Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2021, 09:45 AM   #1

2003 Fleetwood Revolution slide issues

Hi to all,
Does anyone know if the main slide on this 03 revolution operate on the chassis batteries or the house batteries or both. Also, if the engine and gen/set are running should that give you enough juice to operate. The bedroom slide works fine but the main slide fails to work at times. When you try to activate, you can hear a click from the slide motor area but no movement. The manual states the chassis batteries operate the slides, but the previous owner feels the house batteries are weak. I would think if the motor and generator are both running, that shouldn't stop it from operating.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Bob
BobbyT49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2021, 10:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyT49 View Post
Hi to all,

Does anyone know if the main slide on this 03 revolution operate on the chassis batteries or the house batteries or both. Also, if the engine and gen/set are running should that give you enough juice to operate. The bedroom slide works fine but the main slide fails to work at times. When you try to activate, you can hear a click from the slide motor area but no movement. The manual states the chassis batteries operate the slides, but the previous owner feels the house batteries are weak. I would think if the motor and generator are both running, that shouldn't stop it from operating.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Mine are on house and per Fleetwood motor needs to be running. On mine you can look at batteries and see the wires coming from controller to house batteries. When my batteries got weak slide would not come in I hit the aux battery switch to get them in until I replace all house batteries.
Old 10-17-2021, 09:54 AM   #3

Thank you Tha_Rooster,
I'll keep that in mind. I plan on load testing the house batteries and probably replacing them all as they're about 4 yrs old. Hopefully that will solve my problem.
Much appreciate your intell.

Bob
Old 10-18-2021, 08:41 PM   #4

Hey guys,
Just an update. Unable to schedule to have batteries load tested, I checked with a regular multi-meter. Before attempting to start, the 2 chassis batteries showed both at 12volts even. The 4 house batteries showed at 6.0 even. Tried to start unit and it barely turned over and wouldn't start. Tried the aux start, still would not start. I started the generator (thank God that started) and let it charge for about 10 minutes. Checked the chassis batteries again, and both showed 13.2V-13.4V and the house batteries were up to 6.6V-6.8V. Then tried to start the coach again and it fired right up. Also, the slide worked just fine. The mystery continues until I can get it in the shop for an evaluation I guess.
Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks, Bob
Old 10-19-2021, 06:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Hey guys,
Just an update. Unable to schedule to have batteries load tested, I checked with a regular multi-meter. Before attempting to start, the 2 chassis batteries showed both at 12volts even. The 4 house batteries showed at 6.0 even. Tried to start unit and it barely turned over and wouldn't start. Tried the aux start, still would not start. I started the generator (thank God that started) and let it charge for about 10 minutes. Checked the chassis batteries again, and both showed 13.2V-13.4V and the house batteries were up to 6.6V-6.8V. Then tried to start the coach again and it fired right up. Also, the slide worked just fine. The mystery continues until I can get it in the shop for an evaluation I guess.
Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks, Bob

Glad it was something simple like dead batteries.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:37 AM   #6

Thanks Rooster, I hope that's the answer. I won't know for sure until I can get them load tested I guess. I'm still concerned about the non-starting, as the chassis batteries are only a little over 2 years old.
Bob
Old 10-19-2021, 02:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks Rooster, I hope that's the answer. I won't know for sure until I can get them load tested I guess. I'm still concerned about the non-starting, as the chassis batteries are only a little over 2 years old.
Bob

Does your MH stay plugged in? If so it should keep chassis and house batteries charged.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:32 PM   #8

Hey Rooster,
No, unfortunately I'm not allowed to park it at the house in my community. It's at a storage facility. Just waiting to get an appointment at a local shop. I'll be sure to update when I can.
Thanks, Bob
Old 10-19-2021, 07:01 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
So it sounds like you are trying to move the slides with 12.0v house batteries. 12.0v batteries are very discharged and won't do it. You need to be plugged in or running the generator to move your slide. Or at least with fully charged batteries. You said this yourself in post 4.
When we move the slides, we are always plugged in or running the generator. That is what you need to do. Hope that helps!
Old 10-19-2021, 07:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivanj View Post
So it sounds like you are trying to move the slides with 12.0v house batteries. 12.0v batteries are very discharged and won't do it. You need to be plugged in or running the generator to move your slide. Or at least with fully charged batteries. You said this yourself in post 4.
When we move the slides, we are always plugged in or running the generator. That is what you need to do. Hope that helps!
Yah. Beat me to it. 12 volt reading on an unloaded battery is dead dead dead.

On our 2003 Revolution the Cummins needed to be on or things were pretty sluggish. What part of the continent are you in? (Temperature wise).
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:02 PM   #11

Thanks krivanj and radar,
I'm aware the batteries need replacing, however I was having trouble with the slide even with everything running prior to the hard starting problem. Maybe just the beginning of what was to come. Hopefully a fresh set of batteries will cure all my ills.
I appreciate all your input.
Thanks, Bob
Old 10-21-2021, 07:35 PM   #12

Hey All,
Still waiting for an appointment at a shop to get the batteries tested, but today I noticed that I have 2 cables(1 pos and 1 neg) connecting my starting batteries directly to the house batteries. Shouldn't these be separate systems? I would think if one system gets low it would pull juice from the other to compensate, hence draining both. Shouldn't the house batteries be isolated
and a relay would allow charging of both systems when running or on shore power through the convertor. After watching several videos on changing the batteries, none showed any wired like this. Sorry if this is a stupid observation on my part, but it didn't make sense to me.
Thanks for any input. Bob
Old 10-22-2021, 05:15 AM   #13

2003 Fleetwood Revolution slide issues

Quote:
Hey All,

Still waiting for an appointment at a shop to get the batteries tested, but today I noticed that I have 2 cables(1 pos and 1 neg) connecting my starting batteries directly to the house batteries. Shouldn't these be separate systems? I would think if one system gets low it would pull juice from the other to compensate, hence draining both. Shouldn't the house batteries be isolated

and a relay would allow charging of both systems when running or on shore power through the convertor. After watching several videos on changing the batteries, none showed any wired like this. Sorry if this is a stupid observation on my part, but it didn't make sense to me.

In no way should there be direct wires connecting chassis and house batteries. I can’t imagine how it was done.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Hey All,
Generally there is a battery management system which is a big a$$ relay controlled by a circuit board keeping the two systems sparate. It’s possible that the previous owner had problems with that and just replaced it with two large cables. No problem connecting the two banks together when needed but not on a daily basis as deep cycle batteries shouldn’t be treated like starter batteries or vice versa.

You have a choice of restoring the original setup which would be big bucks (I wouldn’t do it) or just assume the role of battery management yourself. In other words, install something like a 350 amp cutoff switch between the two banks (on the positive). That way you can still self boost if needed, from time to time close the switch when the coach is in storage so the chassis batteries stay charged. Normal ops would be switch open, the alternator would charge the chassis batts and the charger/inverter would charge the house battery.

Other than adding the big a$$ switch I wouldn’t spend any money on it. It’ll be fine.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, revolution, slide