Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2020, 11:48 PM   #1

2003 Eagle 42e unknown Item engine bay

Hello, recent new to us purchase 2003 AC Eagle 42e, our first RV and first post. Lots of little issues that I’m addressing which is not surprising for a 17yr old coach. Enjoying so far though. Anyway, Not sure what this is device controls that is in the engine bay. Probably an easy one for ya but I have no good guess. Retracts something?

Also, there is a standard electrical switch at the foot of the bed I can’t determine what it controls. Anyone?

Edit...sorry meant to post to AC subforum...feel free to move there if you are a moderator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50BC1AE8-A7CF-4554-86BF-5F0176E81274.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	253.5 KB
ID:	288985   Click image for larger version

Name:	2960B360-84E5-4A97-8B7A-7FF43E696065.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	288986  

kehodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2020, 04:13 AM   #2

Top picture is a light. There is a switch to turn it on and a little latch near the bulb end that releases the light and you can pull it out, the cord is 3' long or so. Then use the crank to reel it back in. Not unusual for them not to work anymore, I see yours is switched on, but not illuminated. Check the bulb and power. They originally came from 90's era Chevy trucks.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:41 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes, engine compartment light. You should find one in the generator bay as well -- driver's side. There is an additional switch on the dash on mine so if yours isn't working check the dash switch. I'm not sure what the switch on the bed frame goes to unless it is for the engine block heater. Lift the bed to examine.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 06:21 AM   #4

Switch is for the block heater. It will probably have its own breaker marked as such. Should be a lighted switch. Turn it on (light comes on) then go find the breaker and turn it off light should go out.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 02:05 PM   #5

In my power cord compartment has a receptacle with a cord and plug in it which is the block heater and the bed switch turns that receptacle on and off.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:22 PM   #6

Appreciate the responses. The engine and generator retractable lights both actually work now that I know what they are. just had to flip the dash switch labeled “hood switch” and ensured these lights were in the on position at each device.

The engine block heater switch is not lighted on mine, or not lighting up at least. Good to know this is what this switch is for though. The breaker box doesn’t list a block heater..closest was “nuheat” which is supposed to be for ? A Heated flooring option? I don’t think this unit has nuheat if so. I’ll now pop the bed up and trace the wiring to see which breaker switch it goes to, plus ensure the switch is powered and block heater is working properly.

Thanks all, I’ll probably have more questions as no detailed user manual came with this coach. The online manuals I was able to track down (by searching these forums) didn’t have these details as to what is what on this specific model. Thanks again
Old 06-11-2020, 05:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehodder View Post
Appreciate the responses. The engine and generator retractable lights both actually work now that I know what they are. just had to flip the dash switch labeled “hood switch” and ensured these lights were in the on position at each device.

The engine block heater switch is not lighted on mine, or not lighting up at least. Good to know this is what this switch is for though. The breaker box doesn’t list a block heater..closest was “nuheat” which is supposed to be for ? A Heated flooring option? I don’t think this unit has nuheat if so. I’ll now pop the bed up and trace the wiring to see which breaker switch it goes to, plus ensure the switch is powered and block heater is working properly.

Thanks all, I’ll probably have more questions as no detailed user manual came with this coach. The online manuals I was able to track down (by searching these forums) didn’t have these details as to what is what on this specific model. Thanks again
I checked my breaker panel and you are right. I labeled mine once I found it. It is shared with another one. You’ll have to trace it. Yours may not be lit but it looks exactly the same as mine and in the exact same spot.

Cheers. Let us know how it goes.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:31 PM   #8

Pulled the bed up, geesh, lots o stuff down there...wiring galore, big electronics panel for all the internal lights, another genset controller (why an extra i have no idea), surge guard gear, slide controller, couple incandescent dimmer modules(?), and aquahot heater rad unit. Dusty as heck and doesn't look like anyone has been here cleaning anything since manufactured.

Anyway, traced the wires to that switch- goes to the breaker labeled "general purpose" She's live when switched "on" powers a receptacle that's also under the bed. A cord plugged into that goes through the floor toward the cummings ism. Assuming the block heater however tested and the cord doesn't have any electrical resistance. Next I'll climb under the coach and check where that cord goes and what it is.

After that I've got some aquahot burner issues to troubleshoot...then some sealing a few things on the roof with eternabond (if it ever stops raining here to dry up enough to do properly- when is summer coming to Kelowna?)
Old 06-12-2020, 07:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehodder View Post
Pulled the bed up, geesh, lots o stuff down there...wiring galore, big electronics panel for all the internal lights, another genset controller (why an extra i have no idea), surge guard gear, slide controller, couple incandescent dimmer modules(?), and aquahot heater rad unit. Dusty as heck and doesn't look like anyone has been here cleaning anything since manufactured.

Anyway, traced the wires to that switch- goes to the breaker labeled "general purpose" She's live when switched "on" powers a receptacle that's also under the bed. A cord plugged into that goes through the floor toward the cummings ism. Assuming the block heater however tested and the cord doesn't have any electrical resistance. Next I'll climb under the coach and check where that cord goes and what it is.
Keep in mind it’s a heater. So essentially a long coil of wire. So very low resistance.

That other generator box is probably the transfer switch.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:30 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

In most American Coach models, the block heater switch controls an outlet, probably located in the shore cord bay. The block heater is plugged into that outlet, but most owners unplug it because the switch too often gets turned on accidentally. You can use that same outlet as an additional outside power outlet at the campsite.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:59 AM   #11

I have an 02 Eagle. As far as I know there is no switch for the outlet in the power cord bay. Power is always on so I plug in the heater when needed.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:27 AM   #12

My 03 42e doesn't have a shore power bay. Shore cable is behind a small cover on the exterior that has only the cord and power reel in/out switch.

I've found the 110ac switch at the end of the bed controls an outlet that is also under the bed on mine. Then a block heater cord is plugged into that that snakes straight down through a hole to engine underneath.
Old 06-19-2020, 11:26 AM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
Anyone know the bulb size? Mine has R19/10YF and I think it's a 1156. Not sure.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:40 PM   #14

They both still worked so I didn’t check to see, but pretty sure they are 1156s. Everything in anywhere in the basement were 1156s when I changed them over to LEDs a while back.

Tags
engine