Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #1

2001 Fleetwood Southwind 36T 12v switch

My water pump on/off switch in the bathroom has started lightly glowing when in the "off" postion. It did not do this before. When in the "on" position, it is brightly lit as usual.
What should I look for as a cause? Is it dangerous?
loreeb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
It sounds as if you have a couple of volts standing on the switch in the off position. The light is just that, a light bulb on the output side of the switch. If it glows bright, it has 12 volts. half bright maybe 6 volts. glowing a couple of volts? It shouldn't be dangerous, but if it worries you, you can disconnect the switch and read the voltage on the wires. The switch could be leaking or it could be back feeding from another source.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 2002 Southwind 35R and the pump switches, there are 3 of them, actually provide input to a controller that switches the power to the water pump. In our case the switch is actually a momentary style. Rocker it once to turn off and again to turn on, or vice versa.

I am not absolutely sure, but something like this Water Pump Controller is used.

My understanding is that there are three wires from the controller to each switch. One wire is connected to the SW line which goes to the momentary switch which is connected to ground. Pushing the momentary switch ground the SW line and a relay provides power to the LOAD on the controller. The second wire is from the LOAD terminal and provides a light in the momentary switch to indicate that there is power to the water pump (the other side of the light is connected to ground). The 3rd wire is ground. The wiring is low voltage wire, 18 gauge or so. The wires can be daisy chained.

I would open up all of the switches and make sure everything is ok. You make have a failing controller.

Also, good luck locating the controller.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #4

Many thanks to both "alvinc" & "ga traveler" for your replies!
I did remove the switch in the bathroom that was glowing and all connections seemed tight. All three pump switches are working the pump normally and only the one in the bathroom had the "glow".
Since running the pump from all three switches, the "glow" has stopped.
I will look for the controller and may go ahead and replace it if I find it.
We are fulltimers so everything needs to work all the time even though we are usually hooked up to park water. Fulltiming does make it a little harder to work on projects like this but we love it!
loreeb99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, southwind