Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2022, 08:20 PM   #1

2000 Bounder Generator Switch Question

New owner here. Why is the lightning bolt light on on the generator switch on my dash? Generator won't start. Thank you
New Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2022, 10:20 PM   #2

I don't understand the question.. but did you go back to generator compartment and try the start switch there? Have you had generator properly maintained .? How old are all the batteries..? Get back to us and better opinions will follow..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 09-01-2022, 11:06 PM   #3

I tried to start it at the generator also. Cranks but does not fire. Batteries are good and just recently had oil and fuel filter changed. The switch on my dash has a lighting bolt on the left side and "on" on the right side. I've used the generator a few times and usually the "on" lights up but now the lighting bolt is lit up and won't start. Thank you for the help
New Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 08:46 AM   #4

On my old Fleetwood storm you would prime the generator by hitting one side of the button. The light would illuminate. Then you hit the other side of the button to crank.

If it has been a long time then you might need to prime a few times before it fires.
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 10:27 AM   #5

How full is you gas tank? And has rv been in storage long? How many hours ?
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 09-06-2022, 03:07 PM   #6

I agree with duster73 and donr103 Prime that thing, mine if I hit the switch down for about 8 seconds, its primed and the light will flash on the switch, then hit the ignition side and see what happens. Also in some rigs if the fuel tank is at 1/4 or below the generator will not run. It's a safety feature so you won't run yourself out of gas. Just a couple of thoughts. Also check your fuel lines and filters. Kev
kmc9104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:30 PM   #7

I canít prime mine other than cranking it as Onan didnít make a prime only option on mine. So at first it just cranks and then starts after a moment. I think yours could just need priming like the others have said.
Old 09-06-2022, 05:48 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I concur with the gas tank being below 1/4 full. It just won't run.

If you can easily start it from the generator, and pushing the dash start button for say 10 seconds with cranking but no start, you will need to get the wiring checked to or at the genset. Generally these are very robust.
Old 09-06-2022, 06:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maller01 View Post
I canít prime mine other than cranking it as Onan didnít make a prime only option on mine. So at first it just cranks and then starts after a moment. I think yours could just need priming like the others have said.
Onan set up holding the stop switch to prime the generators, try it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 06:22 AM   #10

Yeah they didnít give me that on this model either. Apparently mine is one of the only ones with no way to prime other than cranking it. I even called Onan about it and they looked it up on their tech team and said there is no separate prime option.
Old 11-22-2022, 11:45 AM   #11

I also have that era bounder. What model generator? Mine is a 7500w quiet diesel. They are known for their glow plug controller going bad, and since it is part of the inverter circuit board you have to replace the entire thing at $2000 new or $800 rebuilt.

But first check the fuses which are underneath the coolant add part of genny. Let us know what you find. I have the HDKAJ service manual if you want it.

Also, recc'd you add year / model of bounder and engine to your sig line.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:52 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Welcome, New Bounder!

I also have a 2000 Bounder, a 34T. The "lightning bolt" side of the rocker switch on the dashboard will shut off a running generator. Others on this forum have said that pressing the lightning bolt side will prime a non-running generator and I believe them. I occasionally press that side of the switch if the generator is reluctant to run, but I've never had a problem getting it to eventually start. Although my rig is currently parked and hibernating for the winter, I get in it about every two weeks to run the generator and the engine about ten minutes or so while I walk through the coach looking for signs of critters and leaks. If it is a nice day or we have had a huge storm I climb up on the roof to see if I have an insurance claim to file.

Best Regards,
Frank & Lexi
Indianapolis
Old 11-30-2022, 11:47 PM   #13

Our gasoline powered Fleetwood model, has the lighting bolt (dash board) on the generator 'start' side. We normally crank between 3 to 8 seconds before the generator starts.
The other side of the switch, has no lightning bolt, and is depressed to stop the generator.

Let us know:
- if your rig is gasoline or diesel powered
- what brand and model generator
- picture of your dash switch may help others identify your set up.

Tags
generator, bounder, switch