Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2019, 04:53 AM   #1

2003 Revolution?

Hi all. I’m considering trading into a 2003 Revolution 40C. Not familiar with Fleetwood Revolution. Anything I should be aware of. Will have it professionally evaluated but appreciate any pointers from the knowledgeable folks here.
Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2019, 05:35 AM   #2

Also it's been so long since I did the Norcold to Samsung switch I forget what is what but anyone know if the Samsung will fit? Thanks
Old 10-02-2019, 06:04 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Hi MDC99,

I've had my 2003 Rev 40C for several years now. It's served us well and will continue to do so for many more years.

One thing to keep in mind with it being older, you'll most likely need to invest in some upkeep on the chassis at some point in time.

In 2018, I took ours to the Freightliner factory service center in Gaffney, SC. I spent around $4,500 on it. Replaced airbags, brake work, torsion bar, AC, full service on filter and oil (to include change the tranny back to full synthetic oil), and a couple of other things I've forgotten.

Some of the work I could do myself, but I decided to have them give it the once over and get it back into shape. I was not disappointed. The coach handled like new.

I have a project thread on this forum: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/proj...0c-285523.html

The first project I documented was my changeout of the Norcold to a Whirlpool in my case.

Hope this helps and be happy to answer other questions.

Dave
Mr. Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:12 AM   #4

We have had our 2004 40C since 2007. Now has 80k miles. Just returned from an almost 5k mile trip to the northeast. Best upgrade was to get rid of the Norcold headache with a GE residential. Also, removed the gas stove and replaced with a induction and dishwasher.
Great coach.
Ront77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:28 AM   #5

One more thing comes to mind. My 2004 40C did not have a fuel filter between the tank and the lift pump. The hose from the tank to lift pump started to degrade so I replaced the hose and added a filter at the rear but before the lift pump then routed the hose back to the lift pump.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:56 AM   #6

Hi guys. Thanks for the responses. We did finally complete the purchase after some extended negotiations.
Ront77, thanks we will look into that.
Mr. Dave, thanks for taking time to post all your modifications. Many of which are on our list. I’m sure I will have more questions. Our first project was removing the black backsplash in the kitchen. We replaced it with peel and stick glass look tiles. Will post pictures shortly. Next project is pulling up carpet and replacing with vinyl wood planks. Once again, sorry for the delay in responding to you guys.
Thanks again.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:15 AM   #7

Be careful when replacing carpet. Make SURE flooring will work under slides when retracted. Many stories of people replacing flooring with slides out only to find out the flooring is too high for the slides when they try to bring the slides in!

Opps!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:31 PM   #8

I replaced our carpet with Engineered Wood from Home Depot
No issues with the slide. 2004 40c
Old 02-25-2020, 03:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ront77 View Post
I replaced our carpet with Engineered Wood from Home Depot
No issues with the slide. 2004 40c

Bringing this back to the top.

I also have a 2004 40C. Am wanting to replace the original carpet with an engineered hard wood. The only reason I haven’t is the fear of replacing the flooring under the slide.

How difficult was the removal of the carpet and install of new flooring under the slide? Any special tricks or things you did to make it work? Wanting to do the carpet in living room first but also looking at the bedroom slide. Would also want to do the kitchen as well and get rid of the old tile!

Thanks for any thoughts!
rockcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:14 AM   #10

2003 Revolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockcity View Post
Bringing this back to the top.

I also have a 2004 40C. Am wanting to replace the original carpet with an engineered hard wood. The only reason I haven’t is the fear of replacing the flooring under the slide.

How difficult was the removal of the carpet and install of new flooring under the slide? Any special tricks or things you did to make it work? Wanting to do the carpet in living room first but also looking at the bedroom slide. Would also want to do the kitchen as well and get rid of the old tile!

Thanks for any thoughts!

I removed the carpet in the living room only. I have not done the bedroom or kitchen.

The living room slide out presented no problem. The slideout floats over the carpet and now the wood. I just removed the drawer under the couch to give me a little room to work. The slide is still carpeted. With the couch installed you cannot see much of the carpet. I just cut the carpet around the slideout and installed wood up to the carpet.
The most difficult part was cutting the wood around the curved tile in the entryway.

The transition from wood to the kitchen tile was bridged with matching trim. It’s nailed in place.

I did not remove the driver and passengers chairs. I just cut the wood to fit around the chair bases then trimmed around the metal bases with speciality trim that matches the flooring.. Looks good.

The flooring in the main area is not glued down, it is floating.
I did use my trim gun to tack areas around the edges and wherever needed.

I used engineered wood from Home Depot. They also have a big selection of matching trim pieces.

It’s been in service for about 2 years with only one issue. A dog bone got up under the couch tray and when the slide out was moved in/out it scratched the wood. My wife did a great job of painting/staining the scratch. Now we check for bones before the slide is moved.

Good luck - you will love the wood.

I forgot to mention, I installed a foam vapor shield under the wood. I also got it a Home Depot.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:00 AM   #11

Good to see a Revolution thread back at the top LOL. I replaced the carpeted areas with the Outlast laminate, in my case I used "Jacoba Paradise" which I think is a good match to my medium finish wood cabinets. MrDave and Ront77 have covered most of the details that I can think of. The only issue I can think of that I wasn't aware of, is that there are some "stove bolts" most of which were recessed(compressed) into the plywood but there were a couple that I had to end up pounding with a sledge hammer to flatten them. I did approach the captain pedestal trim a little differently (will enclose a pic). I used vinyl cove base and glued them in place. I did remove tile in a previous coach (Holiday Rambler) and that was quite a project.

Also enclosing pic of replacing mirrored black glass with peel and stick tiles. Forgot I hadn't posted pic.

Not to hijack the thread but anyone want to explain the water heater to me? I am under the impression that it is a gas/electric combo. My previous coach had a separate switch to turn on either the gas or electric, or you could turn on both at the same time for faster heating. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200226_110853.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	276229   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200226_110910.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	276230  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200226_110704.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	276231  
Old 02-26-2020, 10:03 AM   #12

Sorry, forgot to rotate the first 2 pics.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc99 View Post
Sorry, forgot to rotate the first 2 pics.

If your 2003 is like my 2004 the water heater is both gas and electric. It is controlled by a switch over the sink. Press the heater switch and the water heater will light. If it doesn’t light the switch will light up. Try again.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:59 PM   #14

My 04 Revolution has the gas/Elec combo water heater also. Again, switches are above the sink in the cabinet.

Thanks for the pics and details about the carpet replacement. I want to do the tile but think it’s too much work at the moment; lots of other projects to do before this summer’s 6-week trip.
rockcity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, revolution