Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2022, 01:42 AM   #1

2000 Pace Arrow Vision 36B Fuel Pump

Last week I bid an won my auction. This is my first RV an I've been told this one is a very good find. However, the fuel pump is not working an the 70 gallon fuel tank is full. How do I drain the fuel from the tank so I can install a new pump. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Grizzly64
Grizzly64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2022, 04:43 AM   #2

Been there, done that -

Go to WalMart and buy enough of the red 5 gallon gas cans (now plastic) to handle most of what’s left in the gas tank and a siphon hose.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:53 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Hopefully someone will be along that can help! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:16 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

We are glad you joined us. Congratulations on the purchase of your first RV. There is a wealth of RV info available to you here just by asking. Browse the forums that interest you and don't be afraid to ask questions as our members like to help when they can.

Post often and share your new RV adventures with us. Enjoy the forums.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 09:55 AM   #5

I would check with neighbors or farmers.. see if they want free fuel.. because unless you need 5 or 10 extra 5 gallon fuel can laying around.. it's going to get expensive just buying fuel cans.. so get cans from them.. that way you can save on fuel cans.. that can save you space in storage of un needed fuel cans and $$$..
Sometimes if you get under coach.. you will see that you have to disconnect large fuel filler neck anyway.. it can be easier to siphon out there.. or many tanks are pre made to fill from right and left side.. they just put a rubber cap over unused filler port.. you could have access there..

Now just don't take it for granted it needs new pump.. could be fuse, relay or battery.. or critters.. if it has been sitting.. critters love to eat on rubber fuel lines and short wiring..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 08-26-2022, 12:45 AM   #6

Thank you for the replies. I went and bought two,40 gallons each, plastic barrels to put the fuel in. As an after thought I posted on the site "Nextdoor Neighbor" about the used fuel and had several reply back wanting it. That part of the problem is solved. I've have everything working on the coach except the drivers window which in the grand skim of things is very minor and the fuel pump not working. The fuses are good and the relay is good. I'm about 99% sure the pump is bad. So far I haven't been able to siphon the fuel out. I've bought an external fuel pump but would rather have the internal pump the coach calls for. Friday or Saturday I will attempt to use the external pump to empty the tank. Again thanks for all the suggestions an please keep them coming.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:17 AM   #7

Drop the tank and put a new fuel pump back in. Don’t use a store brand replacement pump.

When I replaced mine - it wasn’t about price or warranty, but long term reliability. I believe the replacement I went with was Bosch, from OReilly’s.
But my pump had not failed - it was the short 2” long hose from the pump outlet to the pickup tube assembly within the pump/sending unit assembly - it had failed (probably due to the ethanol in the gas on a ‘91 coach).

And don’t add an external pump as a band-aid. It may work great for now, but depending on how well the tank fuel pump can pass fuel, you might be creating future problems.
Old 08-26-2022, 11:21 PM   #8

I've tried siphoning with no luck. The tank has 70 gallons. Any ideas on how to get the fuel out please? Again thanks for the replies.
Old 08-27-2022, 04:56 AM   #9

What is it that is preventing you from getting the siphoning to work?

Your 40 gallon tanks can’t be too tall or you’ll have trouble getting the siphon to work.

Harbor Freight sells a drill powered pump that can be used to transfer the fuel. It is not rated for fuel transfer, but as long as you have no leaks at the connections you should be OK.

Regardless of if you are siphoning or pumping - it will probably be easiest to disconnect the fuel filler hose at the tank (as was suggested) and run your hose in there. (When I did my ‘91, I was able to slide the hose down the fuel fill door but your comment made me think of how my Workhorse fuel tank was built - and it is designed different with a long filler hose that would be harder to siphon from).
Old 08-28-2022, 12:02 AM   #10

I have a electric fuel pump I've rigged up and mounted on a saw horse today. I have two deep cycle batteries charged and ready. I've disconnected the filler line as close too the tank that I could. In the morning I will be feeding a line into the tank and hopefully be removing the old gas from the tank. There is four different pumps according to Oreilly's here but they were troopers and ordered all four and are waiting on me to bring my pump in so they can match the one I have. I will update tomorrow evening (Sunday Night) my progress. This RV only has 36,000 miles and is like show room floor condition. Too say I can't wait to take it for a weekend get a way would be a huge understatement.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:01 PM   #11

Update on siphoning the old fuel out...

As promised in my last post here is my update. I wasn't able to get my siphon hose in the large gas filler hole to work but was able to get the small vent line off and my siphon hose just barely fit but was able to hook up my external pump and get about 25 gallons out before the storm shut me down. I'm hopeful that I will get the rest out Monday and on Tuesday be able to drop the tank and get it cleaned out and the new fuel pump installed. Once I have the fuel issue resolved I will continue the pressure washer of the exterior and then soap and water wash completed. Then the last known maintenance issue is minor but I want to fix is the driver window doesn't work. I've done an oil change on the engine and generator. I've changed the transmission filter and it has new fluid. I've changed the radiator fluid. I've changed the oil in the rear end. The coach has all new batteries. The wiper blades have been replaced. The fresh water, grey water and black water tanks have been checked and seem to be in good order. The brakes have been checked and seem to be good. I ordered six new tires and will be installed after I've installed the new fuel pump and can drive the coach too the tire shop. Both A/C units work very well, definitely no issues there. I will take the coach and have the LP gas system checked at the shop at Camping World. If anyone can think of something I may have missed please let me know.
Old 08-29-2022, 07:32 AM   #12

You say brakes are good and in working order - did you bleed the brakes or just push the pedal?

If the coach has been sitting long and the PO did not properly maintain them then you may have issues while driving.

If the brake fluid in the master cylinder is anything other than clear then I would flush the brake system before going very far.

You also need to check anything made of rubber - hoses, vacuum lines, coolant hoses.

Once you get her home - order and replace the shocks.
Old 08-30-2022, 12:07 AM   #13

Yes sir the brake fluid was replaced and the brakes were bled. I've done a material condition check on all the hoses and wires and expect a small surprise or two along the way after I start driving it to work out it's kinks. Changing the shocks is definitely something I have not thought about and is now on the list. Although I'm wondering if the shocks are still good because the PO always kept the RV jacks down so not much if any was the tires touching the ground.
Old 08-30-2022, 01:51 AM   #14

Shocks on MoHo’s are like the tires - they age out.

2 MoHo’s of 18+ years old when we got them - 2 of 4 shocks bad on each coach (actually the “newer” coach had 2 shot and 2 marginal).

Tags
ace, fuel, fuel pump, pace arrow, pump, vision