Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2023, 02:38 PM   #1

2000 Discovery not starting after winter.

Long story short, the last trip I took was a 600 mile round trip in September of last year. On the way back about 2 hours from home, I stopped to fill up and the RV wouldn't start back up, the battery levels were showing in the red. I was able to jump start the propane generator and it charged up the batteries a bit. I was able to get home and parked it for the winter. It was parked outside under a cover, but it's next to a wooded area where critters might be an issue. Fast forward to today, I went to get the cover off and get it prepped for a little family trip and it wouldn't start at all, it barely cranked. I replaced all the batteries, including the 6V house batteries since they were all due for a replacement, and still the engine barely turns over, it feels like the starter is very weak to crank, no other way to explain it. I'm not sure where to even begin and what troubleshooting steps to take. The RV took me on a 3,000 mile round trip a year ago without a single hiccup (other than a flat on the dolly). It always started without any issues, I'm just not sure where to begin. To make things worse, it's parked in Michigan, which is about 2hrs away from where I live, so I want to get as many ideas before I head back over there. Thanks for any imput.
DanielW98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2023, 03:01 PM   #2

What chassis and engine ?

In Freightliner chassis ; of your vintage ; with either Caterpillar or Cummins , the starter has a direct ground cable to the chassis batteries .

So first thing is to recheck all battery connections , making sure both the frame ground and the starter ground are clean and tight , then get a look at the starter and clean both the power and ground cable connections there.
Old 05-25-2023, 03:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
So first thing is to recheck all battery connections , making sure both the frame ground and the starter ground are clean and tight , then get a look at the starter and clean both the power and ground cable connections there.

Yup, that is where to start.
Old 05-25-2023, 03:18 PM   #4

Here's what my cables, at the starter looked like ( prior to clean up ) ; note there are smaller cables attached to each terminal , those are power & ground for the alternator , so don't misplace or swap those around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0292 (640x360).jpg
Views:	20
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	393774  
Old 05-25-2023, 05:29 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
+ 2 on cleaning those battery cable and the starter cables and engine to frame cables.

Make sure you leave the power cables off the main battery positive connector when cleaning those starter connectors. If you are not sure if you got the right cable off the battery, use a volt meter on the starter connectors to check and see if you have voltage.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 07:09 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it's a Freightliner chassis with the Cummins. I will take a look at the wire hookups again. Would a bad connection prevent the starter from operating completely? Right now, it's cranking but it just sounds kind of weak.
Old 05-25-2023, 07:15 PM   #7

Poor connection = poor starter performance.

You replaced the batteries ; were they fully charged ?

If the " New " batteries had been on the dealers shelf for a while , could be they're not up to snuff.

BTW: Even new batteries can be faulty , did you try starting with the " boost " button held on ?
Old 05-25-2023, 07:24 PM   #8

OP: Do you have a Cummins lift pump? If so, you might want to tighten the 3 bolts that connect the lift pump to the lift pump manifold.

Why? ...Because if you are sucking air into your fuel lines your engine will not start or may start and die in 30-45 seconds, especially if it's still cold outside.
2004Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 07:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004Horizon View Post
OP: Do you have a Cummins lift pump? If so, you might want to tighten the 3 bolts that connect the lift pump to the lift pump manifold.

Why? ...Because if you are sucking air into your fuel lines your engine will not start or may start and die in 30-45 seconds, especially if it's still cold outside.
This info applies to a 1998>2003 Cummins ISC 8.3L with a CAPS fuel injection pump .
OP , only posted Cummins for the engine so we're not sure of the series .
Old 05-29-2023, 07:14 AM   #10

I was able to head over to the RV yesterday. I charged the chassis batteries at home (brand new batteries 05/23 manufacture). House batteries are also new. After hooking everything back up the starter doesn't even attempt to crank anymore. On my last visit a week ago, it was still trying to start the engine, but it was just cranking very weak. There is an audible "click" in the rear by the engine when I turn the key to on. The other thing that I noticed this time is that the "check trans" light and the "oil" light are both on. All the wires are hooked up fine. The transmission keypad is lit up and showing "N". Not sure where to look next. I did also bring a battery tester with me and both batteries are showing 100%. However when I put them in the RV and connect everything , the tester shows 40%. I disconnected all the wires and started to hook everything one by one to see if anything is causing the test to show 40% and I isolated two wires that cause the reading to drop to 40%. One of the wires is a small red wire that is on the right chassis battery, when that wire is disconnected, the battery light is on and also the battery gauge in the cluster doesn't move towards the middle. the second wire is thicker and is on the left chassis battery. I haven't had a chance to get under to try to trace it yet. Not sure if I should try to replace the starter relay or the starter itself or is it something to do with the transmission, since the "check trans" light is on. Like I said, it was attempting to crank last week, but nothing but a click yesterday.
Old 05-29-2023, 07:18 AM   #11

Here's a pic of the wires that cause the reading to drop to 40%.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20230528_192624848.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	394029   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230528_192614949.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	394030  

Name:	PXL_20230528_192621297.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	394031  
Old 05-29-2023, 09:12 AM   #12

You should follow the large cable ( that's causing the battery reading to drop ) to see if it's the main power cable to the starter .

Was there a large arc when you hooked that cable up ?

The starter drive may be locked into the ring gear and as soon as the cable is hooked up the starter could be trying to turn the engine .
Old 05-29-2023, 09:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielW98 View Post
I was able to head over to the RV yesterday. I charged the chassis batteries at home (brand new batteries 05/23 manufacture). House batteries are also new. After hooking everything back up the starter doesn't even attempt to crank anymore. On my last visit a week ago, it was still trying to start the engine, but it was just cranking very weak. There is an audible "click" in the rear by the engine when I turn the key to on. The other thing that I noticed this time is that the "check trans" light and the "oil" light are both on. All the wires are hooked up fine. The transmission keypad is lit up and showing "N". Not sure where to look next. I did also bring a battery tester with me and both batteries are showing 100%. However when I put them in the RV and connect everything , the tester shows 40%. I disconnected all the wires and started to hook everything one by one to see if anything is causing the test to show 40% and I isolated two wires that cause the reading to drop to 40%. One of the wires is a small red wire that is on the right chassis battery, when that wire is disconnected, the battery light is on and also the battery gauge in the cluster doesn't move towards the middle. the second wire is thicker and is on the left chassis battery. I haven't had a chance to get under to try to trace it yet. Not sure if I should try to replace the starter relay or the starter itself or is it something to do with the transmission, since the "check trans" light is on. Like I said, it was attempting to crank last week, but nothing but a click yesterday.

Get a remote start button and attach to start rely (not the one on starter) the one on frame. If batteries are hooked up correct and good with key on it should crank it. If it does then that relay is your problem. It happened to mine.
Old 05-29-2023, 09:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Get a remote start button and attach to start rely (not the one on starter) the one on frame. If batteries are hooked up correct and good with key on it should crank it. If it does then that relay is your problem. It happened to mine.
My starter relay as failed twice ; I now have a remote start button wired in , so I don't have to crawl under to start the motor.
Last failure was after fueling up and I had to slide under , through someone's fuel spill .

The Freightliner starter relay is mounted to a metal plate on the frame close to the motor ( mine is on the passenger side frame rail behind the dual wheels )
Only visible from under the coach . Red arrow.
Yours could be a similar location .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Battery CBs.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	394050  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MH starter relay.pdf (109.7 KB, 11 views)

Tags
cover, discovery, not starting, winter