457F-A61B-259823706D35.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	263827  

Click image for larger version

Name:	80225C81-D607-49CC-AD24-97694862B627.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	263828   Click image for larger version

Name:	D25AC758-8E54-4A84-AB1E-F69459B539B8.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	263829  

Dr Dega is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2019, 03:48 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unless you're willing to junk it out, I would take it to a good RV repair facility that can evaluate it and offer repair suggestions(if any). If you live near southern california, I can recommend one.

I find most things can be welded, hammered and bolted back into place. Experience from years offroad in the desert.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:22 PM   #3

Hard to tell exactly what the issue is from the pics, but my same 2000 Bounder required similar surgery. And yes, it can be fixed. Just takes some fabrication skills to do so. Beyond a casual DIY'r. You would need to clean the metal (wire wheel / sand blast), reposition the parts that are corroded, cut out the affected metal, make replacement tubes (probably 1" square or so), and MIG / TIG weld them together. Then clean the welds (wire wheel / right angle grinder) and prime / paint.

And certainly fix the leak.

Mine might have been more extensive damage and it took a full day of work. But well worth the effort because it radically change how the RV drove and sounded. A rewarding fix.

The amount of rust in the pics doesn't look too bad. Certainly this doesn't total the rig (unless there are lots of issues).

Hard to give more specifics over a forum. Requires hands on view to assess and repair.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:16 PM   #4

That's nothing. You can definitely have it repaired as the other guys have said. Agreed that I'd stop the leak first, then tackle the structure.
agpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:58 PM   #5

Thank you all for your input. I thought this was irreparable but with your encouragement I was able to make contact with someone who has done similar repairs, recommended by an local RV dealership.
Going for an assessment later this week. Big job to remove the front cap and he won’t be able to say for sure if he can fix it until he’s neck deep but I will find out if he thinks it’s worth proceeding.
Thank you all!
Dr Dega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 07:14 AM   #6

Hard to tell from the pictures of exactly what is wrong, but it would be very surprising to me that the front cap has to be removed at all. And yes, that's a big job. If you can take a picture of the joint, then a decent welder / fabricator should be able to get in there and fix it.

Tags
bounder, frame