Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2014, 03:28 AM   #1

2003 Pace Arrow 36b 30 amp cord ?

Hi again.
From the owner’s manual I read that the original electrical entry is supposed to be 30 amps.
The owner of this 2003 36B that I plan to purchase told me that he replace the electrical cord because the old one was broken, I notice that it was a 50 amp cord.
Should it be a max 30 amps, is the 50 amp cord present a danger?
Thanks
Puzzlegb
nimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2014, 05:49 AM   #2
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzegb View Post
Hi again.
From the owner’s manual I read that the original electrical entry is supposed to be 30 amps.
The owner of this 2003 36B that I plan to purchase told me that he replace the electrical cord because the old one was broken, I notice that it was a 50 amp cord.
Should it be a max 30 amps, is the 50 amp cord present a danger?
Thanks
Puzzlegb
A 50 amp cord has the ability to carry more current than a 30 amp cord.

The 50 amp cord is "better" than the 30 amp cord.

There is no problem.

That being said, look a little further and make sure there is no damage to the box the cord is connected to.

If the 30 amp cord was left connected and the original owner drove away and ripped the cord out of the RV there may be damage to the RV.
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:17 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just make sure the 50A cord is wired correctly at the RV end, and that your 30A main breaker in the RV is in good condition. Basically, what you have is a long 50A to 30A dogbone.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:19 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
puzzegb, I see that this is your 3rd. post about this unit. Not trying to rain on your parade but I think you need to take a real hard look about buying this unit. For a 2003 I'm thinking it may have a few issues that may not be known. Read the attached link about 30 amp and 50 amp cord http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/newb...ts-215773.html There are a lot of used MH's out there so it may pay to shop around. Good luck.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:24 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Unless you were very experienced I would also find another coach. Sounds like a few things might have been cobbled together.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This coach should have a EMS, allowing the 30a service to provide foe the two air conditioners. If another large load, such as the microwave, come on while both air conditioners are on, it 'sheds' one to reduce the load. It works quite well. But having been replaced with a 50 cable it makes me wonder if more than just the cable was altered. Likely the EMS was either bypassed because the PO did not like it or it malfunctioned. I would definitely get to the truth of what was done.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #7

Glennlever … I just learn the real story behind the 30 amp cord that the owner replace with a 50 amp, on their first experience they rented a site for the summer just to discover that it had only 50 amp to offer, so they where stuck and the owner went and bought a 50 amp cord and had some one install it, so no damage to the box by driving on the old cable..
In a later response some one told me ’’Newbies considering a 2000 Discovery... thoughts?
that a 50 amps is actually 2 legs of 50 amps power for a total of 100 amps so I figured that the 2 live line from the 50 amp cord where actually routed to the single line of the 30 amp box.. ?
At first when I saw the white switch on the kitchen counter giving a selection of either the micro wave or the washer / dryer I thought that it was to give a break to the inverter 12 to 110 volt witch I think this rv doesn’t have.. now I understand that this rv is limited to 30 amp meaning 2 ac at knight or in day time one ac and one micro or w/d. but that still give me the freedom to take a 50 amp site and knowing that I can safely draw a max of 30 amp.
Although it’s very tempting to replace the main breaker with a 50 amp size, knowing that the main buss bar can handle it and that each component ’’ line’’ of the rv is wired for more that it can handle like a 15 amp breaker feeding a micro +a few lamp and an electrical heater would operate normally and blow if too much is ask from the 15 amp breaker.. But I won’t unless some on tell me that they have done it..
So…. I’ve got 2 line of 50 amp IN PHASE power going to a single 30 amp I/p line,, ? And I also have the possibility to install an other breaker box and feed it with one of the 50 amp I/p line, and use 3 new 15 amp breaker and feed separately the micro w/d and one a/c..
What can I guy do to get rite of 2 white switch on the kitchen counter..
Not trying to be smart, as we got along I just saw the picture..
Thanks a bunch
Old 08-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #8

98FPA Looking for a good deal …is what for the past 2 months I’ve been doing, practically night and day. At one point it was very intense, I’ve lost a 1000. On a down payment because I found a much better deal just to see it vanish because some one came with a full payment in cash..
I’m a fairly good mechanic but rv I don’t know the particular like waterproofing a windshield or why the covered dish on the roof is so low when I can see other dish stand right up there when in use..
I appreciate your comment and concern and I thank you, I’ve learn the fast and hard way, I believe some one up there made it so I would discover this present rv that we both feel in love with.
We’ll see what happen..
Thanks again.
Puzzlegb.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #9

VSHEETZ…. VERY good point, what is the meaning of EMS ?
By shedding you mean it would cut out one of the ac to allow the micro?
And where would that EMS box situated in this 2003 36b peace arrow..
By the way, where is the converter in this unit, I’ve read stories that some of them are under the washer/dryer.. ?
And later you mention the PO.. Again what is that and where is it..?
Thanks Vince.
Gilles..
Old 08-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
EMS = energy management system
PO = previous owner

Yes, in my example, the EMS cuts out one AC to allow power budget for the microwave.

If you gave one, pretty sure you do as the 2002 and 2003 PA's were very much alike, you will see shed indicators on the control panel.

The EMS circuitry is on a circuit board co-located with and behind the AC breaker panel.

My converter is under the refrigerator. Accessible by removing a drawer under the refrigerator.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
This coach should have a EMS, allowing the 30a service to provide foe the two air conditioners. If another large load, such as the microwave, come on while both air conditioners are on, it 'sheds' one to reduce the load. It works quite well. But having been replaced with a 50 cable it makes me wonder if more than just the cable was altered. Likely the EMS was either bypassed because the PO did not like it or it malfunctioned. I would definitely get to the truth of what was done.
Thanks for the info, I will look into that.
I’m I correct to assume that a 50 amp I/p has 2 live 50 amp line, in my case I would have to open the I/p box and see if they tied both line together or only use one of the 50 amp line. ????
Just trying to get the info before I jump into that..
Thanks again..
Gilles..