Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2013, 07:36 AM   #1

2003 Excursion Issues?

I'm seriously considering purchase of a 2003 Fleetwood Excursion 39L that I recently located. Mileage is low, floor plan is good, cosmetic appearance is good. Still trying to get my hands on maintenance records and a few other things. Are there any specific issues with this model that I should be aware of? Any thoughts from other owners? Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.
HamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well I have a 2005. need to know more about it. What motor?
But I can tell you if you like the floor plan and it price is right have someone (good mechanic) check it out. Take it for a ride and see how it performs. Try it on some hills if you have any around you.
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #3

It's a 330 HP Cat diesel with Allison 6 speed on a Freightliner chassis.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamIam View Post
It's a 330 HP Cat diesel with Allison 6 speed on a Freightliner chassis.

well I think you have the 3126 Cat. It is a good engine. I have the C7. Have it checked out and then just take care of it. You can find all kinds info on this forum about that engine.
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #5

Hi HamIam, I have a 2007 Excursion40 E. I don't know if this a common problem, But I have an issue with the rear bathroom. When the sun hits the passenger side of the rv the inside wall pulls away from the vanity almost 3/8 inch. When it cools down the wall goes back to the vanity. I don't get it. The vanity is secure and when I push against the wall, the wall won' t budge. I also have had to replace 3 out of 4 leveling jacks, all covered under extended warranty. Other than those items mentioned we have been very pleased with our Excursion. Have it checked out. Good luck.

Fearlessfritz
Fearlessfrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
i have a 2003 excursion 39j love it its been a real good coach we bought it in 2006 and travel at least once a month just check it out really good. hi fearlessfritz i have the same thing you have with the back bathroom but it seams to not bother anything.ratfish
ratfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:57 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi HamIam, we owned an 03 Excursion with the 330 Cat, good engine never any problems. Of course get it checked by a qualified diesel mechanic. Also I would suggest an engine oil analysis from Cat, most shops have the kit simply supply a sample of the engine oil to them. I too had the bath issue and simply applied a larger caulk line as my vanity top separated from the exterior wall, used a small amount of Gorilla glue to bond the top back into place, worked great. As with any used product use due diligence. The 03 Excursion is still out their on the highway!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
The 330 Cat and 6 speed Allison transmission have served us well. If you like the floor plan and the internal checks (as posted above) come thru fine....your ready to go!! 78,000 miles and drives like a dream.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:30 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We just purchased 2004 excursion with 30K miles. Mostly minor problems with exception of AC which just found out both units need to be replaced. We bought it from a dealer with 30 day warranty. So we took it out for couple of trips and checked out all systems. So far dealer has been good taking care of all including the AC. Even with the low milage they had to replace all tires. I would suggest taking it to a chassis shop have it checked out. Good luck!! Be careful if you are buying it from Camping World..long story worst experience!!
Excursion04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:57 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Taking an Excursion with an Excursion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamIam View Post
I'm seriously considering purchase of a 2003 Fleetwood Excursion 39L that I recently located. Mileage is low, floor plan is good, cosmetic appearance is good. Still trying to get my hands on maintenance records and a few other things. Are there any specific issues with this model that I should be aware of? Any thoughts from other owners? Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.
Tires, batteries, fluids and filters, like any other rig of that vintage. Indoor storage and steady maintenance trump mileage, always.

This was our first RV, and I was delighted with its elegance and value.

The Hehr windows those years are prone to fog, a real pain. I bought mine at 84K miles, sold it at 100K. The salesman said it rode better than any of the 200 buses he'd sold to date. The key: new Koni shocks, new tires, lots of undercoating, a new bushing kit for the anti-sway bar, scrupulous adherence to Spartan maintenance guidelines plus re-torquing the anti-sway brackets when doing lube service.

One horrible oversight by Fleetwood in those years was the use of vinyl clad particleboard cabinet frames. While a brown laundry marker can dress up the inevitable edge-scuffing, make sure they've been gently used.

The tandem fresh water tanks often leak via the tubing that connects one to the other, or as the thin-walled nipples collapse under the strain of ring clamps. Easy to rectify, but ensure that the bay has not rusted beneath the tanks.

Spartan chassis of the vintage break boots around the ball joints. An ESP like Good Sam -- this one is worthless in my humble experience -- will deny coverage of suspension problems that can be traced, no matter how indirectly, to boots.

The final check: drag your finger under each and every window, around the entryway. Sight down the side, look for bulges in the fiberglass; and, if the wallpaper or fiberglass is bulging and/or wrinkled more than a tiny bit, run -- don't walk -- away. Leaks that have led to exterior or interior delamination generally are show-stoppers.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #11

Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts and experience. Most helpful!